Sea Eagles CEO Joe Kelly will push for more Sunday arvo games at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I get there are are multitude of other costs on game day, but how are we, “On a number of games we are not even covering the hiring fee,”? The article claims the hire costs are $45,000 per game, at $20 a head we need a crowd of 2,250 to cover that. Average crowd this year is 10,000 (round figures), so ticket sales are generating $200,000 per game, leaving over $150,000 plus food and merch sales, to cover other costs. I've no idea what the other costs entail, but if there coming to more than $150,000, maybe we need to look at those areas.
Directors fees? Free sandwiches and pies for the board members?

What other potential tenant does Warringah Council have for Brookie? At an annual rental of $450K from the Sea Eagles you would think that they would be bending over backwards to work with their major (or is it only) tenant

Imagine what that land is worth to a developer, im sure they would have some options.

Imagine what that land is worth to a developer, im sure they would have some options.
Wrong, Try Family left it all in a Enduring Trust as free space to the residents of Manl-Warringah. It can not be sold - ever!

Since Warringah and Manly Councils split, the cost of upkeep is too much for Warringah.
It needs to be transferred into the State Trust ASAP

Last edited:
In a perfect world, the club would buy Brookvale from the council so it wouldn't have to spend so much on rent.

I don't live in Sydney, but have been there often enough and with my aunt living in Cromer since 1946 I know what its like trying to get from the northern beaches to either Gosford or Moore Park.

The biggest problem (other than the area being a safe Liberal seat which means they don't do as much there because they don't think they have to) is that Manly is the only professional sports club north of the Harbour. There is no A-League team and no Super Rugby side in the area which can call Brookvale Oval home. If there were then Brookvale would have most likely been upgraded already and we'd have a 25-30,000 seat boutique stadium that would give Parramatta Stadium a run for its money.

I wish Tony Abbott would take the same attitude John Howard did. Shock horror Kogarah got most of its upgrades when he was the PM and the Dragons #1 ticket holder. Doesn't Abbott have the #1 ticket at Manly?

Last edited:
In a perfect world, the club would buy Brookvale from the council so it wouldn't have to spend so much on rent.

I don't live in Sydney, but have been there often enough and with my aunt living in Cromer since 1946 I know what its like trying to get from the northern beaches to either Gosford or Moore Park.

The biggest problem (other than the area being a safe Liberal seat which means they don't do as much there because they don't think they have to) is that Manly is the only professional sports club north of the Harbour. There is no A-League team and no Super Rugby side in the area which can call Brookvale Oval home. If there were then Brookvale would have most likely been upgraded already and we'd have a 25-30,000 seat boutique stadium that would give Parramatta Stadium a run for its money.

Bingo, and therein lies the problem.

As others have said, the Penns can make a guaranteed $100k a game to take it to the SFS, so either they OR the NRL will eventually make that decision .

You'll then see, occasional games only at Brooky.

I don't agree with it but blind freddy can see it will happen.

Sadly Mark, unless Brookvale gets the upgrades it needs within the next 2-4 years then I can see that you're right, we'll end up playing most games probably at the SFS with only the occasional game at Brookie.

Sadly Mark, unless Brookvale gets the upgrades it needs within the next 2-4 years then I can see that you're right, we'll end up playing most games probably at the SFS with only the occasional game at Brookie.

It will be sad mate but those who can't see it coming are just kidding themselves.

How is it that the owners of ANZ (who ever they are ?!?) will actually give the home team $100,000 per game. Where is this money coming from? A crowd of 10,000 at ANZ would hardly break even, would it?

Mark I have lived all my life so far on the northern beaches - all my 25 years. Manly have always been at brookvale ,( I am not including the northern Eagles days as that was north's fault we moved up to Gosford) to take more than 2 games per year from brookvale I would seriously consider not paying my membership not worth it.

If you have lived here as long as I have you would understand that going to SFS or Gosford is near impossible on a Friday night to get to or let alone a Monday night . Transport is absolute mess from the beaches.

Yes the club may get more profit from playing at either of these venues but the fans won't travel and the average crowd numbers would drop.

I don't think Mark is saying it's a good thing, in fact he's saying the opposite. Sadly, I think he's right. I think we will eventually move the majority of home games to either SFS or Gosford, especially against Sydney opposition, then the lower crowd games such as Titans etc, will be played at Brookie and marketed as a chance to get that nostalgic experience at Manly's spiritual home. Much like Wests Tigers use Leichhardt, and Bulldogs used Belmore recently. I even expect Souths to do something similar with Redfern in the future.

I don't agree with it, but unfortunately I think that's what will happen.

How is it that the owners of ANZ (who ever they are ?!?) will actually give the home team $100,000 per game. Where is this money coming from? A crowd of 10,000 at ANZ would hardly break even, would it?

What would the average spend per head inside the stadium on food and drink be? You'd go through $20 per head fairly quickly, especially at ANZ prices, so they'd gross $200,000 on that alone based on 10,000 crowd.

NSW Taxpayers, Homebush is a white Elephant till 2017.
Some non-compete clauses were agreed to when it was built. It needs to cater for more sports apparently to get major International events.

The NSW Govt is working out the $1.5 billion Stadiums Budget as we speak.

Clover Moore does not want another 60k stadium at Moore Park. So it will take a while to re work the location/expansion of stadiums in Sydney

Parra will definetly get upgraded as they have the physical space and transport

I'm with you.
If Manly games were ever moved permanently to the SFS or ANZ then neither ground could possibly make money, thus they couldn't guarantee a payment incentive.

Parra will definetly get upgraded as they have the physical space and transport

Parramatta will also get an upgrade because there is more than one tenant with the Speels and Wanderers. Brookvale has Manly and that's it really. Oh sure, Brookie also houses the North Harbour Rays NRC team, but in all seriousness union doesn't draw dick unless its the Super Rugby or a Wallabies test.

What Brookvale really needs is an A-league team based there or for either Sydney FC or the Mariners to play games there. And it won't get a full time A-League team because right now I can't see them adding a 3rd Sydney team to the league any time soon and if they do it won't be on the northern beaches. Getting some Mariners games at Brookie is probably the best bet for another crowd drawing tenant.

I don't live on the beaches but can assure you I'd be aghast at the thought of the games moved away on a permanent basis BUT I'm simply looking at it in a financial / unbiased way and I reckon more likely the NRL than the Penns will enforce that the big games are played centrally.

You only have to look at what the AFL have done in Melbourne to see the future.

I agree with what's been said above, big Sydney games to the SFS, and away teams like Raiders / Titans still played at Brookvale ( as long as it's maintained , as if we leave what use is it any more ).

Wrong, Try Family left it all in a Enduring Trust as free space to the residents of Manl-Warringah. It can not be sold - ever!

Since Warringah and Manly Councils split, the cost of upkeep is too much for Warringah.
It needs to be transferred into the State Trust ASAP

I wonder if the council merger goes ahead how brookie would be impacted?

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8