SIRO TO 5/8?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Once upon a time, maybe. But with so many other options (Croker, Cust, Schuster) available, I say leave Siro where he is in the back row and don't mess with the team dynamic. He may have started as a 5/8 when he came into first grade with the Tigpies, but he's grown into one of the best back rowers in the comp. To draw a comparison, he's a faster and a lot more skilled version of his old man.

And his old man spent the majority of his career in the back row.

Des likes his best 17
If waddell is back, our side is probably stronger with he and jetski than cust and jetski or schuster or .....

Ive never seen any of these young guys play so i have no idea if schuster, hoppa, or any other junior could step up, tackle , or anything to be honest.

Big call on last years form though

It can get confusing on here. How many of those people calling for schuster have seen him play 5 or 6 games .there are some great informed posters but, there is a lot of Tom Wright for president going on.

I’m telling you Matt Burton from the Panthers is worth a sniff. Had been playing good footy. He’s obviously rooted one of Nathans tik-tok girls. Didn’t get a second of game time on the weekend. I don’t know how long he’s contracted for, because that has become meaningless.
Only 20 yrs old.
Here‘s a bit of biography on the lad.

Hailing from Dubbo, Burton enjoyed a spectacular 2019 season after starting the year in the Panthers Jersey Flegg squad. He made his senior debut in the Canterbury Cup, later followed by a memorable NRL debut alongside Stephen Crichton and Spencer Leniu in a 26-20 upset win against Cronulla Sharks. Burton also received a late call-up for NSW in the U20s State of Origin and scored two tries in a man-of-the-match performance
He is a Des style player too. Swap him for Walker

Des likes his best 17
If waddell is back, our side is probably stronger with he and jetski than cust and jetski or schuster or .....

Ive never seen any of these young guys play so i have no idea if schuster, hoppa, or any other junior could step up, tackle , or anything to be honest.

Big call on last years form though

It can get confusing on here. How many of those people calling for schuster have seen him play 5 or 6 games .there are some great informed posters but, there is a lot of Tom Wright for president going on.
I think you make a strong point but I gotta say the Tom Wright has killed it at the Brumbies since he got there... theres even talk about the Wallabies now...
[/URL]

I think you make a strong point but I gotta say the Tom Wright has killed it at the Brumbies since he got there... theres even talk about the Wallabies now...
[/URL]

Yep Frank. Tom Wright had the talent for sure. He just didnt have a coach who used him effectively and gave him a chance to develop his skills and confidence. Another loss. Its why I get so concerned about how Schuster and Hoppa are not even appearing in the reserves for games. We cant afford to lose outstanding attacking players. Think Thurston at Canterbury, Ponga at North Queensland, Tedesco at Wests. Really dumb inaction by those respective clubs. There are so few true game breakers. Potentially we could have three or four. Defence is an essential, but so is getting over that try line. The Roosters and Storm wouldn't waste talent sitting on the side lines.

Yep Frank. Tom Wright had the talent for sure. He just didnt have a coach who used him effectively and gave him a chance to develop his skills and confidence. Another loss. Its why I get so concerned about how Schuster and Hoppa are not even appearing in the reserves for games. We cant afford to lose outstanding attacking players. Think Thurston at Canterbury, Ponga at North Queensland, Tedesco at Wests. Really dumb inaction by those respective clubs. There are so few true game breakers. Potentially we could have three or four. Defence is an essential, but so is getting over that try line. The Roosters and Storm wouldn't waste talent sitting on the side lines.
Roosters and storm dont have to worry about it Bear... they just let other teams develop them and then buy them...
I havent seen Schuster play 80min so I honestly dont know but I was always a fan of TW from watching him in u-20s - however we were going like busted at the time so it was a case of "why not?" for me then... I must say that TW struggled in the first couple of 1st grade games he played with us though, especially towards the end of games imo so I am concerned about the lack of match fitness our reserves have atm PLUS we are 4 from 6 (should be 5/6) and the Storm showed what happens when our intensity drops at the back end of games...

Roosters and storm dont have to worry about it Bear... they just let other teams develop them and then buy them...
I havent seen Schuster play 80min so I honestly dont know but I was always a fan of TW from watching him in u-20s - however we were going like busted at the time so it was a case of "why not?" for me then... I must say that TW struggled in the first couple of 1st grade games he played with us though, especially towards the end of games imo so I am concerned about the lack of match fitness our reserves have atm PLUS we are 4 from 6 (should be 5/6) and the Storm showed what happens when our intensity drops at the back end of games...

Yes Frank, Tom Wright struggled a little in first grade, but most players do when they first start. But he also starred in one of those games. I recall Peter Sterling having some shockers when he first came to first grade. Ponga didnt set the game alight when he first started in firsts up in North Queensland. Cliff Lyons took a couple of years to reach his brilliance and was let go by Norths. But they have to play first grade to get accustomed to the next level up. Stay fearful of them not being ready and as with other top players on the rise, they look elsewhere. Young players are usually impatient to get into the top grade and earn the big bucks, and its reported Hoppa and Schuster have both been offered big bucks elsewhere, with almost immediate first grade promotion. They obviously want to stay at Manly, but they also want to play. They wont wait indefinitely.

As for the Roosters and Storm, certainly they buy already on the rise first graders but they also grab young players yet to play first grade and get them in the top grade. Think another Manly let go, JWH.

Yes Frank, Tom Wright struggled a little in first grade, but most players do when they first start. But he also starred in one of those games. I recall Peter Sterling having some shockers when he first came to first grade. Ponga didnt set the game alight when he first started in firsts up in North Queensland. Cliff Lyons took a couple of years to reach his brilliance and was let go by Norths. But they have to play first grade to get accustomed to the next level up. Stay fearful of them not being ready and as with other top players on the rise, they look elsewhere. Young players are usually impatient to get into the top grade and earn the big bucks, and its reported Hoppa and Schuster have both been offered big bucks elsewhere, with almost immediate first grade promotion. They obviously want to stay at Manly, but they also want to play. They wont wait indefinitely.

As for the Roosters and Storm, certainly they buy already on the rise first graders but they also grab young players yet to play first grade and get them in the top grade. Think another Manly let go, JWH.
For every JWH there are 3 Liam Knights or Jamil Hopoates :)
I know those guys are going decent now but they have never hit the heights of their lower grade reputations (and have burnt a few clubs along the way)...
I agree they need their chance but I would prefer it happens when they have residual fitness from reserves and preferably not at a critical point where we are trying to hang onto the top 4 and have injuries that are going to put an unfair spotlight on them...

I would leave Sirro where he is. Our right edge is strong even without Suli and I would bring in Croker to 5/8 and put Schuster on the bench and that gives the team flexibility in the halves, and backrow.
I am not convinced about Levi for 80 min... he played well last weekend but also gave away a couple of restarts because he was having a rest during the tackle...

Can @Dan please develop a “cuthbo to the wing” emoji? To help us respond to suggestions for players to be selected in surprising positions.

I suggest a rotund figure with a 5 jersey on.
I love the idea but I'm not sure this is THAT left field Shoe1... Sirro has experience there (unlike Walkz or even Schubert at 9)... however happy to stand corrected if either of those DID/DO have experience in those positions...

I love the idea but I'm not sure this is THAT left field Shoe1... Sirro has experience there (unlike Walkz or even Schubert at 9)... however happy to stand corrected if either of those DID/DO have experience in those positions...
true I suppose he has played there before, but humour is always the objective

For every JWH there are 3 Liam Knights or Jamil Hopoates :)
I know those guys are going decent now but they have never hit the heights of their lower grade reputations (and have burnt a few clubs along the way)...
I agree they need their chance but I would prefer it happens when they have residual fitness from reserves and preferably not at a critical point where we are trying to hang onto the top 4 and have injuries that are going to put an unfair spotlight on them...

Jamil's career was interrupted by a lengthy gaol term and banning from the game. We have no idea how he would have performed had he been brought through the ranks earlier. But two years out of the game has an impact as demonstrated with his brother, who never again reached the heights reached at Manly. Knight was a promising forward, but not outstanding in the manner Hoppa and Schuster. Schuster was identified as the top player over several years in the competitions he played in. That's equal to if not better than Ponga's junior history. And Hoppa's equal star player in the junior rep sides, Brad Best, is now starring for Newcastle first grade. He also had an extensive time out with injury.

But the issue is, unless you test them at the higher level, they wont develop further, and you wont know what you've got. Would you have left Toovey in reserves, or Fulton, Eadie, Phil Blake, Johnny Gibbs, even more recently Funa, who has barely played a match for two years in the Reggies? The first five were in firsts before they were 20 years old.

They must be given a chance to show their wares, and sense what is needed at first grade level. Throw them in at the deep end and see if they can swim. If they are not ready, send them back down for a while. But dont hang about procrastinating as to whether they are ready. You cant know until they've played at that level. I not suggesting a permanent position immediately. I'm suggesting test them out, just as Brett Stewart was tested out in 2003 when barely 18 years old. Didnt hurt him.

Not sure about all the names mentioned but I can tell you that there is a stark difference between where we are as a club now and where the NE were in 2003 when they decided to blood a young Snake... right now our kids aren't playing reserves, we are 4/6 and key players are out - it is set up for them to fail imo and they are going to cop unfair criticism if they do...

And yeah, going to jail has an impact on your job prospects lol... wouldn't have hurt his strength conditioning tho :)

@Bearfax is right except for the last sentence. Brett Stewart was put in 1st grade too early at 18, and needed a new shoulder after being injured in game 1.

He was pretty slight in those days, yet to fill out.

I think hoppa and schuster are big enough

@Bearfax is right except for the last sentence. Brett Stewart was put in 1st grade too early at 18, and needed a new shoulder after being injured in game 1.

He was pretty slight in those days, yet to fill out.

I think hoppa and schuster are big enough
Yeah Hoppas shoulders will be fine, however his knees...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10