The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Tell me What did he do in 4 years at OUR club? Not Penrith. Manly.Gutsy player and he was a great defender and a good bloke for sure.

Passing game was ordinary Had no kicking game. Our red zone attack was awful with DCE the only option in attack. Did you actually see the results. 15th , 13th and a meek exit in first round of finals. And that’s playing in a spine with DCE and Tom!We had zero direction around the ruck.Fantastic stuff. I’m glad you were impressed.

As soon as Fainu arrived he became the main man at 21. We scored points when he was on the field. A lot of them. Last year while decimated we got close to a prelim final basically because he provided an option with Tom out. How we doing now.?

Des decided Fainu was the future despite Api being still relatively young.Yep the bloke who you say is paid to run football clubs effectively PUNTED Api, not Fainu. Both would have been on similar money with Fainu upgraded this year so one had to go due to cap pressure but Des chose Fainu.

I criticize the outside backs because they are the slowest and worst in the league and was doing so well before we started losing consistently .They are not good enough. If you like watching them then spare me. The four large losses lately made a mockery of our outside backs.
It’s a site for opinions. You throw plenty around. That’s what it’s here for.
Let’s add some perspective to your comments shall we, however I am pretty clear on your thoughts after seeing it posted umpteen times.
The history lesson you gave was generally accurate...however, what miracles were performed for him to suddenly be able to be judged (by good ones, not just the sausage roll brigade) to be worthy of rep contention and signing of the year honours. He was actually in the mix 2 years ago as well for NSW, when he was hopeless!
I completely understand why Des let him go, I will agree on all those points, and Manly simply could not afford both with the brothers upgrades.Fainu was the future and the best, but that was not disputed by me at all.
Api was in with misfits when we failed to make the finals. He was used extensively as a pivot, therefore his super sub value.
But it provided him no security for consistent improvement. He may have been coached to come up with miracle plays etc. consistency requires time and support
Did he learn how to play 9 in the off season? Did he learn how to pass under Trent, who couldn’t achieve it at Manly for 2 seasons?
Maybe the coaching staff had a role to play in his rocks or diamonds displays at Manly?
Personally, I don’t know the exact details, but I am positive Api was “capable” of being a tremendous hooker, and is showing that now.
You are a hard marker @susan
I would hate to have you lead or help me when I needed it most.
A final comment, your words have more cut through and impetus when you deliver them with kindness and less negativity. To ramble on in multiple threads does not give your opinion more validation.
If you are trying to crystal ball gaze to win the award of being the best judge on the forum, then bravo, let the herd decide.
Let’s see how young Hoppa goes, because you have stuck your neck well out to support his inclusion for selection RIGHT NOW
I hope you are 100% correct BTW
And yes, we are slow, indeed!
Thank you for not swearing or vilifying me, honourable of you.
You may be someone I can debate in future...I just don’t like fans berating their team constantly and so personally, even when they have limited skill sets.
Have a great day

Tell me What did he do in 4 years at OUR club? Not Penrith. Manly.Gutsy player and he was a great defender and a good bloke for sure.

Passing game was ordinary Had no kicking game. Our red zone attack was awful with DCE the only option in attack. Did you actually see the results. 15th , 13th and a meek exit in first round of finals. And that’s playing in a spine with DCE and Tom!We had zero direction around the ruck.Fantastic stuff. I’m glad you were impressed.

As soon as Fainu arrived he became the main man at 21. We scored points when he was on the field. A lot of them. Last year while decimated we got close to a prelim final basically because he provided an option with Tom out. How we doing now.?

Des decided Fainu was the future despite Api being still relatively young.Yep the bloke who you say is paid to run football clubs effectively PUNTED Api, not Fainu. Both would have been on similar money with Fainu upgraded this year so one had to go due to cap pressure but Des chose Fainu.

I criticize the outside backs because they are the slowest and worst in the league and was doing so well before we started losing consistently .They are not good enough. If you like watching them then spare me. The four large losses lately made a mockery of our outside backs.
Well said 100% agree

@SeaEaglez hard markers are needed imo to challenge you and get you to the top.
Too many teams accept mediocrity.

Maybe the coaching staff had a role to play in his rocks or diamonds displays at Manly?
Do you think they were too hard on Api?

amazes me that everybody is so frightened that we might lose if we play these kids in key positions...

...have you not noticed what has been happening when we DON'T play these kids? a loss is a loss is a loss... at least if we try the kids there is some hope that they may improve the standard...
we are going to lose any way so why not give the kids a go and give them experience

sick and tired of seeing some of the same useless players trot out game after game with the same pathetic results

@SeaEaglez hard markers are needed imo to challenge you and get you to the top.
Too many teams accept mediocrity.

Do you think they were too hard on Api?
There’s a fine balance
I subscribe that our previous coaching regime were less than adequate
But I am not across the detail....
A fact is information minus emotion
An opinion is information plus experience
Ignorance is an opinion lacking information
Stupidity is an opinion that ignores fact
On any given day we are all the above

Let’s add some perspective to your comments shall we, however I am pretty clear on your thoughts after seeing it posted umpteen times.
The history lesson you gave was generally accurate...however, what miracles were performed for him to suddenly be able to be judged (by good ones, not just the sausage roll brigade) to be worthy of rep contention and signing of the year honours. He was actually in the mix 2 years ago as well for NSW, when he was hopeless!
I completely understand why Des let him go, I will agree on all those points, and Manly simply could not afford both with the brothers upgrades.Fainu was the future and the best, but that was not disputed by me at all.
Api was in with misfits when we failed to make the finals. He was used extensively as a pivot, therefore his super sub value.
But it provided him no security for consistent improvement. He may have been coached to come up with miracle plays etc. consistency requires time and support
Did he learn how to play 9 in the off season? Did he learn how to pass under Trent, who couldn’t achieve it at Manly for 2 seasons?
Personally, I don’t know the exact details, but I am positive Api was “capable” of being a tremendous hooker, and is showing that now.
A final comment, your words have more cut through and impetus when you deliver them with kindness and less negativity. To ramble on in multiple threads does not give your opinion more validation.
If you are trying to crystal ball gaze to win the award of being the best judge on the forum, then bravo, let the herd decide.
Let’s see how young Hoppa goes, because you have stuck your neck well out to support his inclusion for selection RIGHT NOW
I hope you are 100% correct BTW
And yes, we are slow, indeed!
Thank you for not swearing or vilifying me, honourable of you.
You may be someone I can debate in future...I just don’t like fans berating their team constantly and so personally, even when they have limited skill sets.
Have a great day

I'm sorry mate, but I tend to agree with Susan about Api, he drove me nuts when he played for us, he was an immense defender, actually awesome and if everyone else was humming with no injuries he went ok, but put him in an underperforming team and he is rubbish. Penrith are flying at the moment, spine is all healthy everyone is up and confident and it is no surprise Api is going well and a big part of that is he enjoying the 6 again rule, taking on tired defenders. Unfortunately when he played for us he couldn't pass to save his life, it was like he was throwing bags of cement on to the back of a truck, It was like he had to pick the ball up first and then pass it, which was slow and killed our go forward, he had no direction and constantly looking around at players asking for calls instead of directing them. Then Fainu came along and got our attack humming, then whilst Api was on he kept our middle defence tight but didn't offer much in attack except the odd dummy half run. No doubt when things are going right for Api he is a great Hooker he proved that when he won a comp. If I had the choice of a healthy Fainu and Api right now, I would hands down pick Fainu every time, he is so much better and a big reason why we are struggling is because he is out.

A fact is information minus emotion
An opinion is information plus experience
Ignorance is an opinion lacking information
Stupidity is an opinion that ignores fact
Oh dear. Look what you’ve gone and done to me.
A fact can involve plenty of emotion. Eg. Manly are rubbish this year. I am sad and angry.
An opinion needs no experience.
Eg. Our fullback should be directing the defence. I have never played the game.
Ignorance is bliss.
Eg. I had no idea at the start of the year that we’d be so rubbish. Hence I was happy.
Stupidity is what we vastly superior beings are forced to endure.
Eg. Us Manly supporters have to tolerate the existence of Parramatta supporters.

Ive done a bit of junior coaching and i wish i had a dollar for everytime a parent got the ****s when there kid didnt get something for themselves or the kid as opposed to the team

Hoppa senior is just like these over zealous parents and it seems he is influencing his son like an under 10 player

Sad but we shouldnt expect any different

It would be a tough gig with a surname like hoppa for a young bloke in the league but every few years of so there seems to be another hoppa in a ****ty wrangle or dispute

The kid has every right to do whats best for himself, but no doubt he will regret the influences around him when he matures.

Hoppa senior is not the brightest tool in the shed but you hope he is bright enough to steer his kids on a different professional path to his own

coaches have to make cLls on tean balance and it cant work if someone outside the inner sanctum can be seen to influence the team mojo. Maybe this is desmonds concern and the main reason he hasnt played him yet

Its possible

Ive done a bit of junior coaching and i wish i had a dollar for everytime a parent got the ****s when there kid didnt get something for themselves or the kid as opposed to the team

Hoppa senior is just like these over zealous parents and it seems he is influencing his son like an under 10 player

It would be a tough gig with a surname like hoppa for a young bloke in the league but every few years of so there seems to be another hoppa in a ****ty wrangle or dispute

The kid has every right to do whats best for himself, but no doubt he will regret the influences around him when he matures.

Hoppa senior is not the brightest tool in the shed but you hope he is bright enough to steer his kids on a different professional path to his own

coaches have to make cLls on tean balance and it cant work if someone outside the inner sanctum can be seen to influence the team mojo. Maybe this is desmonds concern and the main reason he hasnt played him yet

Its possible

Good points. I have had parents (who were on the clubs committee no less) take their kids to other clubs because thought their kids were better than they were.
I'm pretty sure none of them are playing now.

I have to say i agree with most of your points regarding api
But poor passing, **** kicking game, eratic options, one trick pony that defends well sounds like our halfback as well

Neither api or chez are main guys but operate well when everyone else takes lead

Apis position as a bit player is waaay more workable within a team/ salary cap environment based on return

If we constantly judge input on best case sceanrio rather than worst with players , you generally wilt when the going gets tough. And man has the wilt set in

Its possible

Good points there James and yes there are parents who carry on a treat if their kid doesn't get what they think is deserved.

Certainly also team balance is important, but I get the sense that young Hopa fits in well (maybe that's just put over that way).

However, not promoting him because of the father's interference or a conjecture about the player maybe causing friction or imbalance, is conjectural. It implies an emotional reaction, rather than a logical one.

I'm sure there is more to it than that, and I'm sure much relates to Des being very conservative by bringing young players through very slowly. It is that where I think he is possibly erring, given the youngsters thriving around the comp. I suspect being too careful, gets some young players offside, given they wouldn't have the same viewpoint about when they should start to play, while they watch kids their age and against whom they have played, getting a quick promotion to first grade in other clubs..

Imagine Hoppa senior if Des dropped him from the squad 24 hours before kick off, lol.
Hoppa Snr give Des this.
outside.gif

Good points there James and yes there are parents who carry on a treat if their kid doesn't get what they think is deserved.

Certainly also team balance is important, but I get the sense that young Hopa fits in well (maybe that's just put over that way).

However, not promoting him because of the father's interference or a conjecture about the player maybe causing friction or imbalance, is conjectural. It implies an emotional reaction, rather than a logical one.

I'm sure there is more to it than that, and I'm sure much relates to Des being very conservative by bringing young players through very slowly. It is that where I think he is possibly erring, given the youngsters thriving around the comp. I suspect being too careful, gets some young players offside, given they wouldn't have the same viewpoint about when they should start to play, while they watch kids their age and against whom they have played, getting a quick promotion to first grade in other clubs..

Im sure there is heaps more bud. Just throwing a different perspective on 50 odd pages of speculation,

Hoppa Snr would have been pushing for a big contract for AH. thinking Manly will pay up. Manly played it cool, let AH go to warriors, Hoppa Snr has nose out of joint, maybe big payday is not imminent from Manly - where AH likes to be, probably wants to be and where AH is well liked by the whole playing group.
Manly recall AH for debut, who will now be happy to take slightly less (NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER) than what he wanted, but more than the 250 quoted.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2