Sea Eagles V Storm Chat & news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: Sea Eagles V Storm Chat & news

Thanks guys. I don't have Fox at home so it is the local club or nothing. I am registered and will give it a go. Nothing worse than watching a game when everyone already knows the score. I know the club manager is a Manly supporter so I will see if we can do a Dragqueen lockout or something - all the Eagle' supporters would be happy with that.

found some more players
NSW Cup:
Sione Ala
Ben Shorter
Blake Davey
Scott Blanch
Michael Oldfield
Liam Foran
Gary Riccardi
Matt Cross
Liam Higgins
Junior Palau
Daniel Harrison
Mitch Jowett
Darcy Lussick

Joseph Hawkins
Shane Rodney
James Cunningham
Ray Moujalli

NYC:
Jorge Taufua
Mark Falaniko
Josh Portlock
Michael McDougall
Patrick Sipley
Taylor Matthews
Josh Drinkwater
Magnus Stromquist
Ajay Vaivaka
Tane Rapira
Tim Burrell
Jason Annear
Jamie Anderson

Nathan Cooper
Samiuela Kei
Chase Kerr-Taupiki
Justin Lemalu
James Clout

geez thats a strong Cup squad. Probably good enough to win the thing. A few of them will be play this season for sure for the 1sts.

Round 1 Preview: Storm v Sea Eagles

NRL.com Wed, Mar 09, 2011 - 3:30 PM

Saturday 7.30pm

Just a few seasons ago this match was one of the highlights of the year. These two impressive clubs went at each other hammer and tongs in back-to-back grand finals in 2007-2008 and a rivalry was boosted up to epic proportions. The rest of the league world didn’t particularly care for either club but it didn’t stop these two teams battering all-comers.

Circa 2011 and things are a little different. The Storm has been gutted (and stripped of the title they won over Manly in 2007) from the salary cap scandal, while the Sea Eagles have had some significant turnovers of their own – particularly at halfback. While Matt Orford was their chief playmaker in the good years, last year they were well served by rookie Trent Hodkinson, only to lose him to the Bulldogs. Now they rely on another rookie in Daly Cherry-Evans… can he fire them towards their lofty goals?

Perhaps the bigger question is will the return of fullback Brett Stewart be successful? The Brookvale wiz has missed significant amounts of football in the past two seasons with bad knees and it remains to be seen if he still has the slick speed and silky skills. He needs just two tries to reach 100 for his career and if he does so he’ll become just the third player in Manly history to do so.

His opposite number Billy Slater needs just one try to equal Matt Geyer’s club record of 113 tries for Melbourne. It is a shame Manly have taken some of the focus off the field this week with complaints about double standards from the NRL in relation to off-field incidents, but hopefully come game time the only talking point will be the 34 players in action.

Speaking of those players, Melbourne’s contentious centre positions have gone to Dane Nielson and Chase Stanley, with Beau Champion left on an extended bench. Matt Duffie and Anthony Quinn snare the wing spots. Brit Gareth Widdop will play five-eighth while Bryan Norrie and Jaiman Lowe are the starting props.

The Sea Eagles are as expected, with Tony Williams playing centre (for the suspended Steve Matai) and Will Hopoate (for David Williams) on the wing.

Watch Out Storm: The Sea Eagles managed to stay in the hunt in many contests last season based on their long-kicking game. With an average 617 metres gained from the boot each match, they were second to only eventual premiers St George Illawarra. Granted, they are now without Hodkinson, their main boot metre-eater, but he did share the duties pretty evenly with Kieran Foran. Matt Ballin also added some nice kicks from dummy-half.

If Cherry-Evans continues where Hodkinson left off, the Storm pack, without as many stars as they’ve had in the past, might find themselves carting the ball off their line often. They will also be turning and chasing back further more often, contributing to fatigue.

Of course the key is the Sea Eagles need to find space with these kicks. Slater is a master at getting to the ball on the full – they must limit his kick-return yardage for the full effect.

Danger Sign: If a wall of defenders is meeting Slater when he picks up the ball from kicks, the Sea Eagles mean business.

Watch Out Sea Eagles: The Storm will focus their attack through the middle of the ruck off the back of impressive hooker and captain Cameron Smith. There is perhaps no better player in the game at exploiting ruck defenders than Smith and considering the Sea Eagles had more tries scored on them up the middle of the field than any other NRL team in 2010, the red lights are flashing brightly.

The Storm might not have as many big names and have lost Brett White and Aiden Tolman up front but coach Craig Bellamy is a master at getting individuals to own their job. If they execute his game plan, they could punish the Sea Eagles.

Manly will probably compress their defence to combat the middle assault, which will allow Cooper Cronk to find Slater in space out wide.

Danger Sign: If the same Sea Eagle forwards are making multiple tackles in a row, it is only a matter of time before Smith executes a killer blow.

Plays To Watch: Billy Slater chasing a neat grubber kick from Cronk or Smith and flashing past in the blink of an eye; Cronk finding Slater with an inside pass up the middle of the ruck past a tiring forward; Stewart shadowing his own forwards looking for a clever offload; and big Tony Williams trying to run over the top of his opposite number.

Where It Will Be Won: In 80-minute execution. For years Melbourne has all been about doing the ‘one percenters’ – executing the simple but often overlooked crucial plays methodically, so as to grind opposition teams into the dust. Now, with a more inexperienced line-up, they must still be able to execute their game plan for 80 minutes to be successful.

Manly also need to learn to play for a whole game. Unbelievably in 2010 they scored more first-half points than any other side in the competition but scored fewer points than every other team in second stanzas. The side that can stay focussed the longest, eliminate errors (a hard task in early rounds) and stay panic-free will start the year with two competition points.

The History: Played 19; Storm 10, Sea Eagles 9. The Sea Eagles have won four of the past six matches between the clubs, including both encounters last season. This is the first time the two teams meet at the new AAMI Park – but Manly fans should be aware the Storm have won six straight at their home ground.

Further grounds for concern is the fact the Storm have won their Round 1 match for the past eight seasons running, while the Sea Eagles have lost their opening match for three straight years.

Conclusion: This is a tough match to call. The Sea Eagles look strong on paper but the Storm will be especially fired up as they play their first match for competition points in nearly a year. The emotion of the occasion might just be enough to get the home side over the line but they certainly won’t have it all their own way. Don’t be afraid to tip either way in this one.

Match Officials: Referees – Matt Cecchin & Gavin Reynolds; Sideline Officials – Steve Chiddy & Grant Atkins; Video Ref – Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
It is a shame Manly have taken some of the focus off the field this week with complaints about double standards from the NRL

Not a shame at all.

Dane Nielson looks as though he has a bit of potential, he's one I would be keeping a close eye on.....It may take us a few games to get our attack sorted out so I hope our defense is solid.
Hoppa may have to do a bit of cleaning up for T-rex but hopefully the big unit can use his size and give Hoppa some clean ball. At the end of the day I think the team will be keen to get a win for Brett and Glenn.
Manly by 8

Widdop set for his big moment
Stathi Paxinos
March 9, 2011
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/widdop-set-for-his-big-moment-20110308-1bmjh.html

A YEAR-long project to transform Gareth Widdop, Billy Slater's understudy at full-back, into a five-eighth would come to fruition on Saturday when Melbourne Storm played Manly in the first round of this year's NRL season, Storm football operations manager Frank Ponissi said yesterday.

Ponissi said the Storm had invested a lot of energy into Widdop even before the end of last season, playing him in the No. 6 jersey for much of the year in the reserves in the knowledge that incumbent Brett Finch would not be staying at the club.

Bellamy yesterday named an extended squad to take on the Sea Eagles as Beau Champion (calf), Sika Manu (knee) and Chase Stanley (knee) face fitness tests to prove that they could play this Saturday at AAMI Park. However, Billy Slater was confirmed as a starter after recovering from off-season shoulder surgery.

Ponissi said Manly would not be distracted by its war of words with the NRL over simmering resentment about star full-back Brett Stewart's four-game ban in 2009. The NRL incensed the Sea Eagles on Monday by announcing they would await the outcome of Benji Marshall's court case before considering any sanction after the new face of the competition was charged with assault following a weekend incident.

The club claims Stewart's treatment in 2009 was ''grossly unfair'' when he was suspended for four matches and the club fined $100,000 following the boozy season launch. The 26-year-old was cleared in court last year of a sexual assault charge stemming from the hours after that launch.

Manly coach Des Hasler accused NRL chief executive David Gallop of being inconsistent in not offering Stewart the same support as Marshall.

However, the NRL claimed Manly's report on the incident indicated Stewart was asked to leave the licensed premises where the Sea Eagles held their launch, due to intoxication.

With AAP

Look at their pack - it is comfortably the worst pack in the comp, and honestly is one of the worst I've ever seen. Blair is a star, but beyond that they only have Sika Manu (who is busted). Norrie and Jaiman Lowe is their starting front row? What??

They'll be playing with plenty of pride, but we cannot lose a game against a pack like that.

you can't discount the impact of Smith, Cronk and Slater though

For anyone on the Beaches who's not going to Melbourne, the Leagues club will be showing the game live via the red button I have been assured. It'd be good to get a few from the hill together.

lets hope we can smash the purple gimps and come away with 2 points for a  solid start to the year

It's a pity the NSW Cup game is on Saturday in Sydney.  Can't attend both.

They look like a very weak team in the fowards now they're not cheating the cap any more. Should be an interesting game, I think Smith and Cronk will target Tony with him playing centre. Be interesting to see Cherry Evans play, I've never seen him before.

i believe its a good thing that nsw cup are playing during the day, we will then know who actually may be on our bench !

Oh BE, you have a good memory!
The second-half fades are a distant memory for me.

Perhaps I may watch the 2008 GF once again to get back in the swing.

Saturday March 12, 2011
Melbourne Storm vs Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at AAMI Park, Melbourne, VIC (AUS)

Melbourne Storm
1 Billy Slater, 2 Matt Duffie, 3 Dane Nielson, 4 Chase Stanley, 5 Anthony Quinn, 6 Gareth Widdop, 7 Cooper Cronk, 8 Bryan Norrie, 9 Cameron Smith [c], 10 Jaiman Lowe, 11 Adam Blair , 12 Sika Manu, 13 Ryan Hinchcliffe. Subs: 14 Todd Lowrie , 15 Kevin Proctor , 16 Troy Thompson, 17 Jesse Bromwich, 18 Beau Champion (one to be omitted).

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
1 Brett Stewart, 2 Michael Robertson, 3 Jamie Lyon [c], 4 Tony Williams, 5 Will Hopoate, 6 Kieran Foran, 7 Daly Cherry-Evans, 8 Jason King [c], 9 Matt Ballin, 10 Brent Kite, 11 Anthony Watmough, 12 Joe Galuvao, 13 Glenn Stewart. Subs: 14 Terence Seuseu, 15 Jamie Buhrer, 16 George Rose, 17 Vic Mauro, 19 Tim Robinson (one to be omitted).

Date: Sat March 12 2011, 7:30PM AEDT GMT+11 [Sat March 12 2011, 8:30AM GMT]
Referee: Matt Cecchin

Predictions:
Matthew O'Neill: Sea Eagles by 6

OVERALL:
Total Games: 19
Melbourne Storm wins: 10. [Pts: 399]
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles wins: 9. [Pts: 334]
Draws: 0

Biggest wins:
Melbourne Storm: 30 pts: 2003 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 26 - [View] Sat Sep 6: Storm 40 d. Sea Eagles 10 [Crowd: 10020]
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles: 40 pts: 2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Grand Final - [View] Sun: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 40 d. Melbourne Storm 0 [Crowd: 80388]

Biggest Crowd: 2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Grand Final - [View] Sun: Melbourne Storm 34 d. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 8 [Crowd: 81392]

Last 50 games against each other form line (most recent matches at end of line):
Melbourne Storm: WWWLWLLLWLWWWLWLWLL
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles: LLLWLWWWLWLLLWLWLWW

Last 10 games:
2010 National Rugby League - Round 22 - [View] Sat: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 26 d. Melbourne Storm 6 [Crowd: 12550]
2010 National Rugby League - Round 6 - [View] Mon: Melbourne Storm 16 l. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 18 [Crowd: 14171]
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Finals Week 1 - [View] Fri: Melbourne Storm 40 d. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 12 [Crowd: 21155]
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 24 - [View] Sun: Melbourne Storm 16 l. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 20 [Crowd: 12601]
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 8 - [View] Fri: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 8 l. Melbourne Storm 22 [Crowd: 10752]
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Grand Final - [View] Sun: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 40 d. Melbourne Storm 0 [Crowd: 80388]
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 10 l. Melbourne Storm 16 [Crowd: 18442]
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 5 - [View] Fri: Melbourne Storm 26 d. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 4 [Crowd: 13632]
2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Grand Final - [View] Sun: Melbourne Storm 34 d. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 8 [Crowd: 81392]
2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 11 - [View] Sat: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13 d. Melbourne Storm 12 [Crowd: 18640]

Overall record with Matt Cecchin Stats:
Melbourne Storm: 7 games, won 3, drawn 0, lost 4.
Last 5 games:
2010 National Rugby League - Round 22 - [View] Sat: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 26 d. Melbourne Storm 6
2010 National Rugby League - Round 18 - [View] Sat: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 20 d. Melbourne Storm 18
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 24 - [View] Mon: Penrith Panthers 6 l. Melbourne Storm 40
2004 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 14 - [View] Sat Jun 12: Souths 28 d. Storm 26
2003 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 8 - [View] Sat May 3: Storm 46 d. Knights 6

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles: 2 games, won 2, drawn 0, lost 0.
Last 5 games:
2010 National Rugby League - Round 22 - [View] Sat: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 26 d. Melbourne Storm 6
2003 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun Apr 27: Sea Eagles 28 d. Souths 20

Head to Head with Matt Cecchin Stats:
Total Games: 1
Melbourne Storm wins: 0.
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles wins: 1.
Draws: 0

Last 5 games:
2010 National Rugby League - Round 22 - [View] Sat: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 26 d. Melbourne Storm 6 [Crowd: 12550]

http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2011/national_rugby_league//round_1_teams.php

Post  automatically merged: [time]1299826298[/time]

Melbourne Storm v Manly, AAMI Park, Saturday 7.30pm (EDT)
The Adjudicator says: "Ah Melbourne Storm, the side who gave up a fading star and in return got a Champion. Two years ago these were the two best teams in the NRL. Now, due to a dangerous cocktail of dodgy bookkeeping and injuries, Melbourne and Manly have between them the makings of a very complete unit. The Sea Eagles have no halves while all the Storm have left is their 'spine' of 1-6-7-9; in fact, it might be worth both sides investigating the chances of an 11th-hour merger ahead of the season beginning. Presuming a superpower of purple and maroon doesn't occur between now and Saturday evening, these two should still turn on a grand final-calibre performance, played on an impeccably clean slate south of the border."

The Adjudicator's verdict: "To the Phantom Warrior, I am not sure who you are but I can't help but agree with your sentiment. What Manly were doing getting involved in this Benji v Brett issue a week out from the season I'll never know. No reports of a merger yet, so at home, the Storm are specials - by 12."

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS

From Bushka of Brisbane: To the Phantom Warrior: When will you people realise that, as far as Brett Stewart was concerned, there was no “drunken binge”. Acquaint yourself with the facts. Manly’s only problem is the constant unwarranted innuendo will affect the team’s morale. Now is a good time to stick it to Gallop and win against the Storm.

Damien Brindle says: What a master stroke from Des. Opening the wounds of Brett Stewart and creating a siege mentality. Them vs us………. Manly are under the radar. Here we come baby!!!!!

Phantom Warrior says: And I can’t help but chuckle at Des Hasler’s desperation at comparing Benji Marshall’s little tiff with Brett Stewart’s drunken binge.  Is he flying the white flag?  Melbourne will belt Manly by at least 10 to lay down their early challenge for this year’s title.

Simon from the Gold Coast: Dear Mr Adjudicator, You said the Melbourne Storm have their spine intact of 1-6-7-9., but I beg to differ. I believe a player who was their no.6, of the name Brett Finch is over in the Old Dart plying his trade. Please check your facts... it is sad to see you getting them wrong before a ball has been kicked in anger.... trials with-standing. And I'm not a Storm supporter.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/the-adjudicator-gives-his-early-take-on-round-one-of-the-nrl-premiership/story-fn3g99dy-1226017119074

Signed up with nrlfix.com as suggested by sambo only to receive an email:

To all our members and NRL fanatics: Unfortunately we have had to close our site due to copyright infringements (refer to Copyright Act 1968-Sect 132A1). I can't go into detail of what the Nrl Partnership have done, but I have no choice but to shut the site down. Firstly I would like to thank Azsportza for the amount of work he has put into the site and to all of the staff involved in the site, It wouldn't be where it is without all your hard work. I think we can all agree that the Nrl has made a mistake because at the end of the day all we wanted is to give people around the world the opportunity to watch Nrl hassle free. We have never made $1 off the site it was all for the fans. We hope that you have all enjoyed our site while it was running, and the administrators want to thank you all for your contributions and support.

[email protected] will be open till Saturday morning, I would be very happy to here what the fans think of this. Also with our twitter/facebook.

Hope you can all find a way to watch the Nrl this season.

Cheers,
Liam, (Nrlfix)
Co-Owner Of Nrlfix.com

Are there other sites still available or are they all in this situation?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2