Speed & Size

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

NLSeaEagle

Reserve Grader
It seems absolutely obvious to me that we need to recruit some speed and size in the outside backs (centres, wings) but for some reason all the transfer rumours around us are for other positions!!

Uate, Tafua - sure they can be powerful runners.........but lets be honest, they are not quick, not great in the air offensively and both are liabilities in the air defensively
Wright - steady but slow
Kelly - slow, mistake prone, poor hands, not a natural ball player
Walker - short distance speed, small

I reckon I watch 3 or 4 NRL games a week and I am envious of all these clubs who seem to have dynamic young wingers/centres who are big, fast and regularly smashing it in the air (especially offensively)

Am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 26876

I disagree. Tommy Turbo, Dce, Walker and Uate have plenty of pace. A good side is a balanced side and I see our backs are currently a perfect balance between speed and power, every one of them can take solid hit ups in the middle of the field at pace and all of them can make speedy runs when required to do so. Taufua is indeed a liability under the high ball although Uate has completely turned around, he's been brilliant under the high ball with very few errors from them. Uate was poor under the ball last week although that was the sun 100%, even the dragons couldn't cope with the few kicks we sent up in that corner of the field. Jimmy the Jet has speed although i'm perfectly happy with the backline we have, infact i'd prefer it over the NSW backline

anthonyb1965

GO Manly
Screenshot 2017-07-26 20.33.45.png

Think we are fine ;)

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
I disagree. Tommy Turbo, Dce, Walker and Uate have plenty of pace. A good side is a balanced side and I see our backs are currently a perfect balance between speed and power, every one of them can take solid hit ups in the middle of the field at pace and all of them can make speedy runs when required to do so. Taufua is indeed a liability under the high ball although Uate has completely turned around, he's been brilliant under the high ball with very few errors from them. Uate was poor under the ball last week although that was the sun 100%, even the dragons couldn't cope with the few kicks we sent up in that corner of the field. Jimmy the Jet has speed although i'm perfectly happy with the backline we have, infact i'd prefer it over the NSW backline
I do agree there is a reasonably good balance of power and speed in the backline... though nothing spectacular in the speed department, somewhat compensated by the power Uate and Taufua provide.

However, I do agree with the gist of the OP in that we completely lack any attacking threat in the air. Yes, Uate has showed improvement catching bombs, which has been a welcome surprise. But realistically, we offer nothing in that department as a 5th tackle attacking option.

One further point I would disagree on. I don't consider Tommy a power runner. He is great heading into gaps and in a bit of space. However, when fronted by a set defensive line he tends to crumple very quickly, as opposed to the momentum and leg drive from runners like Uate and Taufua.

Anyway, all backlines are going to have there strengths and weaknesses, and I'm very happy with how ours is building. I have mentioned it elsewhere, but I would love to see Tommy develop his ability in the air attacking bombs (both defensively and offensively).

Holmsey

Bencher
I dont get this thread to be honest.

1 Trbojevic 194cm and 102 kg
One of the most powerful and strong backs in the comp, biggest fullback and probably the best meter eater fullback, and speed is not a problem, destroyed Morgan early in the year with a coast to coast run and everyone knows Morgan is up in the top 10 fastest players

2 Taufua/Wright 184cm/192cm 105kg/95kg
Both are 2 of the most powerful ballrunners in the outside backs (Jorge is number#1 by far out of all the backs in the NRL), not quick but not slow either, just quick enough to play backline

3 Walker 181cm 94kg
Hes the NRLs premier centre for a reason. Hes got great acceleration and bursts of speed and is one of the quicker outside backs in the NRL, as for making meters and bending the line he does it reguraly, great aggresive hard runs every run

4 Kelly 184cm 96kg
Good Acceleration and footwork and good over short distance. Dont call him slow, he is far from slow. He destroyed teams in under 20s with his pace and has threatened to do so a couple of time in fg. As for his size he will grow to become bigger in coming season and will only improve with experience with carries. This boy is a keeper.

5 Uate 182cm 98kg
NOT QUICK! Uate has burned quick players numerous times this year with his extreme pace. Hes up there in the top 10 quicker players of the comp. His size not an issue either with his pace and strong runs together makes him perfect to start our sets.

Holmsey

Bencher
As for attack air kicks and that we arent a threat... we dont need this option in attack we have it anyway, Uate is as good as any of the other wingers in taking attacking bombs. Stop comparing manly to all these other teams and we should be like them! We are manly, not broncos or melbourne or anyone else. Manly plays to the manly style.

TokyoEagle

Bencher
Quite happy with our backline at the moment. If we are to target some quality talent in the outside backs it is going to affect other positions due to salary cap. Would prefer that we target a good wide running second rower that can hit a gap/bend the line in attack, and is good defensively.

Kevinward777

First Grader
It seems absolutely obvious to me that we need to recruit some speed and size in the outside backs (centres, wings) but for some reason all the transfer rumours around us are for other positions!!

Uate, Tafua - sure they can be powerful runners.........but lets be honest, they are not quick, not great in the air offensively and both are liabilities in the air defensively
Wright - steady but slow
Kelly - slow, mistake prone, poor hands, not a natural ball player
Walker - short distance speed, small

I reckon I watch 3 or 4 NRL games a week and I am envious of all these clubs who seem to have dynamic young wingers/centres who are big, fast and regularly smashing it in the air (especially offensively)

Am I missing something?
Wow!

NLSeaEagle

Reserve Grader
OK fine, I've been told!!

It just seems to me that these guys are work horses as opposed to exciting players...............

I also disagree with posts that suggest we do not need aerial attack options.................I think it's an absolute must get!!

Kevinward777

First Grader
Where has Walkers explosive speed gone this last 6 weeks ?
Yeah and Uate has been very slow scoring and setting up long range tries. Tafua an absolute slug running for over 200 metres a game. Matthew Wright is horrible back up with his paltry 140 odd NRL games. And what about Turbo, he was terrible running down Dufty at least he didn't manage to strip him of the ball. Then there's Walker, well you beat me to it. We're a terrible side, slow unmotivated and weak, we've got good forwards though.

Holmsey

Bencher
OK fine, I've been told!!

It just seems to me that these guys are work horses as opposed to exciting players...............

I also disagree with posts that suggest we do not need aerial attack options.................I think it's an absolute must get!!
Id class Uate, Walker and Tom as exciting players with great pace. As for kicking in the air is a must get. You cannot have both great start to the sets and a kicking target. Storm have a kicking target but not ztrong starts to the set which are way more vital. Sharks done have attacking kick targets yet they won a premiership on the back of strong starts to the sets from there wingers.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
No where, he has still been charging into the defence at full pace, scored 4 tries also. I see nothing wrong with his form, or the teams form before that dragons loss.
Didn't say anything wrong with his form ,he is running hard with ball in hand .But I haven't seen that explosive speed he showed in the 1st half of season.I wouldn't be surprised if he has a niggling injury which has caused him to change things up a bit.

This young fella is the fastest in the squad and when given the opportunity shines. I feel like if he were given a crack he'd add some xfactor.

But overall backline is pretty well balanced. always could be improved. but i must say Aku has really improved under the highball. I don't hold my breath anymore lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16