Suli off to Illawarra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Informative, as usual.
So, would you have Suli in our 17 and, if so, in what position?
I'm a fan of Parker but I acknowledge his shortcomings in attack. After last night's performance I've come to the opinion that Suli is worth the gamble at centre. He offers a lot more potency with ball in hand, even though he is nowhere near as good as Parker in defence nor as cluey as to how to set up his winger. I think if we are a realistic chance of beating the top four teams Suli is needed; he is our answer to Olam from Melbourne. It comes down to a strategy of Risk V Reward.
If Suli fires, and restricts his mistakes, we have much greater firepower. I'd imagine that our opponents would prefer to see Parker rather than Suli in our team.
Yes i would have him in the 17 to inject sharp penetration into our go forward sets off the bench and for backline cover. Manly needs points or someone to break up the grind to remain a threat, our big squad in a tight contest is more likely to succumb so we need points as a buffer, or attacking options to get back into a match.

Lawton has been quiet with less involvement but still love his work rate, Sipley will get targetted on the inside often but has improved his fitness from the start of the year.
Walker offers more in attack and is trying to improve his defensive involvement but his workrate is not as good as Lawton.

So to me i would have two big forwards on rotation and Walker and Suli as injection players, my thinking is if the game is tight i would rather points scoring and sharpness off the bench than workrate and size in the fast paced modern game.

Yes i would have him in the 17 to inject sharp penetration into our go forward sets off the bench and for backline cover. Manly needs points or someone to break up the grind to remain a threat, our big squad in a tight contest is more likely to succumb so we need points as a buffer, or attacking options to get back into a match.

Lawton has been quiet with less involvement but still love his work rate, Sipley will get targetted on the inside often but has improved his fitness from the start of the year.
Walker offers more in attack and is trying to improve his defensive involvement but his workrate is not as good as Lawton.

So to me i would have two big forwards on rotation and Walker and Suli as injection players, my thinking is if the game is tight i would rather points scoring and sharpness off the bench than workrate and size in the fast paced modern game.
Walker’s work rate has been fantastic.

A month ago I would have disagreed with you about taking Lawton off the bench. The role he is playing for us right now, isn't enough to justify his place. Walker on the other hand is playing so well, his spot is not under question. I am a massive fan of Lawton, but right now we need to focus on what seventeen can deliver us a premiership.
For the same reasons as @Technical Coach , Suli on the bench in place of Lawton is definitely an option Des must be considering.

A month ago I would have disagreed with you about taking Lawton off the bench. The role he is playing for us right now, isn't enough to justify his place. Walker on the other hand is playing so well, his spot is not under question. I am a massive fan of Lawton, but right now we need to focus on what seventeen can deliver us a premiership.
For the same reasons as @Technical Coach , Suli on the bench in place of Lawton is definitely an option Des must be considering.
Lawnton's defence is fabulous and he is really energetic when he comes on. Am sure he will stay on the bench.

Lawnton's defence is fabulous and he is really energetic when he comes on. Am sure he will stay on the bench.
Agree with all the above @Brisbane Tragic . It's how he is being used at the moment. 10/12 minute cameos isn't enough to justify his spot. As I said I am a massive fan of Karl. Have been since juniors, but pragmatically I am an even bigger fan of Manly winning a premiership in 2021. If that mean Des swaps out Lawton for Suli. So be it

Agree with all the above @Brisbane Tragic . It's how he is being used at the moment. 10/12 minute cameos isn't enough to justify his spot. As I said I am a massive fan of Karl. Have been since juniors, but pragmatically I am an even bigger fan of Manly winning a premiership in 2021. If that mean Des swaps out Lawton for Suli. So be it
Yes just can't see Suli getting much more. Remembering Suli's defence is questionable. With Walker and Lawnton we really are hopefully covered if we have an injury.

Agree with all the above @Brisbane Tragic . It's how he is being used at the moment. 10/12 minute cameos isn't enough to justify his spot. As I said I am a massive fan of Karl.
Me too a Massive fan, would love to see more game time, but guessing these short stints are all part of the Des master plan.

Walker’s work rate has been fantastic.
Yes of late it has been but it is more he is pushing himself beyond his normal levels but i have been happy with his involvment and defenisvely he has improved even if tackling is not his strong point. When Walker is making a proactive in your face defensive decision he has always been strong in that department but on the backfoot against a rolling forward pack he does show some deficiencies in technique.

It is more a comparison with Lawton in terms of doing the hard yards and tackles when the tempo is against us, as stated i would pick Walker over Lawton on the bench.

I'm a fan of Lawton also but i just don't see the point in Manly having players to remain in the grind against a team like Melb who will eventually come out on top in such a scenario---we need points to apply pressure.

I can still see Walker playing 5/8 when Foran is not around, i was happy with his development during Manly's last run in the semis a few years back.

Last edited:
Yes of late it has been but it is more he is pushing himself beyond his normal levels but i have been happy with his involvment and defenisvely he has improved even if tackling is not his strong point. When Walker is making a proactive in your face defensive decision he has always been strong in that department but on the backfoot against a rolling forward pack he does show some deficiencies in technique.

It is more a comparison with Lawton in terms of doing the hard yards and tackles when the tempo is against us, as stated i would pick Walker over Lawton on the bench.

I'm a fan of Lawton also but i just don't see the point in Manly having players to remain in the grind against a team like Melb who will eventually come out on top in such a scenario---we need points to apply pressure.

I can still see Walker playing 5/8 when Foran is not around, i was happy with his development during Manly's last run in the semis a few years back.

Have been one of Walkers critics in the past, spent to much time injured, suspended, Cop shops and at Pizza joints for the wrong reasons. Since his comeback after his latest injury, it's like he's had a light bulb moment go off in his head. Now, he's looking bigger, tackling's improved out of sight, doesn't lose it anymore and a constant danger with the ball. Lawton has been so solid of the bench also, nice headache for Des to have, I guess.

But staying in the grind is where it's needed, we know we've got points in us.

Limiting Grant up the middle is what's needed especially if Croker tackles himself to a standstill.
No use having Suli on the bench just to get us some points if we're leaking up the middle.
To me, Lawton seems like the smarter footballer so leave him there.

Leave the bench as it is, it's what's got us here.

Getting back to Suli

So, wonder if he chooses

$$$$ and almost zero chance of success whilst he’s there.

Less $$$ and a chance to work his way into a side that’s primed for a very possible 1-2 shots at glory within the next few years.

Jeez that’s a big choice to make isn’t it.

Getting back to Suli

So, wonder if he chooses

$$$$ and almost zero chance of success whilst he’s there.

Less $$$ and a chance to work his way into a side that’s primed for a very possible 1-2 shots at glory within the next few years.

Jeez that’s a big choice to make isn’t it.
not to mention his very close friends fainu, Paseka, Mole etc.

I am sure he has a manager in his ear saying that he could be earning more the next contract if he plays more...

I am sure he has a manager in his ear saying that he could be earning more the next contract if he plays more...
Yes I’m sure he as , nevertheless, success is remembered long after a big pay packet !!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8