Team vs. Newcastle (Plus pre game waffle)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

madmax

Bencher
But as others have mentioned, we already have a very inexperienced side and are hamstrung by injuries and the salary cap. The players we have there now are our best chance of digging us out of this, they just have to show they want to do it. I just don't think bringing in more inexperience and expect them to turn around a first grade NRL side is the answer. The way to bring young guys up is when the side is settled and winning. Shattering potential future stars is throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Terry......i kinda think our current side is not that inexperienced. Maybe they were last year but they should be playing better than they are. The team we have is a top 8 side. Yes the club has had to deal with the match fixing allegations, salary cap fiasco, injuries to key personnel etc. however there is plenty of experience in the team with the exception of Croker, Paseka, Gosiewski......other club coaches have had to deal with injuries & players not performing etc. The coaches have persevered with certain players but when when found wanting have replaced them with younger guys who have excelled when given the opportunity......the clubs fortunes have improved considerably....Knights & Panthers to name a few. I feel for Croker & yes he's trying hard but after 7 rounds you would expect him to have improved. Unfortunately he hasn't & the team is suffering as he is not the answer to our 5/8 dilemma. Barrett is starting to show that he's not the coach we all thought he was after the efforts of 2017. His selection policy has become annoying & his refusal to bring someone else in to the 5/8 position (ie Hastings) I think has something to do with the problems experienced recently with the infighting. Why has the club gone out & signed players like Tom Wright, Fainu, Metcalfe & telling the world how these kids are so great & are our future? These kids will be gone if they don'y get an opportunity. The club missed out on Pearce, Moylan, Hodkinson & Carney then tried to sign Lamb, Cogger & Flannagan!!!!! Are the latter anymore experienced than our current 3??? Better coaches than Barrett have given young players opportunities & are reaping the rewards. I know i'm rambling on but i don't have anything positive to write about or look forward at this time so yeah whatever.

Bencher
The key for us is not giving away penalties in Newcastles first couple of sets, and completing our first couple of sets. If we do this, I think we can go on with the game. Barrett needs to tell the players to not give the ref any reason to give Newcastle a 5th tackle penalty ever, and hold the ball when we have it. It's not rocket science, seriously!

Bencher
The key for us is not giving away penalties in Newcastles first couple of sets, and completing our first couple of sets. If we do this, I think we can go on with the game. Barrett needs to tell the players to not give the ref any reason to give Newcastle a 5th tackle penalty ever, and hold the ball when we have it. It's not rocket science, seriously!

I see you disagree @EagleBoi13, do you care to elaborate or contribute at all? I'd be interested to hear your reasoning...

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I have tipped (correctly) against us the past 3 weeks but fully expect a win this weekend.

I think we will get the job done. Tom, Jake and DCE will lead the way.

Its a big week, and stating the obvious, they can relieve the pressure with a win or it will escalate dramatically with another loss.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers

Does Todd still want us to be held down?
Will we cop a flood of penalties?
Does twenty have the full support of the board?

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member

I said this last week and guess what??

Fluffy

Journey Man
Terry......i kinda think our current side is not that inexperienced. Maybe they were last year but they should be playing better than they are. The team we have is a top 8 side. Yes the club has had to deal with the match fixing allegations, salary cap fiasco, injuries to key personnel etc. however there is plenty of experience in the team with the exception of Croker, Paseka, Gosiewski......other club coaches have had to deal with injuries & players not performing etc. The coaches have persevered with certain players but when when found wanting have replaced them with younger guys who have excelled when given the opportunity......the clubs fortunes have improved considerably....Knights & Panthers to name a few. I feel for Croker & yes he's trying hard but after 7 rounds you would expect him to have improved. Unfortunately he hasn't & the team is suffering as he is not the answer to our 5/8 dilemma. Barrett is starting to show that he's not the coach we all thought he was after the efforts of 2017. His selection policy has become annoying & his refusal to bring someone else in to the 5/8 position (ie Hastings) I think has something to do with the problems experienced recently with the infighting. Why has the club gone out & signed players like Tom Wright, Fainu, Metcalfe & telling the world how these kids are so great & are our future? These kids will be gone if they don'y get an opportunity. The club missed out on Pearce, Moylan, Hodkinson & Carney then tried to sign Lamb, Cogger & Flannagan!!!!! Are the latter anymore experienced than our current 3??? Better coaches than Barrett have given young players opportunities & are reaping the rewards. I know i'm rambling on but i don't have anything positive to write about or look forward at this time so yeah whatever.

they are the most inexperienced side in the comp so may want to rethink.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
One training session this week.

5 day turn-a-round but what do the players do if not training? Do they do video work, strategize for the game v knights? Surely they don't sit around playing x-box all week?

Fluffy

Journey Man
mmmmm waffles. Sucks if you can't get there until right on kick off though

do you get any topping on them or should we bring something

One positive is we have different refs compared to the last 3 weeks. Surely they all cant be getting brown bags from toddy. I would prefer Checcin atm , at least he would penalise the crap outa both teams.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
mmmmm waffles. Sucks if you can't get there until right on kick off though

do you get any topping on them or should we bring something

Speaking of waffles, kfc has a 'waffle down' out at the moment.

It is a waffle in between two fried chicken breasts.

fmd! Eat two and I think you die.

brad

First Grader
I think we will win and win well and if we dont win well , well our next win might be a few wins away.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
What would be insane is chopping and changing the side every week just because some forum posters are convinced we have several "next big things" languishing in lower grades. For arguments sake say he promotes 3-4 young ones and the team still gets its arse handed to it. Then what? You've destroyed whatever team cohesion you had and probably shattered the confidence of the young guys promoted before their time.
No one is saying to promote 4 young players at once .
Where did you pluck that one from ? lol
One example is that Journey man Jonathan Wright was promoted on the wing a few weeks ago ahead of some promising young guns for the game against the Titans that we lost . So how is a wing positional change going to destroy the cohesion that we don't already have ?
I would take the proactive approach and remove Croker the cohesion killer and move Tom Turbo to 5/8 and give Tom Wright crack at fullback .
That's trying something new and its better than sticking with the failing five eight that we have .
When was the last time that Trent Barrett did something proactive as a coach ?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
13 7 6 133 14
12 6 6 77 14
13 7 6 4 14