The 17th team & it’s affect on the player market

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not announced yet but common knowledge who’ll get the nod ( and who the coach will be ) so riddle me this.

What will the affect be on the player market with this addition??

And do you see any of our players heading north in 2023??

I think there is enough talent to go around.

Will be interesting to see if there is some sort of provision around clubs having to allow approaches to some contracted players etc

Last edited:
There will be a bit of drama surrounding a couple of Marque players offered big money .. but All the clubs will each still have the same amount to spend .. those that don't choose wisely will be ****ed .. just as it's always been .. and with Bennett coaching and foundation team status, I can't see that they will need to pay overs to attract any Qld'ers wanting to go home ..

As far as Manly players you would think DCE .. but he has said he is settled in Manly, and I am not sure if Wayne is that big a fan

Also .. the new club need about 17 NRL player, about one from each existing club ... the well run clubs where the players are happy should be fine .. the basket cases like Tigers, Canberra etc may see a line up of players wanting to leave ..

I suspect DCE would be the only one they’d realistically think of but he’ll be 34 when they come in and still have a year left on his Manly contract.Unless Manly have someone ready to take his place,I can’t imagine a release given the new team may not be able to cover his wage given their targets are Munster and Harry Grant

I suspect DCE would be the only one they’d realistically think of but he’ll be 34 when they come in and still have a year left on his Manly contract.Unless Manly have someone ready to take his place,I can’t imagine a release given the new team may not be able to cover his wage given their targets are Munster and Harry Grant
Young Jamie Humphreys just given a development contract so to be honest this wouldn’t surprise me.

It seems certain that the 'Fins will be the 17th club and they already have a strong talent pool. Their addition will certainly impact the two existing SEQld clubs in the recruitment of locals, plus Melbourne. This is a good thing. I'm sure it will also make it more difficult for non-SEQld clubs to pinch talent from that area now so I'm hoping Manly has some talent spotters in Fiji and PNG.

I've heard their marquee targets are Munster, Harry Grant & Ponga.

I can see Munster making another dumb mistake before the end of next season & the Storm letting him go for the 17th team to grab.

I can also see Ponga leaving Newcastle to take up an offer from them.

Can't see the Storm letting Grant go at this stage.

It seems certain that the 'Fins will be the 17th club and they already have a strong talent pool. Their addition will certainly impact the two existing SEQld clubs in the recruitment of locals, plus Melbourne. This is a good thing. I'm sure it will also make it more difficult for non-SEQld clubs to pinch talent from that area now so I'm hoping Manly has some talent spotters in Fiji and PNG.
Agree with that , Melbourne will be the most affected club in my opinion, especially if they announce Bennett as the coach.

Here is a complete fantasy team I put together of off contract players (2022), fringe players and ESL and rugby types...plus Munster haha. It has no basis and means absolutely nothing......but work is slow today so meh.

1.Dufty
2.Isaako
3.Marsters
4.Roberts
5.Vunivalu/Koribete/Radradra
6.Munster
7.Nikorima
8.Taupau
9.Hodgson
10.Ese'Ese
11.Sims
12.Bateman
13.Horsburgh

14.Cust
15.Faitala-Mariner
16.Evans
17.Eisenhuth

18.Taufua
19.Wakeham
20.Hipgrave
21.Stimson

22-30 - young talent

As long as we got Turbo we are all good.
Not really a big fan as I don't think there's enough talent in the important positions ie the spine , to go around.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8