Team vs. Newcastle (Plus pre game waffle)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
5 day turn-a-round but what do the players do if not training? Do they do video work, strategize for the game v knights? Surely they don't sit around playing x-box all week?
GE you should know the answers :rolleyes: See the "Infamous Café" thread...they sit around having lattes :giggle:

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I've read all the entries but I'm yet to get a serving of waffle. I suppose there will be no steak knives either

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
No Pearce in a must win game at Brookvale Oval....Can only see a Manly win unless the side has totally given up....Manly by 22.

No one is saying to promote 4 young players at once .
Where did you pluck that one from ? lol
One example is that Journey man Jonathan Wright was promoted on the wing a few weeks ago ahead of some promising young guns for the game against the Titans that we lost . So how is a wing positional change going to destroy the cohesion that we don't already have ?
I would take the proactive approach and remove Croker the cohesion killer and move Tom Turbo to 5/8 and give Tom Wright crack at fullback .
That's trying something new and its better than sticking with the failing five eight that we have .
When was the last time that Trent Barrett did something proactive as a coach ?

Wright was put into the team because the other young blokes were 1,500 kms away in Sydney.

Wright was the only player at the ground.

Given Parker pulled out 2 minutes before the team ran out, I think its a BIT harsh to put it on Barrett that he didn't fly up a junior to fill the spot.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Wright was put into the team because the other young blokes were 1,500 kms away in Sydney.

Given Parker pulled out 2 minutes before the team ran out, I think its a BIT harsh to put it on Barrett that he didn't fly up a junior to fill the spot.
The reason J Wright was there because the others were not considered

Kevinward777

First Grader
Exactly why was jono wright put in???? Sure he caught 1 ball and scored untouched. But fmd if he was seen for the other 75 minutes. A juinor shoulda had that spot.
How Jono Wright was even deemed worthy of a spot in our top squad is mystifying. There are several NSW Cup players who are leaps and bounds ahead of this guy. Just Bog average and it amounts to yet another ineffective player along with Myles, Lussick and Hastings.

Kevinward777

First Grader

Yeah that’s true, but why the bloody hell was Wright even on the plane?

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
They gave up for the last three games didn’t they??

Why would this one be different!
A few reasons -

The streak started on the back of being about to "win a Premiership"
Then ambushed with penalties and from the Penthouse to the outhouse in confidence.

The media has ensured they will not be cocky and after being humbled 3 straight....this game will show if they are prepared to fight on in 2018 or roll over and have a chop at the spoon.....

I feel they will be in a headspace of Play hard for 80 minutes - no excuses, which is enough to take care of a Pearceless Knights.

1 of us will be right - I guess will know in about 21 hours...

Last edited:

Kevinward777

First Grader
You would hope that you don’t need to call on the 18th man so it makes sense that Jono went.
Much more beneficial for the young guys to play ressies than twiddle their thumbs in Gladstone isn’t it?
Nice perspective... makes sense. But why is Jono Wright in our top squad? He is barely Nsw Cup standard these days. He offers absolutely nothing other than the fact he managed to jag over 100 games in the NRL as a back up with the Dogs, Slime, Sharks and Warriors. And if it is because his contract stipulates that he has to be there, then fark me, what a first class c0ck up of a signing that was.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Terry......i kinda think our current side is not that inexperienced. Maybe they were last year but they should be playing better than they are. The team we have is a top 8 side. Yes the club has had to deal with the match fixing allegations, salary cap fiasco, injuries to key personnel etc. however there is plenty of experience in the team with the exception of Croker, Paseka, Gosiewski......other club coaches have had to deal with injuries & players not performing etc. The coaches have persevered with certain players but when when found wanting have replaced them with younger guys who have excelled when given the opportunity......the clubs fortunes have improved considerably....Knights & Panthers to name a few. I feel for Croker & yes he's trying hard but after 7 rounds you would expect him to have improved. Unfortunately he hasn't & the team is suffering as he is not the answer to our 5/8 dilemma. Barrett is starting to show that he's not the coach we all thought he was after the efforts of 2017. His selection policy has become annoying & his refusal to bring someone else in to the 5/8 position (ie Hastings) I think has something to do with the problems experienced recently with the infighting. Why has the club gone out & signed players like Tom Wright, Fainu, Metcalfe & telling the world how these kids are so great & are our future? These kids will be gone if they don'y get an opportunity. The club missed out on Pearce, Moylan, Hodkinson & Carney then tried to sign Lamb, Cogger & Flannagan!!!!! Are the latter anymore experienced than our current 3??? Better coaches than Barrett have given young players opportunities & are reaping the rewards. I know i'm rambling on but i don't have anything positive to write about or look forward at this time so yeah whatever.

TBH Barrett's selection policy has annoyed me from the start......of 2016.

It seems that if a player impresses him during pre-season training, he's in. If a player is not performing (notable exception being Nathan Green), Barrett will take anywhere from 10 weeks to 2 years to either drop them or move them to another position. And he also seems to let personality clashes dictate his side.

I'm sorry to say that even if we win over Newcastle later today, I have lost faith in Barrett's coaching. I know he took us to the Finals last year, but our late season form was anything but good and we just scraped in before bombing out in the first round. And this year there is no disguising the fact that we have gone backwards in a big way, and part of that is through bad management (letting Green go without a ready made replacement) and its also bad coaching (continually playing Croker at 5/8 when its obvious that he is not first grade quality, not even close).

When was the last time that Trent Barrett did something proactive as a coach ?

2015 when he agreed to give up coaching the Panthers U/20s and became the first grade assistant coach to Ivan Cleary where he wasn't actually in charge of anything major. It allowed Cameron Ciraldo to coach their U/20s and he immediately took them back to being the premiers they were before Barrett had them for a year.....

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18