So Jealous Of my team the Panthers!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You do know a lot of zero tackle is written by locals who don't often hide their favorite colours???
Which club has (by far) the most local juniors playing in their teams? It's Penrith, Penrith, and Penrith. Nothing to do with who wrote the article. I can easily find many more articles stating this fact. In any case, I just wish Manly would start getting some toughness and pride back in the place. We are a rabble at present.

This is from the poster Bearfax, is he a secret Panthers fan as well?

"Example. Penirth's side this weekend has only four players of the 17 in the first grade side that have played elsewhere. 13 came through the Penrith junior ranks and most from the western region. Yes there are island boys but most were kids raised in the Sydney west."

Beware the Bear. His porridge is always too hot.

What a club! They are just so damn tough and resilient. The only true bred not bought footy club in the NRL. They have played in the last three grand finals, and these are the players who were in the seventeen or reserves list for those games they have lost over those three seasons.
Josh Mansour
Tyrone May
James Tamou
Api Koroisau
Villiame Kikau
Brent Naden
Kurt Capewell
Dean Share
Matt Burton
Paul Momirovski
Charlie Staines
Sean O'Sullivan
Stephen Crichton
Spencer Leniu

They have also lost
Daine Laurie
Jermaine Hopgood
Waqa Blake
Reagan Campbell Gillard

There's more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Man, I wish we had some of that ingrained toughness throughout our side. These guys never get flogged, any opposition win is hard earned.
Can't think of many surfers Penrith has produced!

whats ridiculous about fact?
Well for start, Smith was suspended when we beat the Storm in 08. So yeah, there's that.

And there are sides in the current completion with these names Tedesco, Manu, Hargreaves, Mitchell, Hughes, Munster etc etc. Quality players are never a rarity in the NRL.

Last edited:
You can just support the Panthers then you won't be jealous of them - problem solved.

You're welcome.
Nah mate, I've been a Manly supporter for over forty years, but thanks for the wisdom. I hear they have a few good Aussie rules teams up in the Alice. Perhaps you could check one of them out when all the Tom foolery settles down?

Which club has (by far) the most local juniors playing in their teams? It's Penrith, Penrith, and Penrith. Nothing to do with who wrote the article. I can easily find many more articles stating this fact. In any case, I just wish Manly would start getting some toughness and pride back in the place. We are a rabble at present.
which team has probably produced more superstar juniors but hasn't been able to keep them? tigers, tigers, tigers.
Penrith has had a golden generation sure but that team will be even further split up over years to come.
you do know it's not magic that gives Penrith this current advantage. simple socio-economic factors and a very large Pacifika population help. just like the Roosters having to buy premierships due to no local junior talent Penrith are simply lucky with the stock they have.

not many Kids on the northern beaches see the NRL as their only chance making it where as in poorer areas all the kids are almost pushed to be a sports star.

Well for start, Smith was suspended when we beat the Storm in 08. So yeah, there's that.

And there are sides in the current completion with these names Tedesco, Manu, Hargreaves, Mitchell, Hughes, Munster etc etc. Quality players are never a rarity in the NRL.
not all in the one side at the same time.

which team has probably produced more superstar juniors but hasn't been able to keep them? tigers, tigers, tigers.
Penrith has had a golden generation sure but that team will be even further split up over years to come.
you do know it's not magic that gives Penrith this current advantage. simple socio-economic factors and a very large Pacifika population help. just like the Roosters having to buy premierships due to no local junior talent Penrith are simply lucky with the stock they have.

not many Kids on the northern beaches see the NRL as their only chance making it where as in poorer areas all the kids are almost pushed to be a sports star.
Would you be so kind as to define what you regard as a poorer area?

not all in the one side at the same time.
Again I remind you that Smith didn't play in 08. Have you seen the Roosters squad? It is ridiculous. They have SOO players running around in NSW Cup. We have DCE, Turbo, and Jake, and we're crap. Why didn't Melbourne play in three GF's and win two then? By your own logic, no other team has had such unbeatable players all lining up at the same time. Your argument has more holes in it than the Swiss cheese my wife is currently eating.

If Penrith win again this year, they will rightly be crowned the greatest team of the modern era.
I think they'll be respected and well represented in terms of pure results / achievements.

But equally I think the comp as a whole doesn't have as many true heavyweights like it did over that 2006-2014 window. Particularly around 2011-14; Storm w/ the big 3 and robot forwards, Roosters with brick wall defence, Souths w/ GI, reynolds + Burgess on a mission, Bulldogs emerging with a revolutionary style of play (at the time), Manly's champion team looking for one more premiership, Thurston's cowboys building up to their 2015 win... So many genuine legends of the game all coming into their best years around the same time. These teams had so much structure, class and defencive resilience in the big games. You knew one of the top 4 teams would win the comp, but i was too hard to write any of them off when finals arrived.

There's a few top players going around today, but I reckon most teams have been hibernating for a while now and things will get more competitive over the next few seasons.

Post 2014, most of the heavyweights from those earlier years went into rebuilding periods. In 2017 it felt like the Storm were the only one left standing. It was lonely at the top for them that year. Roosters went into desperation mode to get back up to that level and bought peak Tedesco and Cronk, before proceeding to wipe the floor clean with most teams over 2018-2019.

Even though the storm went on to win in 2020, I thought they weren't the same side anymore (but still clinical). Infact, since 2019 (2017 for storm), both the Storm and Roosters have gradually gone down a few pegs year on year.

It was then that Penrith's side - after years of mediocrity - had finally emerged. Other competitors weren't really there yet in terms of their squad, ie. Souths and Eels.

While they can be clinical at times it's impossible to ignore how perfect the timing has been for the Panthers. Not only was there a general lack of contenders, but the game had some drastic changes w/ the six-again rule that was optimised for a fast young side with mobile forwards like them.

They are a great side but I think they get overwhelmed / outclassed by a fair few of the champion teams coinciding with our golden period. Even just looking post 2010; 2011 Manly, 2012 Storm, 2013 Roosters, 2014 Rabbitohs, 2017 Storm, 2018-2019 Roosters all had the teams to suffocate penrith, and the experience in those backlines / spines / forward packs would've been evident imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again I remind you that Smith didn't play in 08. Have you seen the Roosters squad? It is ridiculous. They have SOO players running around in NSW Cup. We have DCE, Turbo, and Jake, and we're crap. Why didn't Melbourne play in three GF's and win two then? By your own logic, no other team has had such unbeatable players all lining up at the same time. Your argument has more holes in it than the Swiss cheese my wife is currently eating.
You do you buddy. Penrith are good but so were we. So we're Melbourne. So were Parramatta of the 80's. Every club will rise and then fall. What I do know is Penrith hasn't had to beat a generational side in the past 3 years.
We had Melbourne during our run.

Mick fanning. Only our best
Mick was born in Penrith but didn't start surfing until his family moved to Coolongatta.
It highlights my point; people are products of their environment.
Most kids growing up in the Sea Eagles' feeder suburbs of the Northern Beaches try surfing. As anybody who has surfed will attest, it is an addictive pastime that usurps other sports such as football, cricket, tennis etc. Thus, many of the Northern Beaches' most talented sportspeople are surfers.
Conversely, those who grow up away from the coast -- such as Sydney's west -- play sports such as RL, giving the region a much larger pool of junior talent.
That's why a RL club such as Manly has such a need to recruit from outside its surrounding suburbs.
Anybody who comes on this Forum to boast about local talent knows nothing about demography and is ill-informed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7