• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With Thurston out, Cherry should be the first in line for a Kangaroos recall for the World Cup, though personally I think even if Thurston was still healthy he would have been selected in the squad anyway.

Personally I always thought he would work better with Cronk than he would with Thurston. Cherry and JT are way too much alike as players with the ball in hand to compliment each other. Sure they had some success together at the last WC, but lets be honest, most of those sides they played in the halves against (e.g. USA) wouldn't beat a NSW Cup side let alone the Kangaroos. When they were together against (somewhat) decent opposition in Origin, it didn't work half as well.

DCE always cops it in the media for being so highly paid but he is worth it. This quote below from Jackson Hastings is not the only such comment I've heard from players and other sources around the club. Cherry is earning his high salary.

“The best thing about Daly is he doesn’t just say ‘let’s do this and let’s do that’. He is the fittest bloke at the club by a mile. It’s outstanding what he does,’’ Hastings said.

“Daly gets the best out of himself every day at training. For a little bloke, to see the way he goes about defence….he is prepared to put his frame on the line all the time.

“I draw a lot of inspiration from that. I am a bit bigger than Daly but to see him working so hard on doing little things after training is not only inspiring for myself, but for every single other player here."

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2018/01/12/hastings-out-to-make-up-for-lost-time/

DCE always cops it in the media for being so highly paid but he is worth it. This quote below from Jackson Hastings is not the only such comment I've heard from players and other sources around the club. Cherry is earning his high salary.

“The best thing about Daly is he doesn’t just say ‘let’s do this and let’s do that’. He is the fittest bloke at the club by a mile. It’s outstanding what he does,’’ Hastings said.

“Daly gets the best out of himself every day at training. For a little bloke, to see the way he goes about defence….he is prepared to put his frame on the line all the time.

“I draw a lot of inspiration from that. I am a bit bigger than Daly but to see him working so hard on doing little things after training is not only inspiring for myself, but for every single other player here."

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2018/01/12/hastings-out-to-make-up-for-lost-time/
Little Manly half back tackling hard.....I wonder where he learned that....he is also not a w@nker which puts him further ahead

DCE is in my mind close to being the best half in the comp.

I think he passed Cronk last year...just check his stats. SC are all excited about Cronk, and he is still a smart player, but I think he's now yesterdays champion.

The best half, Thurston, has been out injured, and like Cronk is 34 years old. Much is expected of him returning this year, and he will obviously be important to the Cows. But like Cronk, I suspect his days are numbered and too many critics are assessing both players on their glory days.

I'm yet to be truly impressed by Morgan or Munster, Pearce will struggle at Newcastle and young Cleary is still developing, but could challenge.

But barring injury, I feel DCE will show this year that he is now the best half in the comp...but of course he wont get that recognition from Queenslanders or the media

DCE is in my mind close to being the best half in the comp.

I think he passed Cronk last year...just check his stats. SC are all excited about Cronk, and he is still a smart player, but I think he's now yesterdays champion.

The best half, Thurston, has been out injured, and like Cronk is 34 years old. Much is expected of him returning this year, and he will obviously be important to the Cows. But like Cronk, I suspect his days are numbered and too many critics are assessing both players on their glory days.

I'm yet to be truly impressed by Morgan or Munster, Pearce will struggle at Newcastle and young Cleary is still developing, but could challenge.

But barring injury, I feel DCE will show this year that he is now the best half in the comp...but of course he wont get that recognition from Queenslanders or the media
Certainly agree with with your contention that D C E is close to being the best half and i would not swap him for any other existing N R L half and with what he contributes to the Sea Eagles now . However also think that Morgan and Munster are already class acts and that Clearly has already made it but also of course that D C E outplays them all when he opposes them next season .

Certainly agree with with your contention that D C E is close to being the best half and i would not swap him for any other existing N R L half and with what he contributes to the Sea Eagles now . However also think that Morgan and Munster are already class acts and that Clearly has already made it but also of course that D C E outplays them all when he opposes them next season .

Morgan only showed outstanding form in the finals. He was good but nothing outstanding during the comp. Munster had the advantage of Smith and Cronk. Without Cronk I wonder if he will be as effective. The stats for both are well below DCE. Cleary started with a bang, but went off the boil late last year. But that always happens to younger players. You're right, he is the rising half.

Morgan only showed outstanding form in the finals. He was good but nothing outstanding during the comp. Munster had the advantage of Smith and Cronk. Without Cronk I wonder if he will be as effective. The stats for both are well below DCE. Cleary started with a bang, but went off the boil late last year. But that always happens to younger players. You're right, he is the rising half.
Munster isn't a match winner but he does seem to have that partial X factor from what i have seen so far . D C E has still got the better or more complete all round game pleasingly at this stage then these guys but still some other pretty handy half's running around at present also .

I think DCE's attack is often stunted because he is required to do a lot of defence, seemingly much more than other playmakers (as the stats above would appear to support). He managed to overcome that in 2017, but I think if we looked after him a bit more in defence he would be even better. Maybe Thompson will fill that role?

DCE did far more tackling than any other the contenders including Cronk. Much easier to perform in attack when you arent having to cover in defence so much. Havent got the figures in front of me but I seem to recollect that Cronk and Munster averaging less than 10 tackles a game and Morgan no much better while DCE was averaging over 20 a game. To me its obvious who contributes far more for his team

@Bearfax

2017 tackling stats (from NRL.com)

Daly Cherry-Evans - 584 tackles (25 games - 23.36 per game)
Cameron Munster - 419 tackles (21 games - 19.95 per game)
Michael Morgan - 351 tackles (27 games - 13 per game)
Cooper Cronk - 333 tackles (22 games - 15.13 per game)

Note that Munster also played 5 games at fullback and one from the bench. The bench game was actually against Manly at Brookie in Rd.7.

What I get from those stats is that Cherry puts in everywhere, attack and defence. Munster is still young, trying to impress and hasn't learned to pace himself yet. And neither Morgan or Cronk like doing the hard stuff and prefer having the ball in their hands where the spotlight is.

Last edited:
Not much point comparing stats with players in different positions. Among halves I think DCE makes by far the most tackles, and the reason is that he is spotted by opposition players due to the running danger he presents.
It's really up to coach Barrett to come up with a plan to reduce that workload.

When I think about that whole circus that went on regarding DCE and Foz, it's pretty clear that the right decision was made.

Although some here don't, I feel for Foz. His lack of regard for his own welfare has seen him turn into a walking injury. And he's been through a fair bit personally as well.

Notwithstanding this, I'm glad DCE is our 7. He's a class act and earns every cent in my view.

Although some here don't, I feel for Foz. His lack of regard for his own welfare has seen him turn into a walking injury. And he's been through a fair bit personally as well.
I feel for him and hope he stays healthy at the Dogs. Having said that he is a young man with some character flaws if half the media reports are correct. I wonder how much comes back to having a dad who is boss of Walmart - not many rugby league stars are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Nevertheless his fearlessness playing for Manly is something I won't forget. Some of our stars later blot their copybook but they are still Manly stars to me.

*bump*

I'd rather see this thread bumped than the fiz one!

so....

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/d5b42457f5b63f7f73c0fc03329d3b2e

HE MIGHT have a $1m a season lifetime deal with the Sea Eagles, but after a hard day on the field, Daly Cherry-Evans likes to watch Netflix just like the rest of us.

The 29 year-old revealed he and partner, Vessa Rockliff, have the typical couple ritual of bringing on box sets together.

“We’re on Sons of Anarchy,” he said.

“We do watch it together. If I’m away on camp, Vessa has to wait.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8