Sons Outdoing Their Fathers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
We are in the middle of a sixteen days hiatus between Sea Eagles games. Thus, I thought to post this trivia. I would like to create a team of players who have had more successful NRL careers than their fathers. A requirement is that the father played first grade in the NRL or its earlier Sydney based variants - not in Brisbane or regional comps. Also, the father needs to be biological, not a stepfather, uncle, grandfather etc.

Can you complete or improve the following team? Maybe a full 17 man team can be compiled?

1. Brett Mullins (Bill Mullins, Easts)
2. Brett Morris (Steve Morris, St George)
3. Josh Morris (Steve Morris, St George)
4. Terry Hill (Allan Hill, Newtown)
5. Adam MacDougall (Gil MacDougall, Wests)
6. Jarryd Hayne (Manoa Thompson, Souths)
7. Nathan Cleary (Ivan Cleary, Manly)
8. Ian Thomson (Jim Thomson, Balmain)
9. Nathan Peats (Geordi Peats, Souths)*
10. Phil Daley (Doug Daley, Manly)
11. Daniel Gartner (Clive Gartner, Canterbury)
12. Craig Fitzgibbon (Alan Fitzgibbon, Balmain)
13. Luke Ricketson (Doug Ricketson, Easts)

14. Jarrod Mullen (Steve Mullen, Canterbury)*
15. Ryan Hoffman (Jay Hoffman, Canberra)*
16. Isaah Yeo (Justin Yeo, Balmain)
17. Ryan Matterson (Paul Matterson, Easts)

There was a Jack Dunford who played for Manly. If he is Matt's father, then Matt could be slotted into the above team as hooker.

David Furner could possibly be included in the team. His father, Don, didn't play in the Sydney based comp, but represented the Kangaroos from QLD.

With some father-son duos, it could be debated who had the better career, e.g. John or Martin Lang, John or Will Hopoate, Harry or Don McKinnon, Shane or Kyle Flanagan and so on.

We are probably not aware of some father-son duos from other clubs.

*sourced from NRL DNA: Famous father and son duos

Last edited:
Here you go..
Thank you - from that list, I can now complete a thirteen with Nathan Peats & Ryan Hoffman, plus Jarrod Mullen on the bench.

There are numerous sons of former players who make it to first grade, e.g. at present Billy Walters, Tommy Talau, Cooper Johns and so on, but there are not many who have better careers than their fathers.

Last edited:
Very close friends with the McDougall's who were neighbours back in the day.
Was great mates with Adam and his dad Gill would come over often on weekends for a beer or 10 and had the best funniest stories ever.
Adam played every level, but Gill in his day was rated up with some of the greats including taking on Gasnier and our own Bozo and was right up with these blokes.
He was built like a tank when he was 50 odd, still training every day including his punching bag that woke me up most mornings.
As a Footy player both done great things, but Adam with his "Man Shake" is the big Winner and though many have bad memories of Adam in a Newcastle jersey, was 1 of my best mates early 90's, before he moved to play in the Newcastle comp with ex Manly player Paul Shaw.
The most highly rated MacDougall of the 4 boys was actually Luke, who just didn't kick on, but had massive ability.

Very close friends with the McDougall's who were neighbours back in the day.
Was great mates with Adam and his dad Gill would come over often on weekends for a beer or 10 and had the best funniest stories ever.
Adam played every level, but Gill in his day was rated up with some of the greats including taking on Gasnier and our own Bozo and was right up with these blokes.
He was built like a tank when he was 50 odd, still training every day including his punching bag that woke me up most mornings.
As a Footy player both done great things, but Adam with his "Man Shake" is the big Winner and though many have bad memories of Adam in a Newcastle jersey, was 1 of my best mates early 90's, before he moved to play in the Newcastle comp with ex Manly player Paul Shaw.
The most highly rated MacDougall of the 4 boys was actually Luke, who just didn't kick on, but had massive ability.
Didn’t Mad Dog just sell part of Man Shake for $50m.

Here you go.. to quote Brandon Smith I am a " cheating bastard"

Brandon may outshine his dad Cam one day. It is very sweet that they got to play together, probably why cam kept playing for so long.

Interesting - at present, most clubs have at least one NRL player whose father also played NRL or equivalent.

Broncos: Billy Walters (Kevin Walters)
Bulldogs: Kyle Flanagan (Shane Flanagan)
Cowboys:
Dragons:
Eels:
Knights: Jack Johns (Matt Johns)
Panthers: Nathan Cleary (Ivan Cleary)
Rabbitohs: Jed Cartwright (John Cartwright)
Raiders: Albert Hopoate (John Hopoate)
Roosters: Sam Walker (Ben Walker)
Sea Eagles: Morgan Boyle (David Boyle)
Sharks: Will Kennedy (William 'Bubba' Kennedy)
Storm: Cooper Johns (Matt Johns)
Tigers: Jackson Hastings (Kevin Hastings)
Titans: Jayden Campbell (Preston Campbell)
Warriors: Bayley Sironen (Paul Sironen)

Note: Tristan Sailor, who formerly played NRL with the Dragons, now plays for the Broncos feeder club.

Last edited:
Interesting - at present, most clubs have at least one NRL player whose father also played NRL or equivalent.

Broncos: Billy Walters (Kevin Walters)
Bulldogs: Kyle Flanagan (Shane Flanagan)
Cowboys:
Dragons:
Eels:
Knights: Jack Johns (Matt Johns)
Panthers: Nathan Cleary (Ivan Cleary)
Rabbitohs: Jed Cartwright (John Cartwright)
Raiders: Albert Hopoate (John Hopoate)
Roosters: Sam Walker (Ben Walker)
Sea Eagles: Morgan Boyle (David Boyle)
Sharks: Will Kennedy (William 'Bubba' Kennedy)
Storm: Cooper Johns (Matt Johns)
Tigers: Jackson Hastings (Kevin Hastings)
Titans: Jayden Campbell (Preston Campbell)
Warriors: Bayley Sironen (Curtis Sironen)

Note: Tristan Sailor, who formerly played NRL with the Dragons, now plays for the Broncos feeder club.

So no one at the eels know who their father is? Sounds about right.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4