The big Debate - Centres ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I know this is a regular conversation piece, but have good reason for the newest edition...
Who should be centres moving forward (now) - not potential and down the track but (now)...
1) Koula is a Must - young, ultra fast, has Massive ability and will only improve.
2) Brad Parker - I thought he was exceptional in game 1 and defensively made some of the biggest plays of the night.
In fact I would go as far as saying Parker is arguably the best defensive centre in the game.
He is not flashy, but hard and tough and runs those great attacking lines without fear of contact and these unders lines he runs are the ultimate assist for that 2nd man play out the back with Tom and co to take advantage with that sweep play.
In fact I know it's only 1 game but I felt Parker really staked his claim and was 1 of our best in the Win vs Dogs.
3) Weekes/Myers - Weekes can play anywhere and I feel could adapt and succeed at centre, but he is more a utility style player who I would "at this time" have him off the bench.
Myers has big ability but afte watching him closely including the trials and the Blacktown game on Saturday, he is still a season away imo.

I love Parker. He's tough and is brilliant defensively.

I'll get caned for this, but he'd make a good lock. Yeah he's not the biggest bloke, but he deserves to be in our starting side.

Weekes & Koula would be my picks.

I would be interested to see how weekes goes at centre as I'm not really sure we all know what his true best position actually is??

I agree Myers looks like a good prospect for the future but needs to work on his defence and playing against the big boys for now...

Interesting should either koula or Parker get injured, if Garrick, weekes or Harper get first crack...

keep hearing Garrick wants to play centre but I believe we don't have enough depth on the wings currently to allow for this... we would be vulnerable on both sides with vaega and tuipolotu imo

Tippy Toes came to Manly essentially as a centre as well but would down on the pecking order naturally in the current situation . Only thing with Kaeo is that i doubt if he has ever played much as a centre , well since being recruited at Manly . No doubt could still manage to acquit himself there and every chance of doing well but still would be quite an adjustment in i st grade in the short term . Fletcher Myers is going to seriously be a contender in the not too distant future , just has to brush up in a couple of areas but so much natural ability and good technique . Harper certainly helpful in the depth department , whether that will be sufficient for him may be another matter . just hope that the club can tie down Koula on a long term basis as the foundation centre , Parker certainly doing well to nail down another spot now and that is all that currently matters i guess .

Pre season I was on the Weekes in the centres train but after watching Parker on the weekend I think he provides the stability and defence we need there (for now). Never been a huge fan of Parker but it's a safer and better option for the team right now than playing a smaller body in Kaeo there who has also never played the position.

The harder thing for mine is finding a way to keep Kaeo happy and in the side but also finding a spot for GCKT who I think we desperately need. Maybe it is Lawton at 9 for the opening 20-30 minutes and then shifting to the backrow to allow Gordie to take the reigns. We have the Burbo bench spot there to allow this to happen too.

As much as Croker tries we are handicapped with him at 9 and we need someone more dynamic in there to take our already very talented squad to the next level. Anyone who watched Penrith on the weekend would've noticed the difference between Kenny and Luke and I think we are in a similar position, turns out it is pretty difficult to replace someone of Api's calibre

Croker 's defence is just so consistent and solid , still will be i st pick for some time yet . Like Lawton but be surprised if he will come into contention in the short term , Gordie will get some opportunities by season 's end and after round 11 . Bench spot for Kaeo in the short term , even ahead of Cooper Johns one would think , How to engage him on a longer term basis in i st grade , certainly hope some options are there

If we are looking for a center from outside to partner Koula and become the best pairing in the game ,we should try and sign Bradman Best from the Knights .

Can't deny I have high regard for Weekes and I think he's wasted at 14. I agree Parker had an excellent game against the Dogs and deserves the accolades. However the game is about scoring tries and in my mind having someone like Weekes partnering Koula, two of the cleverest and fastest centres in the game, is dream quality to me. I may be wrong and Weekes may not live up to my impressions of him. But as has been mentioned by a few, I would love to see him playing a succession of games at centre just to see if the hype is deserved

I love Parker. He's tough and is brilliant defensively.

I'll get caned for this, but he'd make a good lock. Yeah he's not the biggest bloke, but he deserves to be in our starting side.

Weekes & Koula would be my picks.
Maybe Parker is also sending out a cheerful ‘FU’ to a certain ex-Manly player, who last year stated that he didn’t think either Brad or Morgan were first grade centres.

It looks like Morgan is transitioning to a ‘depth’ role within the club as Koula continues to develop, but Brad’s not going anywhere.

I think it’s clear that whilst we don’t have injuries , Weekes will be 14 covering off a few positions.

And he’s a star in waiting , so would be first choice to fill a few of those spots if needed.

But I’d just love to get Gordie on the bench.

One of the best triggers Des ever pulled was Ballin @ 9 , and Heath LeStrange at 14, man oh man that was the old 1,2,3 punch situation and I have a feeling Gordie against those tired forwards would be almost like having Harry Grant in the side.

Oh well we can dream I guess.

Long term. Where does Weekes fit in? he may be offered big money to play fullback or 5/8 somewhere else. Can we afford to match it? if we do.. where does he play. At full strength. Fullback and 5/8 are covered. We are not going to pay big money for a winger. Centre would be the only option. Can he play there? Got a feeling he will be squeezed out unfortunately. Gutherson style.

Croker 's defence is just so consistent and solid , still will be i st pick for some time yet . Like Lawton but be surprised if he will come into contention in the short term , Gordie will get some opportunities by season 's end and after round 11 . Bench spot for Kaeo in the short term , even ahead of Cooper Johns one would think , How to engage him on a longer term basis in i st grade , certainly hope some options are there
I do agree re Croker's defence Al, I'm not sure at this stage that Gordon is up to the intensity, better to ease him in

Can't deny I have high regard for Weekes and I think he's wasted at 14. I agree Parker had an excellent game against the Dogs and deserves the accolades. However the game is about scoring tries and in my mind having someone like Weekes partnering Koula, two of the cleverest and fastest centres in the game, is dream quality to me. I may be wrong and Weekes may not live up to my impressions of him. But as has been mentioned by a few, I would love to see him playing a succession of games at centre just to see if the hype is deserved
You've got to stop them too and that's where Parker has it over the rest

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4