The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

brad

First Grader
I don’t recall Tom having dodgy hamstrings. He has had one and a recurrence of the same one.
I remember he had some ankle problems, but suggesting a move to the centres at 21 seems a bit premature. He’ll come good
Ankles , Hammys,seems to have problems. Hopefully he will .

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Didn't I say centre would minimize his hamstring injury. I've said it before with the lateral movement, stopping and starting , sliding , fullback will always be a problem for him unless he overcomes these hammy probs. I've never said he's not or won't be a great fullback but it might have him on the field more . How would I know.
C’mon...he could slip on a banana peel walking along the corso with his morning coffee. We can’t wrap him up in cotton wool.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
People forget that Tedesco also had a series of pretty serious leg and knee injuries, but is now playing better than ever.

But hopefully these are the last of Tom's injuries.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
People forget that Tedesco also had a series of pretty serious leg and knee injuries, but is now playing better than ever.

But hopefully these are the last of Tom's injuries.
Good point.

The surgeries and recoveries esp with knees are quite improved in 2019. Esp for Elite athletes.
For all we know Gutho is stronger than ever.

Good point.

The surgeries and recoveries esp with knees are quite improved in 2019. Esp for Elite athletes.
For all we know Gutho is stronger than ever.
Exactly right. I hate when people on here say "he's knees are shot"
Do any of us really know??? Same thing with hodko last year! Yes its not ideal to have surgery, i had 2 knee recos myself but i wouldn't agree with someone else diagnosing my knees as "no good"

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Exactly right. I hate when people on here say "he's knees are shot"
Do any of us really know??? Same thing with hodko last year! Yes its not ideal to have surgery, i had 2 knee recos myself but i wouldn't agree with someone else diagnosing my knees as "no good"
My Mum had her knee replaced on Monday, she is walking un assisted yesterday, althouh she is mostly using a walker. And she is 75!

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Gutho’s knees are not the reason to avoid him. He might never have another injury but that doesn’t mean he is what we need.

He is overrated. The Eels are used to losing and take out the spoon but Gutho was all effort so the Slime fans took a liking to him. They like his enthusiasm, daisy cutter running style and (previously) asymmetrical haircut. When you look at his footy, he is simply a taller Michael Gordon. Solid, honest, reliable and all effort.

He is a good support player and that is not an attribute he will be able to utilise in the centres. He is not a stepper who gets on the outside of his man, he is not blinding fast and he is not overly powerful. He is a safe fullback with support instincts and effort areas; the end.

We don’t need a 700k fullback from the slime, playing centre for us.

I’m amazed people still like him on this forum. He is Dalai’s pet (a la Bennett/Boyd) and he carries on like a pork chop, high fiving the likes of Kenny Edwards and Corey Norman over the years. He does that stupid chest thump to his teammates and embodies all the SLime values.

Gutho’s knees are not the reason to avoid him. He might never have another injury but that doesn’t mean he is what we need.

He is overrated. The Eels are used to losing and take out the spoon but Gutho was all effort so the Slime fans took a liking to him. They like his enthusiasm, daisy cutter running style and (previously) asymmetrical haircut. When you look at his footy, he is simply a taller Michael Gordon. Solid, honest, reliable and all effort.

He is a good support player and that is not an attribute he will be able to utilise in the centres. He is not a stepper who gets on the outside of his man, he is not blinding fast and he is not overly powerful. He is a safe fullback with support instincts and effort areas; the end.

I’m amazed people still like him on this forum. He is Dalai’s pet (a la Bennett/Boyd) and he carries on like a pork chop, high fiving the likes of Kenny Edwards and Corey Norman over the years. He does that stupid chest thump to his teammates and embodies all the SLime values.

But.....other than that....you are keen to sign him? ;)

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Gutho is talented not doubt but I would be very surprised if he fits into Dessie's plans. As the saying goes that train already left the station.

Smokin Joe

Bencher

Yep,he is a pretty good fullback but not elite.He has knocked back a 3 yr 633K a year offer from Eels.He is not a powerful runner which is needed at centre or wing nowadays.To offer him that sort of money to play centre is crazy(poor return on investment),the same for me as Will Hoppa(good player but not worth the coin he is looking for).For me go after Roberts or Aitken for less money,even though Roberts is not far off Walker as being a goose.I am even tempted to sign Walker again for lower money if Des thinks he can reach him...(if we can't get Roberts/Aitken)

Last edited:

sheridanstand78

First Grader
Gutho is gone for good, while ever the Daiai rules the slime he will be there. Our club made that call three years ago and as painful as it was at the time to see him in their colours, that ship has sailed and we has so many exciting young players coming through like our SG Ball side that is our future!!!

yokahontas

Bencher
Yep,he is a pretty good fullback but not elite.He has knocked back a 3 yr 633K a year offer from Eels.He is not a powerful runner which is needed at centre or wing nowadays.To offer him that sort of money to play centre is crazy(poor return on investment),the same for me as Will Hoppa(good player but not worth the coin he is looking for).For me go after Roberts or Aitken for less money,even though Roberts is not far off Walker as being a goose.I am even tempted to sign Walker again for lower money if Des thinks he can reach him...(if we can't get Roberts/Aitken)

Roberts is way above Walker in the goose stakes, the most emphatic of big fat NOs from me on him ever being seen anywhere near a Manly jersey!

If his management have any sense (because Jimmy sure doesn’t) they’ll be doing whatever it takes to keep him north of the border at any rate - or maybe Melbourne or NZ - because they need to keep him out of the Sydney media spotlight. If he ends up back at basically any Sydney club, I give his career 6 months at best - if half the ****e that gets covered up for him got out, he’d have been given the boot already. He’d be on about his 17th ‘final warning’ at this stage.

Besides that, he’s a lazy ball-hog. Wants the limelight but not to do any of the hard yards.

Aitken goes alright and seems to be a half-decent human though.

Smokin Joe

Bencher
Roberts is way above Walker in the goose stakes, the most emphatic of big fat NOs from me on him ever being seen anywhere near a Manly jersey!

If his management have any sense (because Jimmy sure doesn’t) they’ll be doing whatever it takes to keep him north of the border at any rate - or maybe Melbourne or NZ - because they need to keep him out of the Sydney media spotlight. If he ends up back at basically any Sydney club, I give his career 6 months at best - if half the ****e that gets covered up for him got out, he’d have been given the boot already. He’d be on about his 17th ‘final warning’ at this stage.

Besides that, he’s a lazy ball-hog. Wants the limelight but not to do any of the hard yards.

Aitken would be my first choice out of the ones available,but there is a lack of available talent at centre,pickings are slim.I wish that Albert had held up and given us an idea of what he really had.I would be ok if the club gave Garrick a go or stuck with Suli,even young Aukafolau would be worth a look(drops a couple but is talented).People bag Parker but he is a decent option,defends well and is smart and could nail down one side of the field for the next 8 years for low money....I know what you mean about Roberts,for me there are few bigger dxxkhxxds in the game and is a risk to spend the money.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
Out of that lot Xerri is the only one I would throw big money at, Aitken if his price isn't ridiculous, I doubt that Roberts would leave the Broncos and come to us without Souths having a crack at him
i'm not sure of xerri's contract status but after watching the video when he found out he was about to debut for the the sharks, a team he supported as a kid & a local i'd say we would have to pay quite a bit over whatever the sharks could offer.
the sharks are to him what manly is to tom & jake

Peter C

Bencher
i'm not sure of xerri's contract status but after watching the video when he found out he was about to debut for the the sharks, a team he supported as a kid & a local i'd say we would have to pay quite a bit over whatever the sharks could offer.
the sharks are to him what manly is to tom & jake
What you say is true, however money talks, and I doubt Sharks have much wiggle room in their cap, even with Gallen finishing up this season

Loobs

Living in the demountable.

Roberts needs to be at the most remote team he can be placed at. Any team near a dock or wharf that receives shipments from South America is a hazard to his “health”.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Gutherson is a much better footballer than your ridulous assessment. He is an X factor player that reads the game amazingly well.
He is very coachable and smart enough to follow a game plan, unlike many of the gifted athletes that flood the NRL.
If you don’t think he is a fit for Manly, fair enough. But your criticism is more of a personal shot at him.
The haircut and the high fives are a personal assessment because I’m a Manly supporter and I hated seeing Arthur pillage players from our wreckage and I hated the way his players started to embody his arrogant persona. So yeah, it’s partly personal.

However, my assessment of his footballing prowess is not ridiculous. How many Origin and Internationals has he played? He is a solid first grader with support instincts (he reads the game well)...are you saying he is powerful and blindingly fast? Because that’s all that is left for you to label as ridiculous...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16