The 17th team & it’s affect on the player market

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Here's a question. Redcliffe will have juniors who have been with them for years.

Say one was a junior from 12. He is now 22. He has been with club for 10yrs....can the new team claim salary cap relief for developing juniors?

That has to be a bonus for the club, they have developed them, just changed name. and can they claim it per player?

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

Here's a question. Redcliffe will have juniors who have been with them for years.

Say one was a junior from 12. He is now 22. He has been with club for 10yrs....can the new team claim salary cap relief for developing juniors?

That has to be a bonus for the club, they have developed them, just changed name. and can they claim it per player?

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game
Doubt it , would be 10 years in the NRL.

Realize that D C E has a strong Redcliffe connection but thought that Crusher Cleal recruited him when he was playing for Brisbane Wests in some lower grade comp . 2022 - 2023 could be very serious premiership opportunities for Manly so not sure that D C E would be that keen on relocating for that reason alone . plus not sure if any new Brisbane franchise could offer him any more money then he is currently on at Manly and the relocation and family disruption issue . Anyway time will tell but can "t really see D C E leaving Manly early on present indications . Did you ever play with one of D C E "s uncle "s , Cam Cherry, the burly red headed prop and Reddy junior , played against him when he had a brief stint in the local Mackay comp . , good hard running prop .
Yes mate Cam was a prop in the side the day I made my A Grade debut in 83 coming off the bench as a fresh faced 18 year old long haired 75kg lock lol lol. I had played all 4 grades that weekend.. I think the only player certainly at Redcliffe ever to do that. We played Brothers at Dolphin Oval... Les Cleal in the opposition.. what a giant of a man he was! His other Uncle Mark was also there - mainly played third grade

Yes mate Cam was a prop in the side the day I made my A Grade debut in 83 coming off the bench as a fresh faced 18 year old long haired 75kg lock lol lol. I had played all 4 grades that weekend.. I think the only player certainly at Redcliffe ever to do that. We played Brothers at Dolphin Oval... Les Cleal in the opposition.. what a giant of a man he was! His other Uncle Mark was also there - mainly played third grade
Wow four grades , some serious effort , you must have been very fit and durable but just about exhausted after that . Played a full game under 18 "s , then full game i st grade one time in the local comp here , didn ":t feel too bad afterwards but sure that 4 in one day or weekend would have been beyond me

Oh to be 18 again

Wow four grades , some serious effort , you must have been very fit and durable but just about exhausted after that . Played a full game under 18 "s , then full game i st grade one time in the local comp here , didn ":t feel too bad afterwards but sure that 4 in one day or weekend would have been beyond me
yes played full game Under 21's - we had Under 21's back then - then half a game C Grade - half a game Reserve Grade and then came on with 30 to go or something in A Grade. I was uber fit.... I was crazy and loved to tackle - so I would do a million tackles per game and would much rather them have the ball than us lol. In those days you came across Australian and State players playing C Grade and Reserve Grade. Brisbane footy in those days was damn strong. Sounds like you must have been fit to play two full games. What local comp was it?

yes played full game Under 21's - we had Under 21's back then - then half a game C Grade - half a game Reserve Grade and then came on with 30 to go or something in A Grade. I was uber fit.... I was crazy and loved to tackle - so I would do a million tackles per game and would much rather them have the ball than us lol. In those days you came across Australian and State players playing C Grade and Reserve Grade. Brisbane footy in those days was damn strong. Sounds like you must have been fit to play two full games. What local comp was it?
Mackay and districts footy comp, used to be four grades back when i was playing , 16 "s , 18 "s reserve grade and A grade , now 3 , Under 17 "s [or 16 's ] now play in junior league comp , Local A grade comp now , under 18 's , reserve grade and A grade , Might have mentioned a couple of years ago that there was always a sprinkling of former or future Brissy and even Sydney i st graders when i was playing locally , Not to the level of Brissy i st grade naturally but still quite competitive , Every major league city in Nth and Central Qld from Cairns to Bundy had strong local comps , still do for that matter and now encompassing separate Sate League sides. I had natural fitness being on a farm property with plenty of hard Yakka but still had to do a lot of general training and fitness to be competitive in i st grade and coming through the grades . Having some reasonable natural speed certainly helped . Still keep fairly active on my property and still can do virtually everything strength and fitness wise as i always have , Great if i can keep it up for many moons yet but who knows . Would not be at your fitness level but still try hard to maintain my normal level .

Mackay and districts footy comp, used to be four grades back when i was playing , 16 "s , 18 "s reserve grade and A grade , now 3 , Under 17 "s [or 16 's ] now play in junior league comp , Local A grade comp now , under 18 's , reserve grade and A grade , Might have mentioned a couple of years ago that there was always a sprinkling of former or future Brissy and even Sydney i st graders when i was playing locally , Not to the level of Brissy i st grade naturally but still quite competitive , Every major league city in Nth and Central Qld from Cairns to Bundy had strong local comps , still do for that matter and now encompassing separate Sate League sides. I had natural fitness being on a farm property with plenty of hard Yakka but still had to do a lot of general training and fitness to be competitive in i st grade and coming through the grades . Having some reasonable natural speed certainly helped . Still keep fairly active on my property and still can do virtually everything strength and fitness wise as i always have , Great if i can keep it up for many moons yet but who knows . Would not be at your fitness level but still try hard to maintain my normal level .
Sounds good mate - congrats - they are tough comps - I played in Roma for two years and played in Mt Isa for a short stint while I was relkieving for a few weeks up there with the State Government. Are you still in Mackay? My eldest son was a pretty decent footballer - from Barcaldine and lives in Moranbah now. Was contracted to the Storm when he was 15. You are so right - the country areas really were strong with lots of good players. Gee remember the late 70's and early 80's and the quality Qld Country footballers - Lew and Greg Platz, Rohan Hancock, Allan Smith etc etc. The Intra Super Cup could not have happened without the State League.

Last edited:
Sounds good mate - congrats - they are tough comps - I played in Roma for two years and played in Mt Isa for a short stint while I was relieving for a few weeks up there with the State Government. Are you still in Mackay? My eldest son was a pretty decent footballer - from Barcaldine and lives in Moranbah now. Was contracted to the Storm when he was 15. You are so right - the country areas really were strong with lots of good players. Gee remember the late 70's and early 80's and the quality Qld Country footballers - Lew and Greg Platz, Rohan Hancock, Allan Smith etc etc. The Intra Super Cup could not have happened without the State League.

Sounds good mate - congrats - they are tough comps - I played in Roma for two years and played in Mt Isa for a short stint while I was relkieving for a few weeks up there with the State Government. Are you still in Mackay? My eldest son was a pretty decent footballer - from Barcaldine and lives in Moranbah now. Was contracted to the Storm when he was 15.
must be really pleased and proud to have a son following in your footsteps and establishing himself as a good standard footy player . Probably have noticed his name or even seen him play if he was playing in the Mackay comp,[but i don't watch that many club games ] no doubt plenty of hard work and dedication by him footy wise that would have applied to you also Always have lived just off the main highway about 38 k 's south of Mackay .Certainly right about the quality footy players coming from QLd country over the years

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6