[Resurrected] So we are not getting Maguire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Didn't watch the game, wish I would of though, Madge would of been throwing the plastic water bottles around the coaches box, nothing like a cold shower to cool off...lol.

What’s the Buzz: The day Michael Maguire rejected Manly job​

Michael Maguire could have been coaching the Manly Sea Eagles in the finals series instead of fighting to save his career at the Wests Tigers.
We all make bad choices in life but, in hindsight, this one was a shocker.

Rewind to 2018 and Madge was approached by Manly owner and chairman Scott Penn to become head coach when Trent Barrett spat the dummy and infamously quit over his “backyard furniture”. On November 5, 2018, I wrote the story about Maguire rejecting the job.

The 2021 NRL Telstra Finals Series are here and everything matters. Watch Live & Ad-Break Free on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free >

“I have informed the Sea Eagles that I’ve declined the opportunity to coach the club,” Maguire told me. “But I’d prefer not to go into the reasons why.”

Privately, he had been frightened off by Barrett’s comments about the poor high-performance and training facilities at Narrabeen and the fact Manly finished 15th that year. Somehow, he couldn’t recognise what was there in the Brookvale backyard.

This is despite the fact they had Jake and Tom Trbojevic, Daly Cherry-Evans, Marty Taupau, Addin Fonua-Blake, Api Koroisau and a host of outstanding youngsters.

Instead, Maguire went off to coach the Kiwis in a Test series against the Kangaroos and later went for the Wests Tigers job when Ivan Cleary returned to Penrith.

The rest is history. Manly has gone on to become a premiership powerhouse and Wests Tigers have had another shocker of a year.

Penn confirmed he had met Maguire over coffee in 2018 but couldn’t convince him to take on the job. Even Fox Sports commentator James Hooper said on NRL360 at the time: “The Sea Eagles only have one man in mind … they are targeting Michael Maguire as the best fit to replace Trent Barrett.”

It wasn’t until months later that the Sea Eagles turned to Dessie Hasler to make his comeback. The fact Maguire didn’t have the vision to see the enormous potential at Manly is a concern. If he couldn’t work it out three years ago, how is he going to fix the Wests Tigers?

What’s the Buzz: The day Michael Maguire rejected Manly job​

Michael Maguire could have been coaching the Manly Sea Eagles in the finals series instead of fighting to save his career at the Wests Tigers.
We all make bad choices in life but, in hindsight, this one was a shocker.

Rewind to 2018 and Madge was approached by Manly owner and chairman Scott Penn to become head coach when Trent Barrett spat the dummy and infamously quit over his “backyard furniture”. On November 5, 2018, I wrote the story about Maguire rejecting the job.

The 2021 NRL Telstra Finals Series are here and everything matters. Watch Live & Ad-Break Free on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free >

“I have informed the Sea Eagles that I’ve declined the opportunity to coach the club,” Maguire told me. “But I’d prefer not to go into the reasons why.”

Privately, he had been frightened off by Barrett’s comments about the poor high-performance and training facilities at Narrabeen and the fact Manly finished 15th that year. Somehow, he couldn’t recognise what was there in the Brookvale backyard.

This is despite the fact they had Jake and Tom Trbojevic, Daly Cherry-Evans, Marty Taupau, Addin Fonua-Blake, Api Koroisau and a host of outstanding youngsters.

Instead, Maguire went off to coach the Kiwis in a Test series against the Kangaroos and later went for the Wests Tigers job when Ivan Cleary returned to Penrith.

The rest is history. Manly has gone on to become a premiership powerhouse and Wests Tigers have had another shocker of a year.

Penn confirmed he had met Maguire over coffee in 2018 but couldn’t convince him to take on the job. Even Fox Sports commentator James Hooper said on NRL360 at the time: “The Sea Eagles only have one man in mind … they are targeting Michael Maguire as the best fit to replace Trent Barrett.”

It wasn’t until months later that the Sea Eagles turned to Dessie Hasler to make his comeback. The fact Maguire didn’t have the vision to see the enormous potential at Manly is a concern. If he couldn’t work it out three years ago, how is he going to fix the Wests Tigers?
I can see Madge after being punted from the Tigers in a rocking chair watching Tommy Turbo highlights on TV with dribble running from his mouth, mumbling incoherent words to himself....if only !!

Goes to show bad the place was under Barrett that another coach would choose the Tigers opportunity over us. We play finals the following season and Tigers don't. Here we are again, playing finals as Mcguire finishes the year with 38-0 flogging at the hands of the wooden spooners lol!

I can see Madge after being punted from the Tigers in a rocking chair watching Tommy Turbo highlights on TV with dribble running from his mouth, mumbling incoherent words to himself....if only !!
And within four years of 2018, Brookvale will have a CoE to compete with the best training facilities out there.

I suspect that Maguire would have run into his own problems at Brookvale however. Being an outsider and bringing fellow support staff outsiders in, ultimately didn’t work under the Fulton/Barrett grand plan. So why would it work with Maguire?

Plus you probably just go back to Year 0 on the succession front when he ultimately leaves. With Des, we once again have a succession plan developing.

Last edited:
Every second mumbled incoherent word would start with the letter F.
angry ozzy osbourne GIF by History UK

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4