The 17th team & it’s affect on the player market

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Considering the "new" blueprint from the game seems to be loading up on kids I would think that is where the real pressure is going to be.

Long term I would think the biggest impact could be on a club like the storm who thrive on picking up QLD kids early and getting them into their system

Considering the "new" blueprint from the game seems to be loading up on kids I would think that is where the real pressure is going to be.

Long term I would think the biggest impact could be on a club like the storm who thrive on picking up QLD kids early and getting them into their system
That sounds pretty good. It couldn't happen to a more deserving club.

I suspect DCE would be the only one they’d realistically think of but he’ll be 34 when they come in and still have a year left on his Manly contract.Unless Manly have someone ready to take his place,I can’t imagine a release given the new team may not be able to cover his wage given their targets are Munster and Harry Grant
Just watch the league offer them special dispensation on their salary cap to attract whomever they want

I've heard their marquee targets are Munster, Harry Grant & Ponga.

I can see Munster making another dumb mistake before the end of next season & the Storm letting him go for the 17th team to grab.

I can also see Ponga leaving Newcastle to take up an offer from them.

Can't see the Storm letting Grant go at this stage.
You're probably right about Grant although there are murmurs of him not being too happy about playing second fiddle to Smith so you never know

NRL expansion official: Peter V’landys locks in 17th team for 2023 in fiery meeting
Brisbane will have a second team in 2023 — but it was only approved after a fiery meeting between Peter V’Landys and club bosses.

It’s official. Brisbane will have a second team in 2023 after the NRL today announced a $50 million surplus.

In a landmark development, News Corp can reveal NRL expansion is going ahead with ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys informing the 16 clubs of the financial goldmine that will enable the governing body to proceed with a 17-team competition.

V’landys briefed the code’s chief executive and chairs of the NRL’s strong financial position at a high-powered meeting on Thursday, which included a $50m profit on top of the code’s beefed-up $100m broadcast deal with Pay TV partner Foxtel.

The code’s chief executives and chairs concluded talks under no illusions the code is ready to push on with a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos in rugby league’s most significant expansionary move since the birth of the Titans in 2007.

There was some robust discussion around future funding to the clubs, who were seeking an extra $1.5 million, totalling $24 million, plus some additional money in the form of a licence for the 17th team.

blah blah blah

Just watch the league offer them special dispensation on their salary cap to attract whomever they want
To be fair so they should as a starting point.

Nothing crazy maybe like 300k year one, 200k two and 100k year three.

I can already hear waaaayyynne whinge that they should have the $200k long service payment

Nope, he wants to be a one club player, reckon he will take less money next time around, for the good of the club. He's not it for the money, his fianancial planner told me. He's even happy to cut from his existing ongoing commission structure as well.
MV, that's sad..... I was joking, when EVER have you heard a Financial Planner taking a hit on his commission? Never!

I think its great although would prefer 18 sides (maybe a side in Perth?) so theres not a bye every week. Not exactly sure how they work it out so that every side gets the same amount of byes!

I like the idea of an extra game every week, the extra $ into the game to protect the longevity of the sport, and the extra jobs created in the communities to support the new club.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8