Game Day: Storm v Manly [Round 19, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ah the memories. I lived half way up the hill in Alfred Road (which runs along side Brookie Oval) from 1954 until I left the district in 1976. What a great place to live. I remember all those old structures, quarries, great spans of vacant land. My closest mate who lived in the same street originally came from Newcastle. I recall standing with him on Beacon Hill and asking him if the strange structure to the north that looked like a castle was Newcastle (I was only about 10 or 11). He seemed to think it was probable. It was actually the Bahai Temple up the road from Mona Vale. What memories

Built by the Welch Brothers .... my cousin's grandfather's building company and I believe the placement of the top piece was the first time a helicopter was used on an Australian building project ... a bit of northern beaches trivia for you

Ah the memories. I lived half way up the hill in Alfred Road (which runs along side Brookie Oval) from 1954 until I left the district in 1976. What a great place to live. I remember all those old structures, quarries, great spans of vacant land. My closest mate who lived in the same street originally came from Newcastle. I recall standing with him on Beacon Hill and asking him if the strange structure to the north that looked like a castle was Newcastle (I was only about 10 or 11). He seemed to think it was probable. It was actually the Bahai Temple up the road from Mona Vale. What memories
Just out of curiosity Bear, did you grow up with/near any Lawtons? I think some of my family would have lived pretty close by.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-home-in-one-point-thriller-20070527-gdq8ng.html

Match report

Manly 13 - Melbourne 12

Manly captain Matt Orford nailed a 30 metre field goal with just over three minutes on the clock to hand the Sea Eagles a 13-12 NRL win over Melbourne in a top of the table thriller at Brookvale Oval tonight.

Orford struck the field goal attempt straight between the posts to end the 12-all stalemate after Melbourne had fought back from a 12-6 halftime deficit in front of 18,640 fans.

Advertisement
Melbourne hooker Cameron Smith missed one attempted field goal while halfback Cooper Cronk missed two earlier attempts, his first charged down by the head of Manly hooker Michael Monaghan and his other sailing wide.

Monaghan had his own attempt from 35m also waved away.

Advertisement
In a game which is sure to see Manly lumped with the premiership favourites tag, the game started like a battle of the cellar dwellers with three successive dropped balls from Melbourne's Dallas Johnson, Manly's Luke Williamson and then Storm centre Matt King straight off a scrum.

Manly settled first with Chris Hicks barging over in the corner on four minutes off a play started by Monaghan who was again outstanding for the home side.

Backrower Anthony Watmough, also superb tonight, pushed Manly's advantage out to 10-0 after 14 minutes when he scored a fortuitous try when Israel Folau fumbled Orford's bomb and the Eagles second rower dived on the loose ball, while Jamie Lyon added the conversion.

Advertisement
Lyon converted a penalty shot from 10m out in the 19th minute for a 12-0 lead.

Melbourne fullback Billy Slater was denied by superb cover defence from Orford and Williamson in the 29th when he was held up over the line.

Advertisement
Folau made amends shortly before the break when he plucked Cronk's bomb from well above his head, leaping over Michael Robertson and then with two defenders on his back managed to surge over and touch down one-handed.

Cameron Smith's conversion just seconds before the halftime siren ensured a 12-6 scoreline in favour of Manly at the break.

Melbourne dominated after the break and Cronk's pinpont cross-field kicking led to Matt King's try in the 52nd minute with Smith nailing the conversion to level scores 12-all.

Advertisement
The match then turned into an absolute bash-a-thon, with Watmough and Jason King put on report for a dangerous throw on Steve Turner in the 44th minute.

Slater left the field in the 48th with concussion, a fractured cheekbone and badly cut right eye from a heavy collision with teammate Sam Tagatese when trying to tackle Orford.

Advertisement
Manly substitute George Rose suffered a sickening broken right leg in the 63rd minute which will more than likely end his NRL season.

MANLY 13 (C Hicks A Watmough tries J Lyon 2 goals M Orford field goal) bt MELBOURNE 12 (I Folau M King tries C Smith 2 goals) at Brookvale Oval. Referee: S Hayne. Crowd: 18,640

AAP

While we all still bask in the glory (and leave it up to Des to get the team re-focused), we can now see who tipped us to beat the storm.

tipsters-r19-1-top_20190724.jpg

tipsters-r19-2-bottom_20190724.jpg

It's 7.16am, wake up slug heads!

I loved the reaction (just the slightest reaction) by DCE in the on-the-ground post match interview when it was mentioned that Manly was going through a rebuilding phase.

The average games for our team that took the field is 88.

There only 2 players in the over 200 club, joel t & DCE. Those on the lowest end are waddell 15, Garrick 18 & Paseka 20.

Seems like a dumb comment by interviewer. Interesting to see where we are at with game experience. I see it as very good place for next few year requiring no major changers

Last edited:
I loved the reaction (just the slightest reaction) by DCE in the on-the-ground post match interview when it was mentioned that Manly was going through a rebuilding phase.

The average games for our team that took the field is 88.

There only 2 players in the over 200 club, joel t & DCE. Those on the lowest end are waddell 15, Garrick 18 & Paseka 20.

Seems like a dump comment by interviewer. Interesting to see where we are at with game experience. I see it as very good place for next few year requiring no major changers

I thought I saw a small reaction when the commentator said melb were the benchmark over the last 10 years." It seemed dce did a slight "pssssh, go fudge yerself" look.

As someone else pointed out, he seemed quite moved by the win.

Gooooooooooooo Manly!

What about you give some credit to Ballin, Stewart and Monas?

Why do you hate these Manly through and through blokes who have completely changed things this year?
What??? You’re delusional my friend. Where have I ever even hinted that I hate those three Manly legends? Or that I don’t value what they are bringing to the club?

You’re the one who claims Des Hasler isn’t Manly mate. You’re the one that ridicules Bob Fulton... two men who have contributed so much to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles over many decades. Why? Because you fork out a couple of hundred dollars for a membership each year?

Did you ever stop to think that the staff we have now came because Des demanded it as part of his contract. Wake up @Fluffy, every club has a coaching team... most of them make Dessie’s band of legends seem very small by comparison.

Get over it mate... the bitterness will rot away your loyalty.

Last edited:
What??? You’re delusional my friend. Where have I ever even hinted that I hate those three Manly legends? Or that I don’t value what they are bringing to the club?

You’re the one who claims Des Hasler isn’t Manly mate. You’re the one that ridicules Bob Fulton... two men who have contributed so much to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles over many decades. Why? Because you fork out a couple of hundred dollars for a membership each year?

Did you ever stop to think that the staff we have now came because Des demanded it as part of his contract. Wake up @Fluffy, every club has a coaching team... most of them make Dessie’s band of legends seem very small by comparison.

Get over it mate... the bitterness will rot away your loyalty.

you are yet to credit them with any improvement, its all your love child De$picable

you are yet to credit them with any improvement, its all your love child De$picable
De$picable deserves a little more respect mate. Would you go into the sheds after the game this weekend and sprout this sh1t in front of the players and old boys? My money says not.

Before the season began you kept banging on about how Des can’t coach, and that we wouldn’t make the eight. Then after the first two rounds your misery became even louder. It must suck to be so bitter because of something which happened in 2011 that you can’t even enjoy what has been an awesome season thus far.

Again I say... Des Hasler has 4 Manly Sea Eagles premierships. How many have you played a major role in @Fluffy?

I’m sure it has been discussed on previous pages but that service from Manase for DCE’s successful field goal was pin point and we’re talking about almost 20m in distance under pressure. He’s a huge talent.
the pass to DCE was excellent.the pass itself was an end over end type which helped in the catch and placement for dce. If it had have been a spiral there would have most likely been a reposition needed once DCE caught it before the drop kick....
I'm not sure about this 'predictable passing that was mentioned above. Manase's general passing is a big reason we are so on the front foot in attack especially up the middle. 9 times out of 10 the receiving players are moving at pace onto the ball which is a direct result of his passing.
While I like Api for his heart and effort his passing has always been flat and often misguided. Under Barrett the amount of play DCE recieved flat footed was terrible and nullified our flow.

Fun fact... DCE has scored the winning points in Golden point matches more than any other player, past or present.

Daly Cherry-Evans: 6
Jonathan Thurston: 4
Mitchell Pearce: 3
Chris Sandow: 3
Clinton Schifcofske: 3
Cooper Cronk: 3
Josh Reynolds: 3
Trent Hodkinson: 3
That probably means we have won the most golden games? I think hokko got at least one of his for us. Also we won the first one with Ben walker kicking.

That probably means we have won the most golden games? I think hokko got at least one of his for us. Also we won the first one with Ben walker kicking.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Rugby_League_golden_point_games

Panthers have won the most with 11 golden point wins (from 18).

We have 8 golden point wins from 15 matches:

2003 vs Parramatta, Brookvale (Ben Walker)
2016 vs Warriors, Perth (DCE)
2017 vs Raiders, Canberra (Dylan Walker)
2017 vs Raiders, Brookvale (DCE)
2017 vs Warriors, Auckland (DCE)
2018 vs Sharks, Cronulla (DCE)
2019 vs Rabbitohs, Brookvale (DCE)
2019 vs Storm, Melbourne (DCE)

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10