• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A very balanced article.
Here's a few sentences that I think are spot on and underestimated by many, sometimes we're a bit too close to the forest to see the trees.

What's remarkable about Cherry-Evans' NRL career is how consistent the whole thing is when you zoom out and look at it as one big picture.

Occasionally he'll break out and do something glorious or heinous, but not very often. He's as consistent a player as you'll find and in a halfback's world...

Looking for a halfback is a volatile business. A good one can be hard to find, let alone one you can plug into your 17 for a decade and not worry about. It is here that Cherry-Evans true value comes through – it's not any one skill, because he is a very well-rounded footballer, it's his ability to flatten himself out, to avoid the peaks and valleys that normally dot a halfbacks career. Cherry-Evans can outwit or outplay, but the ability to outlast has become his true superpower.
What an absolutely exceptional article.

It disappoints me how many of our own fans pile in on DCE. The man is a frikkin legend. He's not a 10/10.... but he IS an 8/10 most weeks. Never makes headlines for the wrong reasons, sets a great example and culture. He's a bloody ripper.

IMO to be fair his performances at origin are far more controlled and consistent then at club level. He gets paid a lot of money and as a result our expectations are high. His preparation, ability and effort are always first class but its what goes on in his head on the field at club level at times that is the Achilles heal. We need his origin performances week in and week out and we pay a fair price for that expectation. I accept the forwards need to provide him a platform. I hope he finishes this season for Manly with a bang!

I feel a lot of us have been far to hard on DCE , his time at Manly has been great for mine , yes he may not be on fire every week but who is , and many of our loses are not his fault , forwards , backs running up opening holes , dropping balls everything , its a team sport and lets be honest , our forwards have struggled for a couple years now along with the injuries etc i think we have done pretty bloody well .
Not the results we would like but some teams would be happy to be in our position , and what has been said before , its not that easy to throw DCE out and replace him ( with who )
He for mine dose not deserve the bagging he gets , the whole team needs to produce each week as well which frankly we are not.
However Eagles all the way and i think our future is looking bright , even if we miss the top eight .

IMO to be fair his performances at origin are far more controlled and consistent then at club level. He gets paid a lot of money and as a result our expectations are high. His preparation, ability and effort are always first class but its what goes on in his head on the field at club level at times that is the Achilles heal. We need his origin performances week in and week out and we pay a fair price for that expectation. I accept the forwards need to provide him a platform. I hope he finishes this season for Manly with a bang!

Turbo gets paid a F-ton as well and we get a lot less in return but jeez you'd get shot if you bring that up

DCE gets knocked down

But he always gets up again

You're never going to keep him down

DCE gets knocked down

DCE gets knocked down

The Greatest wins are wins against adversity
The Greatest winner is DCE !!!
1657914648232.png

What an absolutely exceptional article.

It disappoints me how many of our own fans pile in on DCE. The man is a frikkin legend. He's not a 10/10.... but he IS an 8/10 most weeks. Never makes headlines for the wrong reasons, sets a great example and culture. He's a bloody ripper.
8 out of 10 most weeks with Manly over the years IF only . Can never be any dispute with his role model reputation and setting some good examples but 8 out of 10 on a regular basis would put him in the immortal category of prior halfs like Thurston and Joey Johns , that just ain 't the case regretfully , . Really good player when again he is on his game but the consistency criteria still has been an ongoing issue . Good luck to him being the highest player in the game and great if it can be justified in his remaining time with Manly

8 out of 10 most weeks with Manly over the years IF only . Can never be any dispute with his role model reputation and setting some good examples but 8 out of 10 on a regular basis would put him in the immortal category of prior halfs like Thurston and Joey Johns , that just ain 't the case regretfully , . Really good player when again he is on his game but the consistency criteria still has been an ongoing issue . Good luck to him being the highest player in the game and great if it can be justified in his remaining time with Manly

Very different types of players. Thurston and Johns had great skills and some of those were superior to DCE. But DCE has skills superior to either Johns or Thurston. Better defender and kicker than them both. Quicker than Johns, but perhaps not explosive as Thurston or as good a play maker/organiser as Johns. But none of them were great in every aspect of the game. Easy as is so often the case to only think of the top plays of former players and overlook their deficiencies. I recall Johns and Thurston having ordinary games some against Manly. Not often but it happened. DCE is up there. I wont say he's the best half of all time, but he's top shelf.

Very different types of players. Thurston and Johns had great skills and some of those were superior to DCE. But DCE has skills superior to either Johns or Thurston. Better defender and kicker than them both. Quicker than Johns, but perhaps not explosive as Thurston or as good a play maker/organiser as Johns. But none of them were great in every aspect of the game. Easy as is so often the case to only think of the top plays of former players and overlook their deficiencies. I recall Johns and Thurston having ordinary games some against Manly. Not often but it happened. DCE is up there. I wont say he's the best half of all time, but he's top shelf.
Not trying to be a pain, but Andrew johns defence was waaaaay better than dice. But the major difference that both JT and johns has was they took the ball deep into the line to promote opportunities for others which is one on the 3 f’s of being a halfback

****ing committ defenders and not run sideways
****ing manage possession and field position
****ing lead by example at crucial moments

DCE is a fine footy player but is not a touch on those 2 as he avoids the role of a number 7 where JT and johns owned the big plays because the committed defenders, and we’re prepared to take a whack , where dice tries to finesse his way through the game without taking responsibility or ownership consistently for the role of a NRL number 7

40 good minutes in origin and people are losing there minds.

Not trying to be a pain, but Andrew johns defence was waaaaay better than dice. But the major difference that both JT and johns has was they took the ball deep into the line to promote opportunities for others which is one on the 3 f’s of being a halfback

****ing committ defenders and not run sideways
****ing manage possession and field position
****ing lead by example at crucial moments

DCE is a fine footy player but is not a touch on those 2 as he avoids the role of a number 7 where JT and johns owned the big plays because the committed defenders, and we’re prepared to take a whack , where dice tries to finesse his way through the game without taking responsibility or ownership consistently for the role of a NRL number 7

40 good minutes in origin and people are losing there minds.

Sorry Jdd but statistically DCE is a better defender. Johns average tackles per game was 14.61 with an 88 per cent efficiency rating. DCE consistently tackles over 20 per game and has a 90% efficiency rating. He wasnt as good a ball player as Johns, which I acknowledged. But he was faster, had a far better general kicking game and has always led from the front. Little wonder that he is almost always the highest Fantasy coach numbers man in the Manly team, because he has so many facets in his game. I'm not saying he's better than Johns, but to suggest Johns is vastly better does not show statistically. Johns was also blessed with being in a strong team for most of his career given Newcastle made the finals every year from 1995-2004, which assisted his performances. Manly on the other hand have struggled for the past seven years, leaving DCE a much harder job to shine.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6