State of Origin 2020 discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’ve never really liked Bennett simply because of all the advantages he’s been gifted. At the Broncos he had pretty much the Queensland SOO team. At the Dragons he was given Gasnier on top of the salary cap and the NRL and the refs helped him over the line in the GF. At Souths he’s been allowed to retire underperforming players and spend their money on hand picked replacements. Only at the Knights did he have to compete on a level playing field.

I have to admit however that his teams, while stacked, are clearly well coached. Filter would have won several spoons with the same teams Bennett has taken to the finals.

Some of those players looked ready for an off season... looked like some tired bodies out there to me

I thought it was a bludger of a game.. lacked intensity and atmosphere!
Blues were garbage and queensland showed more grit and spirit!
I thought it was the best game of footy I’d seen in ages. Individual efforts like those of capewell and Munster turned the tide instead of possession counts and completion rates. You’re probably younger than me and just used to the robots.

Fuuck. I spent the pre-game and the first half trying to give the qlder daughter some hope. She’d written them off, just on paper. I said, you lot love that shiit. I even said I’ll cheer for your Maroons when DCE goes well. She wasn’t going to watch the second half. But I said I’ve taught you to be a better supporter than that. Always watch the whole game, wether you get smashed or not. That way when you win, it feels so much better.
And sure enough, they do it again.
I’m not as miserable as I usually am after a Blues loss. Due to Cherry having a cracker game, and his goal kicks. Also loved the passion from Kurt Capewell. Was already under an injury cloud, but played like his life depended on it.
As for the Blues, surely Cordner has played his last game.(I was actually hoping he’d fail his HIA). And Wighton and Gutho, out of position, were found wanting. Wighton needs to be at 5/8. Kearys too small, and Cleary offered nothing.
And believe me, as hard as it is to say this....I liked Slaters commentary. Very unbiased and intelligent.

Wighton terrible all game. Blues forwards went missing in the 2nd half. Ridiculous that there was not a penalty at the end when QLD created a rugby ruck to stop the play the ball.

Wouldn't say he was terrible, he just never got the ball. Keary poked his nose through on the left a few times but Wighton was well marked. Defensively found out a fee times though.
Paulo played good first half but was unsighted 2nd half, did he come on?
Did Walker come on for Frizell as I don’t remember him doing much in the 2nd half.
I know Murray’s injury affected our bench rotation but Freddy was out coached.

Last edited:
Being forced to take the conversions in origin will hopefully be the making of our DCE. Those two kicks from the sideline at clutch moments. They were huge moments in that game. The greats want the ball in their hands for those moments. Hopefully DCE and Des both grow this origin series, and realise DCE is the best man for that role at MAN. He handled it like the New King. And the benefit far out weigh the negatives. If he is owning those moments at club land, I guarantee his leadership and game management is likely to improve also.

Let's not talk about the rest of his kicking game tonight. It was the rubbish as per normal. But small steps. I'm pretty proud to see our turtle kicking conversions again. And doing it well.

I thought it was the best game of footy I’d seen in ages. Individual efforts like those of capewell and Munster turned the tide instead of possession counts and completion rates. You’re probably younger than me and just used to the robots.
I really liked Capewells game. It was just heart and determination. Is he a centre? No. But I think he won that battle against Gutherson. You can see he would have been a handful playing on the wing back at Ipswich. And it is his size, speed and versatility which makes him valuable. He just said give me the ball and ran hard. And then the ball just kept finding him. It is hard to fathom that he is playing in a team where he just can't get a game most weeks at Penrith. Could well be worth a phone call or two Noel? Get him to grow a big bushy beard and stick him on the wing;-)

Geez Queen gutho got spanked hard by an out of position Capewell.. he smashed him, stepped him and set up a great try and in the 2nd intercepted one of his offloads. The queen isnt origin material.. bring in lomax blind freddy what were you thinking

I really liked Capewells game. It was just heart and determination. Is he a centre? No. But I think he won that battle against Gutherson. You can see he would have been a handful playing on the wing back at Ipswich. And it is his size, speed and versatility which makes him valuable. He just said give me the ball and ran hard. And then the ball just kept finding him. It is hard to fathom that he is playing in a team where he just can't get a game most weeks at Penrith. Could well be worth a phone call or two Noel? Get him to grow a big bushy beard and stick him on the wing;-)
Im watching now and he spanked gutho badly.. which is brilliant mate! Doubt gutho will be back in origin. Lomax is one of the best centers in the game. Also Gagai gave wighton an absolute bath in the 2nd

Just some of the pics from tonight. Unfortunately my bloody phone battery just about died on me right before kickoff so not many action shots here.

SoO Adelaide 001.jpgSoO Adelaide 004.jpgSoO Adelaide 006.jpgSoO Adelaide 008.jpgSoO Adelaide 009.jpg

Queensland seemed to have nothing in the first half. DCE was a bit tentative with the ball in hand, though his defence was first class. He came alive in the 2nd half though and you could see he wanted the ball more.

Jake was Jake. Just a machine, he never stopped tackling. I don't think I saw him miss a tackle all night. They ran at him, they hit the deck. But I'll say this ... I'd love to see him run to the line more than playing first receiver and passing.

The Qld halves, especially in the second half, completely outplayed the NSW pair. Other than his kicks at goal, Cleary was hardly sighted.

Most of the 25,218 in attendance (Covid Capacity) were definitely backing Queensland. NSW had their fans and they were loud ... but outnumbered. And despite the ground only being just under half full (it officially holds 55,317), the atmosphere was amazing. I'd love them to come back in the future and be able to play in front of a full house.

Quite a few 6 again's in the first half, they died off sharply in the 2nd.

Cherry's first kick at goal from in front was a dead set shocker. Had a bit of a breeze against him and it went both wide and almost short from just 20 out. His sideline conversions in the 2nd half though ... you'd have thought he was kicking a FG to ice the game for Manly. They were never going to miss.

Damn it was good seeing Queen Gutho get palmed off in the run to Qld's first try. He wasn't doing some stupid looking dance then was he lol. And Jack Wighton? Well, on either side lets just say NSW missed being Turbo charged.

NSW looked out on their feet in the second half, shock horror, apart from Jake the Energizer Bunny (yet while the other NSW forwards were gasping for breath like they'd been 30 year, 2 pack a day smokers, Fittler chose to give Jake a rest. Go figure?) which was most of why Qld came back to win. They just had fresher legs. The NSW pack though did have the handicap of Cameron Murray's injury (happened right in front of me). He lasted less than 5 minutes. And Cordner going off early for a HIA didn't help their cause either. Still, Qld did look the fresher side in the 2nd half.

Addo-Carr's 76th minute try should never have been. The pass from Cody Walker to Gutherson was directly in front of me and almost a metre forward. Even NSW fans around where I was were saying it was forward. Actually, its amazing how many forward passes at this level are let go.....

I have been to around 100 or so sporting events at the Adelaide Oval over the past 35 years, and tonight was the first time ever that I've been there where the old scoreboard was not used. I was disappointed in that. I'd have liked to have seen the scores up on that grand old scoreboard.

After 30 years, it was worth the wait. Especially so seeing Cherry playing a dominant role.

Last edited:
Queensland seemed to have nothing in the first half. DCE was a bit tentative with the ball in hand, though his defence was first class. He came alive in the 2nd half though and you could see he wanted the ball more.

Jake was Jake. Just a machine, he never stopped tackling. I don't think I saw him miss a tackle all night. They ran at him, they hit the deck. But I'll say this ... I'd love to see him run to the line more than playing first receiver and passing.

The Qld halves, especially in the second half, completely outplayed the NSW pair. Other than his kicks at goal, Cleary was hardly sighted.

Most of the 25,218 in attendance (Covid Capacity) were definitely backing Queensland. NSW had their fans and they were loud ... but outnumbered. And despite the ground only being just under half full (it officially holds 55,317), the atmosphere was amazing. I'd love them to come back in the future and be able to play in front of a full house.

Quite a few 6 again's in the first half, they died off sharply in the 2nd.

Cherry's first kick at goal from in front was a dead set shocker. Had a bit of a breeze against him and it went both wide and almost short from just 20 out. His sideline conversions in the 2nd half though ... you'd have thought he was kicking a FG to ice the game for Manly. They were never going to miss.

Damn it was good seeing Queen Gutho get palmed off in the run to Qld's first try. He wasn't doing some stupid looking dance then was he lol. And Jack Wighton? Well, on either side lets just say NSW missed being Turbo charged.

NSW looked out on their feet in the second half, shock horror, apart from Jake the Energizer Bunny (yet while the other NSW forwards were gasping for breath like they'd been 30 year, 2 pack a day smokers, Fittler chose to give Jake a rest. Go figure?) which was most of why Qld came back to win. They just had fresher legs. The NSW pack though did have the handicap of Cameron Murray's injury (happened right in front of me). He lasted less than 5 minutes. And Cordner going off early for a HIA didn't help their cause either. Still, Qld did look the fresher side in the 2nd half.

Addo-Carr's 76th minute try should never have been. The pass from Cody Walker to Gutherson was directly in front of me and almost a metre forward. Even NSW fans around where I was were saying it was forward. Actually, its amazing how many forward passes at this level are let go.....

I have been to around 100 or so sporting events at the Adelaide Oval over the past 35 years, and tonight was the first time ever that I've been there where the old scoreboard was not used. I was disappointed in that. I'd have liked to have seen the scores up on that grand old scoreboard.

After 30 years, it was worth the wait. Especially so seeing Cherry playing a dominant role.
NSW forwards definitely went missing, and effected Cook threat from dummy half. Thought the turning point was the way QLD forwards came out and bashed NSW in second half and DCE hand his hands on everything from then. Great game.

I think NSW will be a lot better in second game. Went away from their game plan and have strike players like Crighton who I would bring into centre and play Wighton at 5/8. Sonic to come into selection although would not drop walker off the bench. Cam Murray was a big loss.

NSW selectors have a weird habit about picking their best 17 players and then shoehorning them into random positions.
Picking Gidley at 14, and captain, was the crown jewels of stupidity with Gutho playing centre last night a close second.

I liked the period when dce, friend, Munster and hunt were all out there. They swapped a bit between dummy half, first and second receiver playing eyes up.

Des should take note with dce, schuster and foran next year plus whoever is hooker.

Capewell was great and he was originally a centre

Saw a great tweet this morning , can’t remember who wrote it ( might have been Gould).

NSW played great NRL football in the first half, QLD played great Origin football in the second half.

Fellow Queenslanders !!!

The true believers have witnessed The Legendary and proud Maroons in Great Glory once again

The true believers have witnessed another Great resilient Maroon Victory against all the odds

It was a classic case of the Legendary Maroon Magic that lies in the Legendary Maroon Jersey
Prevailing against the Mythical NSW team of Paper soldiers who dominated the teams on paper but as history keeps repeating it self that games are not won on paper . They are won by the courageous and resilient Legendary Magical Maroon spirit on the field !!!

The Mythical NSW Paper Soldiers and everyones favourites to win the game came out full of confidence but as the game surged ahead so did the belief by the Great Maroon souls proudly wearing their Legendary Magical Maroon jersey and the more they believed in them selves the more The Mythical NSW Paper soldiers doubted their big name status and in the end were put out of their misery and out of game one

The Worthy man of the match was the one and only Legendary DCE who was also the best Manly player in 2020
These remarkable stats below against the so called leading half who played in a dominant grand final team with a dominant spine consisting of a dominant 5/8 a dominant hooker and a dominant fullback who only lost just one game this year just reinforce how great DCE is....
2020 NRL stats
Line Breaks assists DCE 17 Cleary 11
Try assists DCE 20 Cleary 17

The Magical Maroon Legend lives on
because ...
A winning history , pride and passion is on our side !!!
QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!!
QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!! QUEENSLANDER !!!
QUEENSLANDER !!!

cherry-evansd-try-180711-sd-06.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10