Surely they can't be serious about this (Brookie Oval)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: New plan aims to keep the 'burb at Brookvale Oval

There seems to be numerous problems with this design. First, the thing that people love about brookie is how close to the game they are. There is no seating on the inside of the footpath, meaning people are moved back at least 5-6m from the field. Secondly, not enough undercover seating, we'll continue to see 6000 people turn up in poor weather. The stands are too low, elevated positions are vital, especially for corporate boxes. There are not enough stands, we need something very similar to the current layout, keeping the hill but placing a grand stand behind. This will increase the capacity from around 20,000 to around 26,000. I don't see the value in starting from scratch when they could just upgrade certain areas and increase capacity while keeping much of what Brookvale oval is there.

Why don't they show an artist's impression of how it would look in the rain at night?

One of the biggest problems with the design is that so many NRL matches are scheduled at night (in winter).

That ground would probably be OK for a sunny afternoon - but on a cold drizzly winter night? > > > no comfort small crowds.

It's as if council doesn't care or has no idea what the Manly club brings to its local economy. Any new design for Brookvale oval has to focus on the Manly club as its main priority. Placing our logo in the picture just doesn't cut it.

I love the legend that is Brookie but we seriously have to start considering alternatives if this rubbish is continually dished up to us. As a club we need to stand up to this rubbish and let council know that we are prepared to pack up and go.

Take a look at the crowd in that depiction. You only have to count them to see what a numbskull this architect is. If it aint functional then having a crowd of 1500 lazing around on the grass unable to see the game is exactly what you will get.

The good news is firechild will finally be able to spread that picnic blanket out unencumbered :)

They don't even have the right number of players on the field. I think the council got confused and thought we are a park touch football team.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
They don't even have the right number of players on the field. I think the council got confused and thought we are a park touch football team.

Ah Ha, that's what they are doing making a ground that would be kick ass to watch 9-a-side touch footy.

It's a huge crowd for that sort of game that they've had turn up.

Shoe1 said:
At first look I'm not seeing a problem. What are you guys seeing that I am missing??

The issue with brookie is not the atmosphere or lack of a hill area, it is the lack of a proper grandstand that allows more people to come to games and stay dry when it is wet. This new design is a step backwards as it seems there are less grandstand seats!!! When people that love the hill say they want it to stay they have to understand it is killing the club financially, perhaps a small hillarea in front of a proper grandstand would work.

Does anyone else think that the concourse should be at the top of the hill and not at the bottom?

Wouldn't that add potential for several thousand more people to have a viewing position of the game?

Fluffy said:
I am serious and don't call me shirley

:D

Daniel said:
Does anyone else think that the concourse should be at the top of the hill and not at the bottom?

It is at the top isnt it ?

The concreted area that wraps around the playing surface is for officials etc not the public ?

people keep trotting out the crap that the hill is killing the club financially yet on the same wet night when we had a pissweak crowd about 10 rounds ago Gosford got less through the gate, then add on that the SFS (the best wet weather stadium in sydney) got less than 10K when it rained there as well.

Its not the hill that kills it, plenty like that, the facilities and size of the existing stands are what kills it. The only thing you could argue the hill kills is a reduction in good positioned corporate boxes, that could be fixed without farking the hill.

Yes Dan, i would propose a set of corporate boxes next to a concourse at the top of the hill, under the boxes add the facilities for food, toilets and bars. Thus the hill moves closer, we get the corporate but retain brookie.

For undercover "seating" go for an adelaide oval type cover the covers part of the hill on a lean to type arrangement.

Spot on. As I said, it takes away all the people that sit up at the fence right on top of the game. It's one of the best parts of the suburban grounds like Brookie. I like how it is now with seats around the fence and the the hill sits up higher so that people can sit on the ground and still get a good view.

The walkway is just a complete and utter waste of space. much better to have everyone walk at the top of or behind the hill and come through certain entry points into stands and on the hill. Also stops those buggers who stand in the walkway whilst you are trying to watch through them

... yeah, but wouldn't it be perfect for the frisby throwing contests and dog grooming championships that the ratepayers obviously want!

Looks great.... for a park footy oval.

For a major oval, no I dont feel like having brookvale halve its capacity. But it would actually be a quite nice design for a kids oval. ****ing desigers have no clue at all.

Nothing is going to happen - the council will not let any major construction near Brookie - we will have to walk away from Brookie to make them do something.
The council a full of old people that want it not to be touched. Therefore we are screwed.......

This is what i would like to see happen. Piss off the old corporate boxes and rebuild the Fulton-Menzies stand at the southern end of the field. Refurbish the Ken Arthurson and Jane try stands so it is all 1 big curved stand that runs the length of the southern tryline and western touch line. Don't touch the hills at all except to extend the westen side to accomodate new corporate boxes with toilets and food/beer stalls underneath. This would also add more room for signage and get rid of those ugly ancient signs behind the hill.

I do not see the reason behind bulldozing the lot and starting again. However, it is only a proposal and will likely not go ahead anyway.

dont need to touch the hill at all apart from getting a proper walkway out the back and an organised beer queue. Fix the stands, make sure there are cement paths where they should be (I hope they are already planning this anyway and just ran out of time) and redo the stands as the Fonz said and its done, thats all you need to do.

It looks to me that they are trying to strike a balance between the requirements of an NRL club, and a green design. We all know that there is a small, but vocal, and seemingly influential green group that appears to be doing all it can to get the Sea Eagles out of Brookie.
Pragmatism dictates that a negotiated solution might be the best outcome. Its all very well to say "stuff the greenies", however it doesn't work that way. If Council went ahead with a design that ignored the green aspect, then any development could be delayed for months, even years in the court system via legal challenges (and also incur significant legal costs). Some of us probably remember how the Parramatta Stadium development was held up in the courts by the "Friends of Parramatta Park" in the 80s. It eventually got approved, but there are never any guarantees in this sort of thing. While a majority of rate payers in Warringah might support the Eagles remaining at Brookie, I'm not sure they'd be happy with large amounts of their rate dollars being spent in court.
Its also fairyland stuff to think that we would ever get sufficient funding for a Robina style development.
Before completely dismissing this, I'd like to know how much undercover seating and corporate facilities will be available compared to what is there currently. If there is a net increase, then perhaps this is the best outcome. If there is less, then no, its not acceptable to the NRL Club. I'd also like to think that the club has had input into this.
Lastly, this is a "conceptual" type drawing which may not mirror the end product. The end product may well look much more acceptable. If the end result is to be a Redfern Oval boutique type facility, then the message is clear that the Sea Eagles need to move on. However I doubt this is the intention.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6