The Joel Thompson Thread (Any Off-topic discussion will be deleted)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Joel certainly seems to be starting his time with Manly with the right motivation and attitude , let's hope that lady luck is on his side injury wise also .

I saw Joel post on Linked In this week where he said that his family are Manly supporters and he grew up supporting the club. He said it is a dream come true! Great to see he was an Eagle supporter!

You were spot on @Mac Man
He’s a well spoken country kid that grew up supporting the Sea Eagles :) and it’s nice to know his family already followed the sea eagles so they’ve already got their worn in Manly merch ;)

Quick interview :television:
Geez he looks good in those colours.. https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/16/thompson-settling-in-at-sea-eagles/

Joel is happy to be at Manly. A senior forward is just what we need to guide our young pack through those tough periods in a game. I doubt we will sustain any big thrashings this year such as we saw a couple of times last year - Bunnies and especially Dragons.

Hmmm, and what's this now??
Is he a player 'in the mould' of Ian Roberts??
thompson.PNG

These days being "on" a float doesn't infer anything ....

It can be as simple as making a statement of support .... and "jump on any PC correct bandwagon" GreenTurd will love him for it ...

Ian Roberts? We wish! Possibly the most feared defender alongside Igor and Ronnie Gibbs to don our great colours(or anyone elses for that matter) and his sexual persuasion had nothing to do with it...except in Garry Jacks' case. :rofl:
If Thommo shines for us half as bright as the other two, I will be stoked!.

Last edited:
SEA EAGLES

Joel Thompson has revealed he had a more lucrative deal on the table compared to Manly’s — and he didn’t tell his wife!

The experienced backrower has joined the Sea Eagles on a two-year deal after gaining an early release from St George Illawarra, and says it was his childhood love for the club and his respect for coach Trent Barrett which helped get him over the line.

“There were other options at another club,” Thompson told Fox Sports.

“Financially that was probably a better option by a bit but I grew up with my nan supporting Manly. I actually didn’t tell my wife the full figures of the other offer.:giggle:

“I grew up supporting Manly and I like Baz. They’re heading in the right direction so I thought it would be a good option.”

The 29-year-old admits it was hard to leave the Red V where he’d spent four seasons and become a fan favourite along the way.

“It was a hard decision. The Dragons did everything for me and my family and I love the club,” he said.

“It was hard but I had to take the opportunity to go to Manly, just for the security of the extra year.

“Rugby league is a ruthless sport and I had to do that for my family.

“I grew up supporting for Manly and as a kid you have dreams of playing first grade for clubs and to do that is something special as well.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...f9085b76c43f1698cfb?__twitter_impression=true

I know last week against the Knights he had a very quiet game and yesterday he wasn’t electric in attack but defensively, this guy is huge. I thought he had a brilliant game yesterday on that left edge, highlighted by him driving French into touch from almost 10m in field. Very happy to have him as part of our dominant forward pack.

I know last week against the Knights he had a very quiet game and yesterday he wasn’t electric in attack but defensively, this guy is huge. I thought he had a brilliant game yesterday on that left edge, highlighted by him driving French into touch from almost 10m in field. Very happy to have him as part of our dominant forward pack.

Totally agree Mitch. He does a lot of work that isn’t noticed but he is enormous in defence.

Not many packs are going to dominate us this year - not even the superstar Cowboys pack.

Not trying to compare him to Jake who is next level up BUT you know when non Manly people used to say Jake isn't the biggest, or the strongest or the fastest etc BUT we say he is just a great footy player who does everything right....well Thompson is a version of that to me.

Thompson will be excellent for us - isn't highlight real player but does his job every week , makes very few errors, hits to hurt on the edges & runs the right lines for our edge ball players. Just a professional.

You can have a team full of giant powerful flair players who play "on the edge" of brilliance & errors & fatigue all the time if you like....but if you do you'll just being like the Canberra Raiders or the Warriors.

Give me a "footy player" any day.

Great recruit

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8