Sharks trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I will admit that I am surprised that Killer, Snake and Skivy aren't playing. I thought they might have at least got a run in one half or quarter or whatever, but I guess TB isn't willing to risk them so early for what is just a trial game. Better to see what the NSW Cup and U/20 players can do than risk losing your guns to injury.

TB has already said that he's given Tommy the week off after the Nines. Probably more a precaution on his ankle than anything. If this was a premiership game he'd be out there.

Jake won't play in the trials apparently because of the concussion.

Ferris we know is out with injury.

Marty played last night so not surprised he's not playing today.

Kinda surprised to see that DCE and Walker aren't playing in the halves as I'd have thought TB would want to give them game time to gel together as a combination. But like with Killer, Snake and Skivy I don't think he wants to risk them just yet.

I wasnt being critical Wombat. I was merely pointing out a fact and that obviously Barrett is being careful with his primary troops.
Cool mate nothing against anybody with constructive comments or a positive opinion-it's the constant rubbish ing of the second tier younger players and pot shots at Barrett. After all it's a Manly forum-just thought maybe some of the narks might pull their head in.
Williame did some great cover tackles in the 9's and carried the ball solidly. He may have been ordinary first season, but I think we should be supporting him. Barrett has done nothing wrong, and seems very professional. It's gonna be a great year ;)

Cool mate nothing against anybody with constructive comments or a positive opinion-it's the constant rubbish ing of the second tier younger players and pot shots at Barrett. After all it's a Manly forum-just thought maybe some of the narks might pull their head in.
Williams did some great cover tackles in the 9's and carried the ball solidly. He may have been ordinary first season, but I think we should be supporting him. Barrett has done nothing wrong, and seems very professional. It's gonna be a great year ;)
Brayden William was a shocker last season and in the 9s he looked a more confident and competent player . If Barrett can have the same affect on all of our players then we are in for a big season

Apparently all the players are pretty happy with Barrett & Co ?
How long until kick off anyways ,Im in Canada..?

Apparently all the players are pretty happy with Barrett & Co ?
How long until kick off anyways ,Im in Canada..?
GE's put you up I hope! God knows he's always talking about the Canadian hospitality....or was that hockey?....whatever.....good luck to you. You definitely wouldn't be sweltering in 34c heat!

GE's put you up I hope! God knows he's always talking about the Canadian hospitality....or was that hockey?....whatever.....good luck to you. You definitely wouldn't be sweltering in 34c heat!
You've got another two and a half hours from now.

John Schuster was one of the Kiwi union players who crossed over to league in the late 80's, early 90's. From memory there was also Matthew Ridge (Manly), John Gallagher (Leeds), Frano Botica (Wigan) Kurt Sherlock (Easts), Daryl Halligan (Norths) and Eion Crosson (Souffs).

All of them other than Gallagher were pretty good goal kickers I believe (of course we all know how good Ridge, Halligan and Botica were with the boot).

If Peter is as good as his uncle was (ok, John wasn't great but he wasn't bad either)....he'll do ok and that's a bonus for us.
Apart from Ridge, all those Kiwi union players were flops, and they were far bigger names than Ridge, sure Halligan had a long career, but it was only his goal kicking that kept him in teams.

Halligan was better than most gave him credit for. Sure for a winger he was slower than Peta Hiku (and that's saying something, though I did see him run down Willie Carne at the SFS once), and yes I would say his goal kicking was a lot of what kept him in first grade. But he wasn't a bad defender, knew how to score when the opportunity arose and he did play 20 tests for NZ. Considering that with Ridge they didn't need another goal kicker, and with other Kiwi wingers like Tony Iro, Jason Williams, Sean Hoppe and Richie Blackmore....that's not a bad effort to play that many tests.

Gallagher, the 1989 International Rugby Player of the Year and the main reason Ridge signed with Manly (he thought it would be years before he got a chance at being the AB's FB), proved to be a flop in league. Reportedly the fastest player in the squad when he joined Leeds, his biggest claim to rugby league fame was scoring a try against the 1990 Kangaroos at Headingley. Though in the same game Paul Sironen twice ran over him on his way to scoring.

Frano Botica is a legend at Wigan with his point scoring. Should have played more than 7 games for the Kiwis. He only ever seemed to be picked when Ridge was out injured (in the 1991 series against Australia he played FB after a compensation dispute between the NZRL and some Winfield Cup clubs, including Manly, ruled out Ridge who would have been selected on form).

Kurt Sherlock and John Schuster had solid, if unspectacular rugby league careers. Eion Crossan was probably the biggest flop of the lot. Like Ridge, Halligan and Botica he could kick goals until the cows came home, but in general play.....well, if he couldn't kick goals he was strictly reserve grade level.

Last edited:
I will admit that I am surprised that Killer, Snake and Skivy aren't playing. I thought they might have at least got a run in one half or quarter or whatever, but I guess TB isn't willing to risk them so early for what is just a trial game. Better to see what the NSW Cup and U/20 players can do than risk losing your guns to injury.

I think you've answered your 'surprise' yourself. Snake and Skivvi both told me yesterday they are fit and well (and Killer looked it), so you're right that its a case of taking no risks. Also ditto with Jake.
As for DCE, he's not playing as he's sick. Not sure about Walker but he looked fine - and I guess, after so many injuries last week, TB decided it wasn't worth taking any needless risks.
I understand they are all getting a run in the trial next week at some stage, so let's hope that's the case and, even more so, that we're injury free!

Down 6 tries to 4 after three quarters. If you keep dropping the ball you don't give yourself a chance.

there's more than one house in Canada!

That said....all welcome :)

If I was talking about Hockey....it'd be Canadian hostility....not hospitality!

Thanks for the link berks!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7