• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So you mean multiverse then.
Why don't you read back to where I suggested this is what you meant, you said "no that is world line theory".

I would appreciate a bit of a description of what universe model you are talking about rather than what name it has today.

As for 'yeah it is unscientific but you get that' doesn't that just reduce one to believing it exists without evidence? How is this different to blind religious faith?

So when i finally place fact and debate on the topic in there you resort to schoolyard tactics.

Fine by me. Chalk up another win for the non-believers

Fine by me. Chalk up another win for the non-believers

You're the magistrate now too are you?

You haven't goaded me into doing that site you want to do but I'll get back to you in a few months when I have a bit of time. M'kay?

So you mean multiverse then.
Why don't you read back to where I suggested this is what you meant, you said \"no that is world line theory\".

I would appreciate a bit of a description of what universe model you are talking about rather than what name it has today.

As for 'yeah it is unscientific but you get that' doesn't that just reduce one to believing it exists without evidence? How is this different to blind religious faith?

World line theory suggests that at every decision every person faces the universe splits into every possible result of that decision

multiverse at a simple level suggests that there is something like 10 to the power of 500 or something versions of the universe hence at one stage they cant be observed

To the original point of this thread

Dawkins in actuallity challenges religion more because it was an answer provided to before science was mature or really in existence at all. It filled a gap or filled a desire, but just because it did so does no mean it is the truth. It is now no longer tested and we dont dare question or challenge religion. But hey you may have a couple of billion people who believe in varying religion but what about the other 2 - 4 billion who don't believe, how are they any less wrong?

Dawkins doesnt even say that there is no possibility of a "creator" what he is more interested in is finding the truth and not assuming it. This is his and my problem with religion. There is no test there is no questioning or advancement of itself, it claims to know the truth but produce the proof there of and wont challenge its ideas.

Watch the videos I posted on the previous page, they actually are really handy little insights into what Dawkins is on about.

Personally i plan on buying his book in the next few weeks and reading it, because I am unaffraid of seeking other truths.

I issue a challenge to you and to everyone else who wants to debate the topic.

Read his book before wading in

[
Dawkins in actuallity challenges religion more because it was an answer provided to before science was mature or really in existence at all. It filled a gap or filled a desire, but just because it did so does no mean it is the truth. It is now no longer tested and we dont dare question or challenge religion.

8|

All those who think this is a wankfest- why do you continue to read the thread? I find it quite fascinating. I lean towards Dan but it's interesting to get other points of view. Carry on lads.

The problem is that in this little dance neither Dan or I want to take the lead as it then gives the other the opportunity to shoot from shadows.

Dan, have you read the New Testament in entirety as you promised in the previous thread two years ago?

I actually had read it prior to that just not the version you sent me. I might go get me a copy soon.

First however I have to get through the following books
- Stark
- The God Delusion
- Harry Potter

Then I will read the King James version

Whats this about 'Versions' of the Bible?

Keeping with the times?

And Jesus then hoped into his Porsche...

The King James was a translation made in the 1600s and was translated into the street vernacular of the time.

We speak a bit differently these days.

BTW, when you read the bible and you have the words written inside: [ ] does that mean words added for understanding.

Like:

In [the] begining...

I have 'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures'.

Is that a normal bible.

I ask this question because it was given to me by a Jehovah's Witness work mate a few years back. Is it any different?

I have 'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures'.

Is that a normal bible.

I ask this question because it was given to me by a Jehovah's Witness work mate a few years back. Is it any different?
Yep - the New World Translation is the version 'especially' done by the JWs and is the only one they are permitted to use. There are major differences.

There are large groups of scholars who have translated the Bible from the Original Greek and Hebrew. You can get it on the net at Bible Gateway which allows you to check out the different translations if interested.

http://www.biblegateway.com

But is it any different to the bibles used in other religions.

I have found that it uses Formal Equivalence Translating. So they match word for word to the English language so to not corrupt the text like with paraphrasing.

However, I don't see the need for a [the] to be added in the first sentance. Because in essence that is almost changing the context of the paragraph.

In [the] Beginning...

In beginning...

So perhaps they are not talking about 'THE BEGINNING' (Lighting bolt and claps of thunder for effect) But rather they are talking about the beginning of their story.

But is it any different to the bibles used in other religions.

I have found that it uses Formal Equivalence Translating. So they match word for word to the English language so to not corrupt the text like with paraphrasing.

However, I don't see the need for a [the] to be added in the first sentance. Because in essence that is almost changing the context of the paragraph.

In [the] Beginning...

In beginning...
JW are a sect that claim their version of the truth is very different from mainstream Christianity - which is pretty orthodox over the world and history. Look into the history of this translation and it is similar in most parts but there some very notable omissions.
They basically believe there will be a remnant of 144000 people and are driven by fear to convert adherants in the hope that they might make the final cut.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6