Stewart offered $3.5 million to quit league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It reads like a pack of lies, typical telegraph crap. Comments like "a source in london said" well with 7.5 million people in london im sure someone would talk this garbage. Brian O'Driscoll for Ireland isnt on much more than €500,000 a year so for Brett to be offered $850,000 per season from a second division English club after he has a history of Bad knee injuries and has never played a game of union. I think Dean Richie is talking smack again that paper will stop at nothing to try to cause us problems and drive his price up.

From Danny Wielder
THE Eagles Angels, Manly's female celebrity supporter group, celebrated 10 years last week - and their most outspoken member is still very angry about the treatment of their favourite player, Brett Stewart. And if he decided to leave the NRL, you get the feeling they'd understand. Wendy Harmer and the Eagles Angels had shreds torn off them for daring to back Stewart. ''The attacks on the Eagles Angels were nothing compared with what Brett Stewart went through,'' she said. Harmer's fury was re-ignited after the publication of an article in last week's Good Weekend, which detailed what a sick criminal the father of the girl at the centre of the Stewart rape allegations is. He manipulated her and her mother and defrauded others. But more than that, he has forever ruined the reputation of a good man - Stewart. "The attacks on Brett were just horrifying - and the worst part of it was that it was a pack mentality. People just jumped into him and one attack was worse than the next. There were very few members of the media on radio, TV or print who could say that they didn't join in. It's a huge problem in Australia. And the accusations were harsh. If there are two things that a man would never want to be accused of, it's rape and being a paedophile - Brett was accused of the first and there were plenty of people wanting to take it a step further because the girl was not 18. The mob mentality was just disgusting. You know, mud sticks in a big way, and I am just amazed that Brett is able to play football still - let alone to the level that he has reached. The courage that young man has displayed, I'm just amazed. He was the subject of blanket condemnation like I have rarely seen it before.'' The article made particular mention of the ABC program Media Watch. That show attacked a story I broke on Nine News as the story was unfolding. Media Watch accused me of trying to run a smear campaign against the father of the so-called victim. The truth of the matter is I was interested in telling the truth about the situation. Good Weekend wrote: ''The ABC's Media Watch did not query where those stories came from, but it did attack Channel Nine for raising Nero's [real name altered to a pseudonym for legal reasons] history of fraud. It suggested the Manly club was running a smear campaign. A somewhat defamatory comment still on the Media Watch website reflects the thinking that many of us would have shared at the time: ''Shame on anyone who thinks that it is okay to start a smear campaign against the father of the alleged victim. This is typical, a player sexually assaults someone, the club covers it up using a smear campaign.'' Well, Media Watch is still carrying that embarrassing report and you can view the pompous and unresearched mutterings of their host online to this day. How he and those who produced the program on that night were not sacked is a mystery. Stewart and the Eagles should have taken legal action against them - they successfully sued News Ltd. For the record, no one from the club fed any kind of story about the father to me. Nor did I have a particularly close relationship with Brett Stewart, his brother Glenn or his family. The father of the girl was handing his phone number out to the media and backgrounding journos off the record from moment one of the story, and that just smelt bad. ''I don't know if any amount of money or apologies can make up for what was done to Brett,'' Harmer said. The most telling point of the whole sorry saga is that the jury took less than an hour to reach a verdict: not guilty.
Stewart's suitors
When I raised St George Illawarra's renewed interest in Brett Stewart with him a couple of weeks back I was told the deal with Manly was just about done and only the fine details needed sorting. Now there is interest from overseas. It would be a massive call from Stewart to leave the club that has been a huge part of his life - he has that real ''one-club player'' feel about him. Stewart took a financial hit because of his legal case and the subsequent loss of sponsors. He also could afford himself a degree of anonymity if he was living in London or anywhere in Europe. At the core of his issue with Manly is that he wants a four-year deal to finish his career. I'm hearing he would start working with Diabetes Australia as part of his new Manly deal - it's likely that will be his job after football. Those who know Stewart say he starts missing the northern beaches once he crosses the Harbour Bridge. I mentioned Matt Cooper would have to call it quits for that to even have a slight hope of happening. Cooper has said he wants to play on but some in the club don't want that to happen.

conanu said:
It reads like a pack of lies, typical telegraph crap. Comments like "a source in london said" well with 7.5 million people in london im sure someone would talk this garbage. Brian O'Driscoll for Ireland isnt on much more than €500,000 a year so for Brett to be offered $850,000 per season from a second division English club after he has a history of Bad knee injuries and has never played a game of union. I think Dean Richie is talking smack again that paper will stop at nothing to try to cause us problems and drive his price up.

London Irish isn't a 2nd division team though

Whatever Manly do, they cannot left Brett Stewart go at this stage in his career. They have to sign him up for the next few years on a solid salary, sign up Gifty and let them see out their NRL careers as one club players.

There will still be big dollars overseas for them both to make some extra cash before they hang up their boots, they'd also be able to play OS at the same time.

After what Brett's had to go through, you can see his fortunes are changing and he still has a lot left in Australia both during and after his playing career.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
He needs to be signed immediately after what i saw of brett today.

He would be, but wants four years. I love Snake, but there has to be a question mark about his longevity. I can understand the club wanting to sign him for three years.

Cameron said:
From Danny Wielder
For the record, no one from the club fed any kind of story about the father to me. Nor did I have a particularly close relationship with Brett Stewart, his brother Glenn or his family. The father of the girl was handing his phone number out to the media and backgrounding journos off the record from moment one of the story, and that just smelt bad.

I hope Danny The Worm isn't trying to take some moral high ground here ?? He is as big a grub as those bottom feeders at News.

Chip and Chase said:
Cameron said:
From Danny Wielder
For the record, no one from the club fed any kind of story about the father to me. Nor did I have a particularly close relationship with Brett Stewart, his brother Glenn or his family. The father of the girl was handing his phone number out to the media and backgrounding journos off the record from moment one of the story, and that just smelt bad.

I hope Danny The Worm isn't trying to take some moral high ground here ?? He is as big a grub as those bottom feeders at News.
True but back In 2009 there were only 2 journos who didn't hammer Brett, wielder and Ritchie.

bones said:
lsz said:
bones said:
Brett would never have went to trial if the Coffs Harbor incident wasn't swept under the carpet. The police know something happened and were pissed off that charges weren't laid. Brett, unfortunately, paid the price for that.

Bones this is no worse than people who go on about knowing the "true" story about Brett

As for Mr I as per usual if anyone else other than him had wrote that it would not have caused such a stir

There is one small difference. Brett was proven innocent in a court of law. The Coffs Harbour incident was swept under the carpet after police bungled the investigation.

They were as guilty as sin. A cop in Coffs involved in the case was shot at the time for trying to speak out - major coverup.

Regardless the case did not even get to the courts

I am sorry I find it hypocritical that the dogs are "guilty" as a case was bungled...and did not get to court?

We should give them the same rights that we want for Brett. No charges = innocent

eagles2win said:
conanu said:
London Irish isn't a 2nd division team though

Yeah that is true they are first division in the Aviva Premiership, but they practically are 2nd division as they rarely make the Heineken Cup and that is the Pinnacle comp in Europe. They came 7th and missed out again last year.

Mal Cochrane said:
Didn't Foran sign after consultation with Snake and what he was doing in the future? He'd be a bit miffed if Snake left now don't you think?

YEP- They are suppose to be very close & discussed things moving foward apparently

lsz said:
Regardless the case did not even get to the courts

I am sorry I find it hypocritical that the dogs are "guilty" as a case was bungled...and did not get to court?

We should give them the same rights that we want for Brett. No charges = innocent

Putting myself out on a ledge here, but I have to agree with you.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8