SOO, Jake, DCE, general discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
While I do agree and have been advocating for that, the question posed to me tonight was ... who plays lock in 2023 when Foz is gone and Schuster is the 5/8?? Does that mean a move back there for Jake? Or does someone else fill the role??

Just thinking out loud here, if we happen to have Fainu back, maybe Froggy to lock?

Either way though, lets face it ... Des will not move Jake from lock unless absolutely necessary.
Probably worth a thought of Jake to prop, fainu to 9, Froggy to the halves and the Schu to 13.

TBH I thought that tonight's NSW team is more like what I thought their Game 1 team should have looked like and I was honestly surprised when Wighton and Staggs were named as the centres. I thought Fittler would have gone like tonight, with Burton and Crichton going back to last years Panthers premiership combo (and wasn't it on show tonight.....almost like Burton was still at Penrith).

Billy Slater and his brains trust will have to have a re-think after tonight.
I would have Wighton in there in place of Crichton who looked too soft for origin.

Jake is already playing a fair bit of time as a prop when Walker does his usual stint as the 13 so no big deal starting there and having big minutes there . , Short term and longer term however with both Walker and Foz leaving , hard to say what the best alternatives can be then . Naturally just have to have or try to have the best fit for various and especially key positions but just don 't think that the Shu is best suited to a 13 or 6 role now or going forward . Going to be restricted a bit with his attacking skills and ability in a middle 13 role and not sold he would be the best 6 option especially in combination with D C E . Edge forward as others have suggested in the Wade Graham mould just seems to have the most merit . Lawton or Froggy as the 13 , just can 't see it happening . Latu Fainu no doubt still a bit to go for him to be ready as a half ,. Just so top heavy with props at the moment , A modern day 13 has to have a reasonable level as a ball player and not many options in the over all squad at present . Not much choice to probably best go with Jake at 13 and Walker sub . Foz at 6 and the Shu in the starting back row for the remainder of the season , next season an entirely different ball game so to speak . Shame that good potential players like Bullemor and Burbo could not be easily converted to a capable 13 role like say a Yeo , just have to get through this season with the best available combinations and see what can be done then .

6. Foz
7. DCE
13. Schuster

8. Jake
You’ve finally won me over @Ryan. Even if Jake pumps out half his numbers from last night, Des has to bite the bullet. Shoe can’t be coming off the bench. His game (and match fitness) dictates that he needs to be pumping out 70-80 minute games for the rest of the season.

Just wanna say…. Farrkkk you Freddy. You made a moronic decision to leave Jake out of game 1. Now the world sees your foibles.
He should have taken Jake off when the game was comfortably over considering we play the storm on Thursday.

Jake is worth every cent he gets from us, when you need a player to dig deep he is the first player that i think of. He’s all heart

He should have taken Jake off when the game was comfortably over considering we play the storm on Thursday.
Lol. Fittler probably wanted to leave Jake out there to enjoy what was a great win and triumphant return to the Blues team.
Slater on the other hand might have been thinking ahead keeping Papalii back in order to unleash him for a massive assault in Brisbane in the decider.
(Or maybe I'm reading too much into it ) :)

Jake is worth every cent he gets from us, when you need a player to dig deep he is the first player that i think of. He’s all heart
Love Jake. Plays with exact same passion for Manly - just used slightly differently. Jake and Oshay would match up well against all other starting props.

Also gotta say Api made a huge difference (Api, Jake and Angus tightened our middle defensive over game 1) and having the 2 9s helped NSW go forward and ruck speed out of sight, starting Murray was also right, we played all over Qld off the back of that, the extra possession also very helpful.
It’s pretty crystal clear you are going to need to field 2 9’s to be competitive, hope Des is not only seeing it, but working on a solution for us.

Last edited:
Latrine will be back for game 3 too.

I'd suggest both centres from last night will be gone, but not through any fault of their own.

Last edited:
Also gotta say Api made a huge difference (Api, Jake and Angus tightened our middle defensive over game 1) and having the 2 9s helped NSW go forward and ruck speed out of sight, starting Murray was also right, we played all over Qld of the back of that, the extra possession also very helpful.
It’s pretty crystal clear you are going to need to field 2 9’s to be competitive, hope Des is not only seeing it, but working on a solution for us.
Stung a little bit from a Manly perspective seeing Api playing so well at the premier level. Given the salary cap pressures I had no problem with the decision at the time to focus on Fainu over Api.

But to say it hasn't worked out well is an understatement.

Stung a little bit from a Manly perspective seeing Api playing so well at the premier level. Given the salary cap pressures I had no problem with the decision at the time to focus on Fainu over Api.

But to say it hasn't worked out well is an understatement.
The funniest thing is people on this forum wanted Parcell to play/be released instead of Api. It was obvious that Koroisau was a better 9, but people just want highlight reels.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2