Game Day: Storm v Manly [Round 19, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
A great day to be a Manly supporter. Still smiling after the win.
I might watch the replay of the second half and the golden point 10 tonight. Last night I spent of lot of game time hiding under a couch cushion panicking and blocking my ears.:giggle:
Threw the phone in the air when Cherry kicked the FG.

i had a good feeling about this season before it got going. Recently the footage of the playing group together, the positive but grounded things they are saying, Des having faith in other clubs unwanted players and others who have copped flak from their own etc all playing really well, is just making it all the better. Everyone who gets a go in the team through Des' squad rotation puts in. Can't ask for more really.

I’m sure it has been discussed on previous pages but that service from Manase for DCE’s successful field goal was pin point and we’re talking about almost 20m in distance under pressure. He’s a huge talent.

@Technical Coach disagrees with that, I don’t have an opinion but loved the game!!

https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...y/news-story/d09d1ae4c23c69c0afd03503a40c9eb6

The radar at Beacon Hill was vital for the defence of Sydney
July 3, 2015 5:43am
John MorcombeManly Daily
Halfway up the ridge between the Brookvale and Dee Why valleys, the rocky knoll called Beacon Hill commands expansive views of the coastline.

With such a commanding aspect over the approaches to Sydney, it was probably inevitable that Beacon Hill would one day by used for military purposes.

The hill takes its name from the trigonometrical beacon, called Manly Trig Station, that was established on its crown by the Lands Department in 1881.

08d0245e5587c81941c8794d68eb065b

The first military use of Beacon Hill was in the early days of World War II.

An observation post was established as part of Sydney Fortress, the city’s coastal defence system on which work had begun in the mid-1930s in response to the rising tide of Japanese militarism.

The fortress was based around batteries of 9.2-inch guns at North Head and Cape Banks, along with six-inch batteries at Middle Head, South Head and Signal Hill.

To detect and track enemy shipping observation, posts needed to be fitted with telescopic position finders, so posts were established at Beacon Hill, Dover Heights and North Head.

The information from the observation posts was transmitted to plotting rooms and data was then transmitted to the guns.

But darkness or bad weather made for poor observation, so the newly invented radar was introduced as soon as it became available.
But technology and defence policy were changing rapidly and the Beacon Hill radars were eventually superseded by mobile radars of the same type and subsequently by better radars.

With its equipment becoming increasingly obsolete, the radar establishment at Beacon Hill was finally closed in October 1973.

But its presence had ensured no tall buildings were built nearby because they would have interfered with the radars’ ability to operate to their optimal capacity.

036100dd20e9425b48b94b8bdec857e9

Undeveloped land near the radar dishes at Beacon Hill. 1973

The radars were removed in February 1974. The area was handed over to Warringah Council 1977 and used as headquarters by the local State Emergency Service, Volunteer Coastal Patrol and Manly-Warringah Radio Club.

The council sold the land in 1982 to the Australian Fixed Company, which already owned surrounding industrial land.

The volunteer groups that were based at Beacon Hill moved to Terrey Hills, along with the Warringah Shire Bush Fire Brigade.

-----
So interesting that Brookie was under an actual radar and it was part of a virtual fortress :nerd:

My uncle was in the RAAF and was one of the original technicians at the Beacon Hill Radar Station ... he bought 2 blocks of land in the street over looking Brooky for 50 quid

Happy to assist feathered friend

Firstly , I do not concentrate only the upper body as I work out six days a week three days gym resistance training and three days cardio sprint and leg work .
I am happy to assist all feathered friends

There are some reputable videos on you tube that can show you how to strengthen your ankles . I hope this helps you
Thanks @BOZO much appreciated.

Maybe you are the Technical Coach since you are speaking on my behalf-----wrongly i might add.

Fainu's all round passing in that game was pretty predictable (in it's variety for the most part)----doesn't mean you don't have quality passing mixed in.

Me technical OR coach, doubt it.

A humble fan “ living the dream”.

https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...y/news-story/d09d1ae4c23c69c0afd03503a40c9eb6

John MorcombeManly Daily
Halfway up the ridge between the Brookvale and Dee Why valleys, the rocky knoll called Beacon Hill commands expansive views of the coastline.

With such a commanding aspect over the approaches to Sydney, it was probably inevitable that Beacon Hill would one day by used for military purposes.

The hill takes its name from the trigonometrical beacon, called Manly Trig Station, that was established on its crown by the Lands Department in 1881.

An observation post was established as part of Sydney Fortress, the city’s coastal defence system on which work had begun in the mid-1930s in response to the rising tide of Japanese militarism.

The fortress was based around batteries of 9.2-inch guns at North Head and Cape Banks, along with six-inch batteries at Middle Head, South Head and Signal Hill.

To detect and track enemy shipping observation, posts needed to be fitted with telescopic position finders, so posts were established at Beacon Hill, Dover Heights and North Head.

The information from the observation posts was transmitted to plotting rooms and data was then transmitted to the guns.

But darkness or bad weather made for poor observation, so the newly invented radar was introduced as soon as it became available.
But technology and defence policy were changing rapidly and the Beacon Hill radars were eventually superseded by mobile radars of the same type and subsequently by better radars.

With its equipment becoming increasingly obsolete, the radar establishment at Beacon Hill was finally closed in October 1973.

But its presence had ensured no tall buildings were built nearby because they would have interfered with the radars’ ability to operate to their optimal capacity.

The radars were removed in February 1974. The area was handed over to Warringah Council 1977 and used as headquarters by the local State Emergency Service, Volunteer Coastal Patrol and Manly-Warringah Radio Club.

The council sold the land in 1982 to the Australian Fixed Company, which already owned surrounding industrial land.

The volunteer groups that were based at Beacon Hill moved to Terrey Hills, along with the Warringah Shire Bush Fire Brigade.

-----
So interesting that Brookie was under an actual radar and it was part of a virtual fortress :nerd:

Hmmmm closed in Oct 1973. After we went back to back, yep the radar was definitely not needed from then ;)

thanks SHOE1....been telling my kids about the Beacon Hill radar. only remembered the one.

this footage is from that era just behind the radar

That is great footage, somewhere at allambie hts or narraweena you reckon?

John MorcombeManly Daily

-----

Ah the memories. I lived half way up the hill in Alfred Road (which runs along side Brookie Oval) from 1954 until I left the district in 1976. What a great place to live. I remember all those old structures, quarries, great spans of vacant land. My closest mate who lived in the same street originally came from Newcastle. I recall standing with him on Beacon Hill and asking him if the strange structure to the north that looked like a castle was Newcastle (I was only about 10 or 11). He seemed to think it was probable. It was actually the Bahai Temple up the road from Mona Vale. What memories

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10