Shameful lack of tradition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I appreciate the frustration, Snake. I also pine for those days as a kid when I could watch and enjoy a simpler game (well, at least it seems so looking back with sentiment).

However, the modern world is about "marketing" and branding. How do you think presidents and prime ministers get elected in to positions of real power. If you think the public is not affected by these gestures and images then perhaps you should re-read the past 10 pages on here alone. There is a very real power struggle that permeates life. Marginalised people fight to feel a part of society. For some people out there, this is more than just a game. Until you (proverbial), or somebody close to you, suffers that degree of pain and exclusion, we should be vigilant and compassionate, in my opinion.
I get where you’re coming from but I don’t buy the intent behind the jumper for one second. It’s tokenism and it’s the NRL and clubs doing what they believe they ‘need’ to be doing for their brand. If anything, it’s exploitation not inclusion.

Won’t be long now and we’ll have a ‘ranga’ round that celebrates all the people with red hair and freckles that feel marginalised. All the clubs will don red jumpers and they’ll change the rules so any player from any team can pass the ball and score a try for the team they elect to award the points to.

I don't have anything against the gay community but I am sick of this tokenist society. This is just a rugby league game played by a rugby league club and has nothing to do with 'woke' or inclusivity or any other cause. Just play the ****ing game in a ****ing normal jersey and stop this pretentious 'do-gooder' crap. It's not about inclusivity at all...it's a marketing ploy.

If the gay community are sitting at home thinking geez I love that rainbow on the jersey, I feel included and respected, than **** me!
The thing is nobody gets harmed by using a platform to show solidarity with minorities or promote a cause.

Tokenism or not, if it does even one queer kid a favour watching their footy team run out in that jersey than it’s totally worth splashing a little rainbow on a shirt.

I appreciate the frustration, Snake. I also pine for those days as a kid when I could watch and enjoy a simpler game (well, at least it seems so looking back with sentiment).

However, the modern world is about "marketing" and branding. How do you think presidents and prime ministers get elected in to positions of real power. If you think the public is not affected by these gestures and images then perhaps you should re-read the past 10 pages on here alone. There is a very real power struggle that permeates life. Marginalised people fight to feel a part of society. For some people out there, this is more than just a game. Until you (proverbial), or somebody close to you, suffers that degree of pain and exclusion, we should be vigilant and compassionate, in my opinion.
Just placing my reply on page 3

The thing is nobody gets harmed by using a platform to show solidarity with minorities or promote a cause.

Tokenism or not, if it does even one queer kid a favour watching their footy team run out in that jersey than it’s a totally worth splashing a little rainbow on a shirt.
In theory yes, but what it’s actually done is shown those kids that (allegedly according to news reports) Christian T, Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab and co. don’t support their orientation. It’s not the platform.

The biggest problem with society today is this idea that we all have to think the same. That’s just my opinion though...

Last edited:
I don’t care either way on it, but I suppose they better have a Christian jersey next with crosses and Jebus stuff all over it…

If the heavily religious blokes don’t want to support it, they shouldn’t be forced too..

As long as they arnt on social media making hateful comments etc like Folau allegedly did, they are entitled to their beliefs

I get where you’re coming from but I don’t buy the intent behind the jumper for one second. It’s tokenism and it’s the NRL and clubs doing what they believe they ‘need’ to be doing for their brand. If anything, it’s exploitation not inclusion.

Won’t be long now and we’ll have a ‘ranga’ round that celebrates all the people with red hair and freckles that feel marginalised. All the clubs will don red jumpers and they’ll change the rules so any player from any team can pass the ball and score a try for the team they elect to award the points to.
Yeah, I do get that. I agree there is a lot of tokenism and it doesn't always sit easily with me. However, I think the potential good to come out of trying these things outweighs the downside, IMO. The conversation in this forum alone today could make a difference to some (on whatever side of the debate one sits on).

I don’t think I can say as a gay man how disappointed I am in the 7 players.

7 pines as a sponsor? No issue. PointsBet on the jersey which is a major sin? No issue. Nothing mentioned.

I’ve been a fan for 30 years. Been to all the grand finals. Though it all. The ups and the downs.

I am lost for words.

Rant over

So you would like people to respect who you are, and your choices and beliefs, but you wont respect who others are, and their choice and beliefs?

So you would like people to respect who you are, and your choices and beliefs, but you wont respect who others are, and their choice and beliefs?
Well put.
These players obviously have strong cultural and religious beliefs. Why can't they be respected.
Usman Khawaja was exempt from having to wear an alcohol sponsor's logo on his Australian cricket gear because of his beliefs. What is the difference?

If this was the Panthers half their team wouldn’t have played either, and numerous other teams with Pacifica players. This is a marketing f up and season over. Only way to solve it is not wear this jersey full stop.

I recall a Samoan workmatetelling me that it was a sign of good luck for the family if there is a girl born into the family. His family had four boys and the expectations were for the next to be a girl. And... it was a boy who the family dressed and treated as a girl for his/her/its (apologies for not getting that bit correct) life.
We all bend our own rules or commitments to suit. I have no problem with respecting and encouraging all walks of life. Quietly, it would be nice to leave the jersey alone.
It's true. They are called a fa'afafine. Generally the last boy will dress and be treated as a female, to cook and do work around the home (fale)

Well put.
These players obviously have strong cultural and religious beliefs. Why can't they be respected.
Usman Khawaja was exempt from having to wear an alcohol sponsor's logo on his Australian cricket gear because of his beliefs. What is the difference?
And l think this is the biggest issue with this stuff up.
For the powers that be to just assume that everyone will accept it is in itself a lack of respect and ignorance - two of the issues that are being highlighted.

Surely this would have been weeks, if not months in the planning with the NRL having to sign off on it.
So it's not just disrespectful but incompetent for it to have got this far and for no-one to think "let's canvas the playing group", especially as we have many players that openly show their faith.
Have they not learnt anything?
FMD!
In this world of inclusivity and consultants, isn't there someone in the NRL (or the club) that didn't think for one minute that this may not be everyone's cup of tea?

Could've been nipped in the bud, half the team wear normal jerseys and half the rainbow - none of us would care or wonder why.

And after the blow up today, how hard would it be for the NRL to allow us to have two slightly different jerseys, it's not like either would clash with the Chooks in their white away strip?

Now are the dissenting seven going to be vilified, frowned upon or whispered about for their beliefs, choices or lifestyles?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4