The 'General Off-Topic Discussion, Banter, Arguments & Hopefully Some Mediation' Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Upward trend equals future ambition does it not.

So no analysis or acknowledgement from you as to our improvement over the last 2 years and no analysis or prediction from you as to our future.

I also see you don't offer a solution. How politician of you.

Do you have a dim view or is it a dimwit.

I must be a dimwit...........at least so in your esteemed company!
I don't get your point..........our team's improvement isn't really changing the story.

The recruitment team is garbage, proven by the exponentially greater number of hits than misses.
The fact the team performed better last year doesn't change that.

I must be a dimwit...........at least so in your esteemed company!
I don't get your point..........our team's improvement isn't really changing the story.

The recruitment team is garbage, proven by the exponentially greater number of hits than misses.
The fact the team performed better last year doesn't change that.

To be fair, the club brought in quite a few new players into the team last season 2017 (Green, Sironen, Kelly, Uate, Lane, Perrett), so that's a pretty big change. Also, statistically, here are some other changes:

2016 versus 2017

+ 13th in 2016 versus 6th in 2017
+ 454 points scored in 2016 versus 524 points scored in 2017
+ 563 points scored against in 2016 versus 500 points scored against in 2017
+ We ran 35,408 Running Metres in 2016, We ran 35,990 Running Metres in 2017
+ We made 88 line breaks in 2016 versus 110 line breaks in 2017
+ Every other stat improved also

So I take that as the recruitment being successful of late.

The problem with your argument, is your basing it off assumption (what MAY happen) as upposed to proven (what HAS happened), so it's a tough debate to win. We may sign absolutely no-one, that may be the strategy (harness and bring along the juniors), and that may work 100%, we don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hungry as punch for signings myself, but we can't (if we are being fair) just automatically state we are going to be crap because of it, because based on the short term past, the decisions being made improved our team exponentially.

To be fair, the club brought in quite a few new players into the team last season 2017 (Green, Sironen, Kelly, Uate, Lane, Perrett), so that's a pretty big change. Also, statistically, here are some other changes:

2016 versus 2017

+ 13th in 2016 versus 6th in 2017
+ 454 points scored in 2016 versus 524 points scored in 2017
+ 563 points scored against in 2016 versus 500 points scored against in 2017
+ We ran 35,408 Running Metres in 2016, We ran 35,990 Running Metres in 2017
+ We made 88 line breaks in 2016 versus 110 line breaks in 2017
+ Every other stat improved also

So I take that as the recruitment being successful of late.

The problem with your argument, is your basing it off assumption (what MAY happen) as upposed to proven (what HAS happened), so it's a tough debate to win. We may sign absolutely no-one, that may be the strategy (harness and bring along the juniors), and that may work 100%, we don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hungry as punch for signings myself, but we can't (if we are being fair) just automatically state we are going to be crap because of it, because based on the short term past, the decisions being made improved our team exponentially.

This really only makes sense if there was recruitment at the start of 2017 which was the difference.
If fundamentally the same team is running around in both years, the improvement is more realistically attributed to other factors rather than recruitment.

This really only makes sense if there was recruitment at the start of 2017 which was the difference.
If fundamentally the same team is running around in both years, the improvement is more realistically attributed to other factors rather than recruitment.

Youth and experience? Lot's of young kids finding their feet remember

You have Kelly, Brown and Tafua on equal par. They are all in different leagues of each other.
I dont think so, Brown is an experienced international and is always doing his job, always shows up for the team, Kelly and Taufua are both hit and miss in defence but when both are firing in attack we have a deadly edeg down that side.

Definitely DCE , Marty & the Turbos
(you're stretching it with Api & Walks)

The problem is not with the few top shelf players we have, it's that we have lots of bottom shelfers (who other clubs would only dream of having if they were having nightmares @;))

Wright, Kelly, Brown, Winterstein, Hastings, Lussick......................all would struggle to get a game anywhere else
I dont know mate , Dylan walker was the best centre in the comp as far as i was concerned and Api was mentioned as a possible Soo selection by some . We agree to disagree but all good .

Here is the Sharks who have added a couple of stars

1 Holmes 4 out of 5
2 Feki 3 out of 5
3 Dugan 4 out of 5
4 Leutele 3 out of 5
5 Raimen 2 out of 5
6 Moylan 4 out of 5
7 Townsend 3 out of 5
8 Fifita 4 out of 5
9 Brailey 3 out of 5
10 Prior 3 out of 5
11 Lewis 4 out of 5
12 Graham 4 out of 5
13 Gallen 4 out of 5

14 Segeyaro 3 out of 5
15 Bukuya 3 out of 5
16 Seumanufagai 2 out of 5
17 Paulo 2 out of 5

Fifita, Graham and Gallen are 5 out of 5’s, and Kelly and Taufua are most certainly not a deadly edge on attack. I’m not saying they are rubbish... but let’s not get carried away. Our squad as it stands will finish anywhere from 6-10th.

As far as recruitment goes really we haven’t done too badly.

Marty, close to the most damaging forward in the game.

Walker, SOO and Australian rep.

Uate, down on his luck at the Knights , close to the best winger in 2017.

Sirronen, out of sorts at the Tigpies and really coming good at the Sea Eagles.

Green, not a superstar but a large part of us improving from 14th in 2016 to 6th in 2017, his ability to create repeat sets is second to none.

These are tempered by some honest toilers, yes not superstars but still fair players , I don’t need to mention the names you know the ones.

And every club has its young guns who might be and might not be , players like Kelly / Parker.

If everyone’s negative comments are about us ( to date) not signing any million dollar players well I’m not sure we actually need them.

I’d love a quality edge second rower, I thought Thompson would have been perfect and have no idea why we “ went cold”.

I think we should revisit this in another month as I’m still not convinced we are done yet.

How many games did Moylan play this year? Mitchell Pearce is 28 and has played nearly 230 games, despite being rubbed out most of last season for dog gate. Matt Moylan is 26 and has played 80 odd games for Penrith. API is durable and hard, never takes a backward step. Won a premiership At nine playing against Michael Ennis. Loved by his teammates and coach, who say he is an integral cog in the side and under valued by many, but not by them. And he ain’t no sook. In summary, he’s a quality player, and getting better. Is he a five? He is to the payers and coach. I wouldn’t swap him. And I sure as hell wouldn’t swap him for Matt Moylan.

I'm not saying Api's not a good player. But one of them has actually played SOO. There's a reason for that.

One of them can actually pass too.

I wouldn't swap Api for Moylan either, they play different positions.

Here is the Sharks who have added a couple of stars

1 Holmes 4 out of 5
2 Feki 3 out of 5
3 Dugan 4 out of 5
4 Leutele 3 out of 5
5 Raimen 2 out of 5
6 Moylan 4 out of 5
7 Townsend 3 out of 5
8 Fifita 4 out of 5
9 Brailey 3 out of 5
10 Prior 3 out of 5
11 Lewis 4 out of 5
12 Graham 4 out of 5
13 Gallen 4 out of 5

14 Segeyaro 3 out of 5
15 Bukuya 3 out of 5
16 Seumanufagai 2 out of 5
17 Paulo 2 out of 5
Aaron gray in for jesse ramien

Could be the best option - he played there in juniors, and let's be honest, we aren't gifted with a wealth of 1st grade quality talent in the 5/8 position. That being said, opening his spot in the backrow means one of our reserve graders in the backrow has to step up, or Lewis Brown gets a permanent starting spot in the backrow.

But if we grabbed Thompson he’d go there!

Not gonna happen mate, and we need a 5/8. I'm thinking Sirro may actually be better than the alternatives we have now. Problem is that we'd be relying on Brown / Lane to fill the number 12 jersey.

I’d only suggest moving Curtis if we had a reasonable replacement, otherwise better to give Jacko a go, also solves the goal kicking issue.

I’d suggest this is TBaz’s Plan C

Must be Christmas!

so much cheer and joy on the board this morning.

be merry and eat well fellow Eagles....
I can see Manly winning the comp in 2018.

Here's a quick Honesty poll -

Which current poster used to post on the club site as American Trilogy Eagle?

In 2008 this poster repeatedly slammed Manly's poor attack all year, only for us to win the grand final by 40-nil.

Come on, own up, we forgive you. Everyone makes a mistake, you'll feel better for coming clean!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8