The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
If he stays healthy, Albert Hoppa is going to be a star. As others have said, he really is that good. There is absolutely no risk when it comes to talent and ability - he will thrive in any grade, just like Tommy T and Gutho before him. The only risk is the risk of injury. Yes, that risk seems to rise exponentially as soon as anyone pulls on a Manly jersey, but it's a risk we have to face with every player.

IMO our policy, development pathway, recruitment strategy and roster management are flawed. I don’t know who makes the decisions because when Des came back I was under the impression he would coach but would not manage the salary cap. Planning requires the coach’s input and if you don’t give the coach what is needed you won’t have success. You can’t turn water into wine. So I’m wondering if there is friction there at present because sOmething ain’t right.

That’s what I find strange.
The young players we have given a crack really early Tommy Fainu Gutho have killed it yet plenty are willing to write this bloke off

He was much higher rated as a junior than Fainu or Gutho and wasn’t that far off Tom in hype. He is an amazing football talent.
Best player amongst his peers.

And we are worrying about giving him a game over an average winger who can’t play fullback.Hoppa would be so much physically stronger than Garrick it’s not funny even at his age.if he struggles straight up who cares.We are done this year.

And ill bet my bottom dollar if he doesn’t kill it first game he’ll get kicked to death on here, most of whom have never seen him play a game.
As if anyone’s expecting him to be an instant star! This is about getting him some experience. He’ll make mistakes but I wouldn’t like to be marking up on him one on one no matter how old he is.

No one is saying he’ll save our season.What they are saying is he might make next season a helluva lot better if given a crack. No one who knows anything about him thinks he won’t succeed, including Des and co. We rate him but what we are doing now is Dessies way so it is what it is.
Wish the kid well wherever he plays and he’ll be fun to watch believe me when he gets some games under his belt.

Last edited:
You pay for future years not for tomorrow.

Hopa could be a super star. I doubt he'll be any less than a top of the line first grader who makes things happen. Injuries? That's just part of the risk signing any player.

Newcastle bought Ponga, Cowboys bought Thurston, Eels bought Gutherson, Roosters bought Tedesco, Eels bought Foran, Titans bought DCE for big money, all based on what they could offer the clubs in future, not the very next year. They were looking for game breakers and were prepared to pay overs to ensure they had a game breaker who perhaps in two or three years would set their team alight.

Sometimes it bears fruit, sometimes it doesnt. That's the risk. But players with such potential are worth paying overs for even if you havent seen them as the star they could be. Lose Hopa and if he goes on to become a star as his potential suggests, then just as those teams that let those players slip through their fingers came to rue their decisions, so will we rue losing Hopa.

I can see the blogs on this very site in two or three years. I think Hopa wants to stay. He just wants to be valued at what he believes he can offer. As for loyalty, that only ever works if both sides get what they want, otherwise its merely adulation that holds them and open to exploitation. This is a business, and these guys are doing a job they believe they should be paid for, not being charitable and doing it for love alone.

"The good sides" have 1-2M more to buy their roster. We spend far too much money on too few players and have no money left for "speed and power".

I know how to fix it...spend 4 or 500K /year overpaying another local junior so he can leave in a few years chasing even bigger money we won't have, and spend 4 or 500k less on the 20 other players we have to have.

Lack of funds = slow, journeymen, cast-offs and reserve graders.

Hire someone that does not come off our cap who can find the $ needed. It is the only solution.

Smart business people are those who surround themselves with people who can do the job.

It's of no use hiring the best chef and supplying him with crap ingredients coz you don't have enough money.
It seems that when we recruit depth players that are cheap we are not getting power based players.. elliott, garrick, harper etc.. i mean players like George Jennings, perriera, Herbert for eg would be the same in cost but add so much more value. More athletic

Guess that the best understanding of Albert "s present situation with Manly was expounded on Saturday by that poster [ A - something , not even going to try to spell his name ] , has been offered a contract in the 250 k vicinity per season [ maybe for one season . Not satisfied , Manly not prepared to offer more at this stage and no other club apparently prepared to satisfy his price just yet . Difficult circumstances in the Manly recruiting scheme of things , no footy at a higher level after his serious knee injuries , other salary cap considerations . Doesn"t look like he will be recalled for this week with more Manly back"s injuries . If he can make some sort of an impression on his debut [ whenever that may be ] and Manly then make him a competitive and increased reasonable offer , will any loyalty factor then kick in ? Still too many unknowns there for me to make any well founded predictions but for sure , hope that he stays with Manly .

Guess that the best understanding of Albert "s present situation with Manly was expounded on Saturday by that poster [ A - something , not even going to try to spell his name ] , has been offered a contract in the 250 k vicinity per season [ maybe for one season . Not satisfied , Manly not prepared to offer more at this stage and no other club apparently prepared to satisfy his price just yet . Difficult circumstances in the Manly recruiting scheme of things , no footy at a higher level after his serious knee injuries , other salary cap considerations . Doesn"t look like he will be recalled for this week with more Manly back"s injuries . If he can make some sort of an impression on his debut [ whenever that may be ] and Manly then make him a competitive and increased reasonable offer , will any loyalty factor then kick in ? Still too many unknowns there for me to make any well founded predictions but for sure , hope that he stays with Manly .
Who's to say this poster is even on the money.. someone has just blown in with some supposed inside knowledge.. could be someone from the kennel having a laugh, could be someone trying to sway the masses in des favour as reasoning for letting him go..could be someone trying to spark outrage and force des hand to bring him back.. could be the truth? Could be anyone with any agenda. All I'm saying is we shouldn't take the comments as gospel.. critical thought

"The good sides" have 1-2M more to buy their roster. We spend far too much money on too few players and have no money left for "speed and power"

Ha can you explain your thinking on this?

I assume you are referring to Jake, Tom and DCE and the general belief they are on approx 3mil next year (who knows but thats a chat we've had before).

So are you implying we should be paying that 3 possibly 1 million combined? Is that your argument?

Or do you believe the Roosters pay Tedesco, Keary and Cordner 1-2mil less than what we pay our three?

Who's to say this poster is even on the money.. someone has just blown in with some supposed inside knowledge.. could be someone from the kennel having a laugh, could be someone trying to sway the masses in des favour as reasoning for letting him go..could be someone trying to spark outrage and force des hand to bring him back.. could be the truth? Could be anyone with any agenda. All I'm saying is we shouldn't take the comments as gospel.. critical thought
might be right on many counts there too . Still bemused that he was 18 th man against the Warriors and obviously deemed fit to play. and then logically would be considered not too far from a call up and with Tom still out for a while . Then he is temporarily off the Warriors . Hard one to get a fix on without some in house knowledge .

True SJ.

After using my surveillance team to track the bloke I can say he has the potential to know what he's talking about. Certainly thinks he knows (and he may well) ... that is, not making it up for lols. The "client" he speaks of is legit and might not be thanking AndWeDontCare for the leak, but I couldn't get as far as to uncover the depth of their relationship....

I'd say we know more in the coming weeks.

Love watching the Hammer - glides across the turf like a gazelle. I think he is better suited to wing & will probably be scoring tries for the Maroons in the not too distant future. Drinkwater is a good fullback & ball player. When Holmes returns from injury, the Cowboys will have plenty of options at the back.
I’d be leaving Drinkwater at F/B. The kick he put on for the Hammer didn’t get as much recognition in commentary as I thought it should, also his second kick/try was pinpoint.

If he's going to go elsewhere for more money - which, let's face it, is not just the Hopoate way but the way of most young players in demand - then there's not much we can do to stop him. But if he's looking elsewhere because we're not giving him an opportunity, that is something the club and Des can address. Maybe lending him to the Warriors is a way of doing that, although I can't pretend to understand why it wouldn't be better to have him running out in a Manly jersey.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8