The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Eels worry contract offer won’t stop Clint Gutherson joining Manly
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
April 30, 2019 7:55pm
Subscriber only
Parramatta are confident he will still stay but there are growing fears that a $100,000 gulf will ultimately split the Eels and captain Clint Gutherson.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Parramatta are reluctant to increase their latest offer of $650,000 a season over three years.

That figure falls short of the four-year $750,000 a season deal Gutherson’s management is seeking.

Further complicating matters is Gutherson’s junior club, Manly, waiting in the wings. Gutherson’s manager, Sam Ayoub, is due to meet Sea Eagles representatives in coming days.

3ca60145488b1b98a93d5c211bd54807

Whether they would be willing to meet Ayoub’s valuation of his client is not clear. Manly will still be operating under a reduced salary cap next season for previous breaches, and have superstar brothers Tom and Jake Trbojevic coming off contract at the end of 2020.

Gutherson would also be unable to play in his preferred fullback position, with Tom Trbojevic having a stranglehold on the No.1 jersey.

That would mean a likely switch to the centres, few of whom can demand such lucrative deals, or five-eighth.

1515c4aa2ddcd2f4a12207891bff434f

Would Gutherson hold the same status at Manly? Image: AAP Image/Brendon Thorne
Ayoub sat down with Parramatta head of football Mark O’Neill on Monday afternoon in a continuation of protracted negotiations which have now stretched over six months.

The Eels are adamant they will not repeat previous mistakes in recruitment and retention that have hampered their salary cap.

Gutherson’s camp may even opt to suspend further negotiations to see whether the Eels fullback can pinch a spot in the NSW State of Origin side — further increasing his value.

One rival CEO conceded $750,000 a season was “State of Origin-type money” and, while Gutherson is an undoubted talent and has earned the Eels’ captaincy at just 24, he has also suffered two knee reconstructions in his short career.

Manly have not tabled an official offer but well-placed sources indicate their interest is genuine.

8228d2c4416e27ba046a0f3abde5a628

Can Parramatta keep their rivals hands off their captain? Image: Brett Costello
Gutherson is extremely well liked at Parramatta, where he is nicknamed ‘King’.

RELATED CONTENT
5ec3d2938bcee696adf5b70a04aaecf8

Blues contender? ‘Right now you couldn’t have him’
1c45c664b36a6a2772d23bacb04a7a6e

SuperCoach: 10 things we learned Round 7
similars

The Eels believe his No.1 status at Parramatta would slip to fourth string at Manly behind Daly Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevics.

Gutherson’s management want to exhaust all avenues at Parramatta before holding talks with rival clubs. And it’s understood the Eels are open to offering Gutherson a fourth year on his deal to give him further financial security.

Manly would need to shift around their roster and salary cap to make a real play for Gutherson.

The Eels fullback has been mentioned in NSW Origin discussions, but he would be competing for the utility position with incumbent Tyrone Peachey, who, unlike Gutherson, also covers hooker and back row.

The Eels believe his No.1 status at Parramatta would slip to fourth string at Manly behind Daly Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevics.

This is just Eels admitting how far behind us they are.
You would think that being in a team with 3 better players than yourself ,and it being a team sport and all ,
that would ultimately boost your chances of winning a Grand Final.
For the record ,He probably has at least 5 maybe 6 in front of him .

Manly will still be operating under a reduced salary cap next season for previous breaches, and have superstar brothers Tom and Jake Trbojevic coming off contract at the end of 2020.

I thought our cap penalty was over this year ...? 2019.

It is mate.

$330k in each of 2018 and 2019.

These hacks who call themselves "journalists" these days really are pathetic.

Is anyone able to access the Daily Telegraph? From the title of their latest article on Gutho, it looks like the Eels are resigned to him to Manly.
Article already posted on previous page.

If you post a link behind a paywall, outline will be included in it and you can read full article :nerd:

Thanks @Dan :)

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I wonder where Clint should go?
Some would suggest Toronto!
He's a very good back
Would play well with the 'pack
And it's fun to play in the snow!

And how in the world would he get there?
I hear some of you cry in despair.
Oh that wouldn't matter.
Our owner's not Packer.
But some other Aussie Billionaire!

Toronto owner's eye has a glint,
Could it be he's targeting Clint?
He should come along,
won't need to play for a song.
In fact he would make a mint!

Last edited:
What irks me is the concern most journos and commentators have expressed about Parramatta and their potential loss of Gutho. If Parra were so concerned they would pay the $750K per year. I expect he would rather come home but this will be determined by dollars. Gotta say I suspect that Arthur is not in their plans for 2020 and onward and that is also a stumbling block IMO.

For the sake of clarity .... Could you possibly name just a couple of the people making this suggestion ...

Can you please ask them to cry out again ..... I can't hear a thing ...

As for part one there'd be:
me
darcy lussick
Aston sims
Matty russell
Brian nobel
Brian McDermott
Mr Argyle (to you, pleb!)

and Messers etc, etc, and etc!

As for part two, I can only suggest changing the battery in that 1980's hearing aid you have!

that's right baby boomers... saying 1980's officially means a long time ago!!!!

:p

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4