The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have no idea if the poster is on the money or not.The main point he made was that his effort/attitude at training was average,if that is so no coach is going to put a kid into top grade who is not giving 100% at training(that sends a really poor message to the side that you don't have to give it all you have and you can be selected,you earn the right to play NRL).
The funny part is that people have bagged the crap out of Des as it is his fault without knowing the situation(yeah maybe he would be better than some of who we have now,but unless you are a coach hanging onto his job by a thread then maybe you do what Des has done?)
Maybe players are not rushing to Des as there is no cap space,but players are sure keen to stay and not just the average ones who are maybe not elite players.
I am not happy with the current backline and would like some changes,but it is obvious there are reasons that Des is not playing him and he is responsible for the whole squad,not just keeping a Hopoate happy.If the kid wants more money and Des is not sure if the kid is going to stay then why should he play him?Let him have a go at the warriors and as the poster alluded to(and I have no knowledge if he is on the money)we supposedly have the right to match the offer he may receive elsewhere.
I can tell you with Absolute Utter certainty
that there was no issue about his ability, his fitness or training standards as of a week ago... none. It’s simply Dess approach to not play kids early As simple as that.Some agree, some don’t.Thats Des. I personally don’t agree under the new way the game is played but it’s always been a grey area.Diffetent coaches : different ideas.

And it’s no third hand rubbish or long winded weird email.I coukd notvgive a toss if you doubt it. It’s fact.

If this is about money as this bloke claims the. so be it. Happens all the time with hyped kids. Hyped kids play a dozen games like Creighton and he’s worth 500k. It’s a punt that happens at all clubs all season..Making judgement bets on upside, by the club or the player. Souths made a judgement t call on a 16 year old to the tune of 3mill.

But if you want to judge whst he’s worth to US and not another club then you need to take into account what we have in the squad otherwise... and that iIS a certainty ... slow in effective plodders who have scored nine tries all year.
A club with great backs would either have a no interest or make a low offer. Teams short on outside backs will pay up on the basis of a judgement call. Happens every day of every week so slaughtering Hoppa is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Susan,

I agree with what you have written here, the information regarding ability, training and the like, you are closer to the mark than I, however all I made mention of, and repeat is that is his representative, team, see his worth to be more than what's on the table.

If you read my original post, the content was quite clear on who is driving the direction to seek what they believe is best for their client.

That's also the reason why another party is interested, like our Club, they see his talent.

I made it clear that it was a chance for him to prove his match fitness, but commentary regarding his commitment could just as well be a flippant comment by those OUTSIDE the coaching staff who are privy to and take part in the negotiations.

Conversely as you have also mentioned their is and has always been a reticence by our coach to play younger players, and that is the counter argument thrown "across the table" by his representatives that if you don't move, you MAY lose a great junior.

Sorry if I've caused so much angst amongst the supporter base and fellow forum members.

My apologies Kiwi Eagle.

I'm doing my best to keep up with the posts whilst trying to separate my 5 and 4 year old from decapitating one another with moves they've just seen from an old WWF wrestling match between Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat.

Okay that was from deep, deep left field.

Carry on.

It’s simply Dess approach to not play kids early As simple as that.Some agree, some don’t.Thats Des. I personally don’t agree under the new way the game is played but it’s always been a grey area.Diffetent coaches : different ideas.
Interestingly the reason Gould doesn't want to coach again is because he says he can't understand the kids of today, can't get in their heads.

My apologies Kiwi Eagle.

I'm doing my best to keep up with the posts whilst trying to separate my 5 and 4 year old from decapitating one another with moves they've just seen from an old WWF wrestling match between Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat.

Okay that was from deep, deep left field.

Carry on.
Any light on who the prop and half are please buddy?

Concerned like everyone with Des selections and not backing kids. I don’t know what’s going on, in his first term he picked kids Stewart boys, Matai, Foran, Dce, Jason king, choc, Matt ballin and others who did not make it Ashley Alberts, Chad Randall this won us titles. For some reason who become conservative, making the 8 this year with this same squad achieves nothing as we not in same league as storm and roosters for that to happen we needed to blood Hopoate and schuster. It’s just not that either blind Freddy can see Cust is a developing into good 6 yet Lachlan croker and Dylan walker seem better option or out wide it’s been pathetic rush in Jorge to start getting manhandled our every kick return set. Elliot a complete liability let’s try after try in after grubber Garrick ragdolled all the time. Our centres we are never going to be anything but a just top 8 side with Suli and Hank. How long does schuster wait or Ben turbo and Sione fainu

I can tell you with Absolute Utter certainty
that there was no issue about his ability, his fitness or training standards as of a week ago... none. It’s simply Dess approach to not play kids early As simple as that.Some agree, some don’t.Thats Des. I personally don’t agree under the new way the game is played but it’s always been a grey area.Diffetent coaches : different ideas.

And it’s no third hand rubbish or long winded weird email.I coukd notvgive a toss if you doubt it. It’s fact.

If this is about money as this bloke claims the. so be it. Happens all the time with hyped kids. Hyped kids play a dozen games like Creighton and he’s worth 500k. It’s a punt that happens at all clubs all season..Making judgement bets on upside, by the club or the player. Souths made a judgement t call on a 16 year old to the tune of 3mill.

But if you want to judge whst he’s worth to US and not another club then you need to take into account what we have in the squad otherwise... and that iIS a certainty ... slow in effective plodders who have scored nine tries all year.
A club with great backs would either have a no interest or make a low offer. Teams short on outside backs will pay up on the basis of a judgement call. Happens every day of every week so slaughtering Hoppa is ridiculous.

Seriously, our backs have scored 9 trys all year!!
One winger in the top 8 sides have scored that many.

If we have 250k to throw at Hoppa, and he knocks it back, surely we can throw some $$ at Alex Johnston, with Elliot, Thommo, etc moving on.

We could even guarantee him 15 or so games per year at fullback, given ol' spaghetti hammies inability to see out a full season.

Susan,

I agree with what you have written here, the information regarding ability, training and the like, you are closer to the mark than I, however all I made mention of, and repeat is that is his representative, team, see his worth to be more than what's on the table.

If you read my original post, the content was quite clear on who is driving the direction to seek what they believe is best for their client.

That's also the reason why another party is interested, like our Club, they see his talent.

I made it clear that it was a chance for him to prove his match fitness, but commentary regarding his commitment could just as well be a flippant comment by those OUTSIDE the coaching staff who are privy to and take part in the negotiations.

Conversely as you have also mentioned their is and has always been a reticence by our coach to play younger players, and that is the counter argument thrown "across the table" by his representatives that if you don't move, you MAY lose a great junior.

Sorry if I've caused so much angst amongst the supporter base and fellow forum members.
No angst from me, buddy. Am always grateful when people pass on the tidbits of inside knowledge they have, like @Snake use to before he decided the Forum wasn't for him.

Susan,

Was not having a go at you mate. I have heard nothing about the money side of things which you are obviously abreast of. My point was that the people that matter think Albert is talented , fit and training well but it’s simply not Dessies way to bring them in early, just like Shuster and Metcalfe.

All this stuff that Des doesn’t rate him is total rubbish as I’m sure you are aware.The club rates both of them highly but obviously a hyped player like him will get offers from clubs making a judgement call on his ability just as a young player who is confident wants to back himself. It’s business as usual in the NRL.

My main point is that a club with an ordinary backline needs to think very clearly about whst a player is worth to their particuksr situation and I think a young guy like him is vital to a squad lacking any penetration.at all - and thst means sometimes taking a risk on potential.Coming up with some generic figure an untried player is worth is silly - depends on so many things , the two biggest being your judgement of his future and your current squads limitations, which in this case are many.

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8