Scott Penn says club will survive departures of Cherry-Evans and Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Brad Walter - SMH
20/03/15

Before they came from the field after last Saturday night's drama-charged 24-22 defeat of Melbourne, Manly coach Geoff Toovey gathered his players in a huddle and told them: "This is what it is all about, this is what we play for, we stick together."

Just 36 hours later, star five-eighth Kieran Foran again gathered the players together to confirm he would be joining Daly Cherry-Evans in exiting the club at the end of the season after agreeing to a $4.8 million, four-year deal with Parramatta.

1426757243474.jpg

Gone: Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran. Photo: Getty Images

The departure of Foran and Cherry-Evans, who is leaving for a $4.4 million, four-year deal with Gold Coast, is the first time in memory that a club has lost two key playmakers of their calibre at the same time, but Manly chairman Scott Penn insists it is far from doom and gloom.

"We are united, we have a clear mandate, we know where we want to go, we have the cheque book out for the first time in literally seven or eight years and we are ready to craft the future of this great club," said Penn, whose family owns 90 per cent of the Sea Eagles after a $6 million buyout of Quantum's stake last October.

The irony is that since that move, which has ended a decade of internal bickering at board level, Manly seem to be falling apart on the field following the loss of Test forwards Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough this season and the inability to retain either of their halves, who are now among the NRL's highest paid players.

Toovey's future is also under a cloud after appearing to be out of the loop on a number of key recruitment decisions, including the withdrawal of the club's offer to Cherry-Evans just days before he announced his move to the Titans.

But in a wide-ranging interview on the eve of Friday night's match against Canterbury, whose coach Des Hasler is blamed by some for the exodus at Manly for signing players on backended contracts before his sudden departure after the 2011 grand final, Penn insisted Toovey was still involved in recruitment and retention, explained how the club lost both playmakers and responded to claims by Cherry-Evans that he had a deal with previous management that was later revised down.

"If we make offers as a club we honour them so if there was a formal offer in writing from the club that spells out an amount and terms we will have to seriously look at that, but I am not aware of that," Penn said.

Asked about Toovey appearing to be caught out on television when quizzed on the withdrawal of the club's latest offer to Cherry-Evans after more than three months of negotiations, Penn said the coach had been "blindsided" by the questioning but knew of the decision.

"What has happened is that Geoff has suddenly been confronted on television with details of conversations that he thought were private and confidential, and that has been a really difficult position to be put in live on air but I think he handled it as well as he could in that situation," he said.

What Penn readily admits has not been handled well is the management of the roster at Manly in recent seasons, which has landed the Sea Eagles in the predicament they now find themselves in.

It has been widely reported that the group of senior players, who formed the nucleus of a team that has not missed the finals since 2005 and won two of the four grand finals they contested in those 10 seasons, accepted backended contracts to stay together.

But the emergence of Foran and Cherry-Evans meant it would be almost impossible to retain the pair and enable the likes of Watmough, Glenn and Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon, Jason King, Brent Kite and George Rose to play out their careers at Manly.

"This is what we were always going to be faced with but to be fair I think we have done a terrific job of managing that process, probably up until last year when it was going to be difficult to retain a couple of guys," Penn said.

"I have been very vocal about my feelings that the process wasn't handled well and against how I wanted it to play out, and that has created a number of issues for us which we are now mopping up.

"There has been criticism about Kieran and Daly both coming off contract at the same time, but the fact is that when their contracts were negotiated three or four years ago, they were still up and coming players who are both now fantastic players and in high demand.

"We were therefore always at risk in the broader market of another club needing a marquee player and being prepared to go over the top in terms of price, and in both cases there were other parties out there who were very interested and who came to the table with significant offers putting them both in the top five players in the game.

"For us, there were multiple scenarios about how this was going to play out; it was keep both, keep one or keep none. We scenario planned for all of those, it was certainly not our preferred outcome but we have got a solid plan against that outcome anyway and now we are in the market for the first time in a long time."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ryevans-and-kieran-foran-20150319-1m2vrx.html

Reads to me like he's lost, and he & Kelly are completely devoid of ideas.

Also, your key halfback is recruiting for another team. What are you going to do about it, or is this another,

"We have a plan that we are sticking to" moment your becoming famous for.

I prefer to back the club on this. We didn't pay overs and that is how it panned out. I believe we will have contingencies, and rather than continuing to slag off officialdom-I would rather we unite behind them. The time has come to stop moaning and be the supporters Tooves would want and in fact needs. The current squad needs us regardless of how upset we are with the greedy duo.

It's good that he's noted they're currently mopping up the mess that happened during last season, I'm not going to blame the Penns and Kelly on what has transpired over the last few months. Foran was already gone and as great a player as cherry is he does seem to be a wanker.
Hopefully he's not just spitting **** and they have good plans for our future.
However, if they sack Tooves they can get ****ed.

It's good that he's noted they're currently mopping up the mess that happened during last season, I'm not going to blame the Penns and Kelly on what has transpired over the last few months. Foran was already gone and as great a player as cherry is he does seem to be a wanker.
Hopefully he's not just spitting **** and they have good plans for our future.
However, if they sack Tooves they can get ****ed.

We'll then be told next season that they are mopping up the mess that happened during this season. The management of the club and the team and been quite shocking to most of us. It will take a bloody good plan to successfully bring us out of the 'mess'.

The Penn group have a right to run the club as they see fit but they have to understand a very old saying that is used in customer service. You either under promise and over deliver which people like and you NEVER over promise and under deliver. That is what it feels like about our so called retention of our halves.

It is now not about what Penn and his team say anymore its about what they do!! I like some of the plans they have for re-building the stadium and getting our house in order. One thing that really must improve is communication with the members and fans. We have all been totally frustrated of late by the lack of that.

I for one dont want to hear endless tales about who we will target blah blah blah

What I want to see is the retention of every good young player we have so we have the nucleus of the team sorted for years to come, there is a opportunity to do that now and the club MUST do it!

The gist is that Manly were aware of the two halves coming off contract at the same time, but did nothing about it. By 2014 both had played integral roles in their respective National Teams, Chez is a regular SOO Player, so how can Manly consider them as "up and comers" ?

The back ended deals were known in 2011 when Des left the books - so why didn't the Board address that issue?

'Mopping up' hardly sounds like a pro active plan on moving forward @:rolleyes:

Our Owner basically calls our Coach and Clive Churchill Medalist liars - poor management skills in trying to deflect the blame from his CEO@:cool:

Lets hope that Z can fix this mess, as there is no longer a divided Board to blame :giggle:

After reading this dribble from Penn, I have no doubt there was at least a verbal agreement with DCE regarding a new contract.

I would suggest that Kelly is the reason it was not acted on; paying MV for an incumbent seemingly against his will.

Not much about Foran in this read, but suffice it to say we are all confident he was gone last year and whatever he was offered would have been rejected.

Seems blatantly obvious to me that both Penn and Kelly are very happy to let DCE walk. There will be no round 13 about face.

Penn comes across as a clueless smug idiot.

James Hooper in today's DT states that Manly downgraded DCE's contract by $800k over 3 years from what Perry had previously offered him last year.

The Penn's made Foran a priority and as a result lost both.

For Penn to come out late last year and say that they wanted to resign both by xmas and then downgrade DEC's contract substantially shows they have no idea how to run a football club as they should have known that Foran was already gone

It makes Foran's action of delaying his decision even worse and indicates that he did it on purpose so that we would lose DCE and himself.

Last edited:
Penn now proves what we all suspected, he is an incompetent twat. I can't wait to see what overpriced muppets this "owner" throws milions at now that he can "buy his own" players.

Grass green Penn?

Two words to describe the Owner and CEO; ****ing Jokes.

At this rate ,these f*ckwits are going to be the next hired by the NRL. (fingers crossed)

Incredible that penn scenario planned for both to leave or to put in another way he scenario planned for manly to be mediocre for the next 3 years. F$$king unbelievable that they downgraded dce who wanted to stay to keep foran who as we all know agreed to terms with parra last sept.

Dce is the kangaroo half and a once in a generation player FFS

You may own the club Penn but we are the f$$king fans who support the team and have done since way before you were around.

I love how the scenarios devised were either 1) both stay, 2) 1 leave 1 stay, or, 3) both leave.

Smart operators

I love how the scenarios devised were either 1) both stay, (2) 1 leave 1 stay, or, 3) both leave.

Exactly. What about the 4th scenario.

4) The player that was going to stay in (2) goes and the player that was going to leave in (2) stays.

Brad Walter - SMH
20/03/15

Before they came from the field after last Saturday night's drama-charged 24-22 defeat of Melbourne, Manly coach Geoff Toovey gathered his players in a huddle and told them: "This is what it is all about, this is what we play for, we stick together."

Just 36 hours later, star five-eighth Kieran Foran again gathered the players together to confirm he would be joining Daly Cherry-Evans in exiting the club at the end of the season after agreeing to a $4.8 million, four-year deal with Parramatta.

1426757243474.jpg

Gone: Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran. Photo: Getty Images

The departure of Foran and Cherry-Evans, who is leaving for a $4.4 million, four-year deal with Gold Coast, is the first time in memory that a club has lost two key playmakers of their calibre at the same time, but Manly chairman Scott Penn insists it is far from doom and gloom.

"We are united, we have a clear mandate, we know where we want to go, we have the cheque book out for the first time in literally seven or eight years and we are ready to craft the future of this great club," said Penn, whose family owns 90 per cent of the Sea Eagles after a $6 million buyout of Quantum's stake last October.

The irony is that since that move, which has ended a decade of internal bickering at board level, Manly seem to be falling apart on the field following the loss of Test forwards Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough this season and the inability to retain either of their halves, who are now among the NRL's highest paid players.

Toovey's future is also under a cloud after appearing to be out of the loop on a number of key recruitment decisions, including the withdrawal of the club's offer to Cherry-Evans just days before he announced his move to the Titans.

But in a wide-ranging interview on the eve of Friday night's match against Canterbury, whose coach Des Hasler is blamed by some for the exodus at Manly for signing players on backended contracts before his sudden departure after the 2011 grand final, Penn insisted Toovey was still involved in recruitment and retention, explained how the club lost both playmakers and responded to claims by Cherry-Evans that he had a deal with previous management that was later revised down.

"If we make offers as a club we honour them so if there was a formal offer in writing from the club that spells out an amount and terms we will have to seriously look at that, but I am not aware of that," Penn said.

Asked about Toovey appearing to be caught out on television when quizzed on the withdrawal of the club's latest offer to Cherry-Evans after more than three months of negotiations, Penn said the coach had been "blindsided" by the questioning but knew of the decision.

"What has happened is that Geoff has suddenly been confronted on television with details of conversations that he thought were private and confidential, and that has been a really difficult position to be put in live on air but I think he handled it as well as he could in that situation," he said.

What Penn readily admits has not been handled well is the management of the roster at Manly in recent seasons, which has landed the Sea Eagles in the predicament they now find themselves in.

It has been widely reported that the group of senior players, who formed the nucleus of a team that has not missed the finals since 2005 and won two of the four grand finals they contested in those 10 seasons, accepted backended contracts to stay together.

But the emergence of Foran and Cherry-Evans meant it would be almost impossible to retain the pair and enable the likes of Watmough, Glenn and Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon, Jason King, Brent Kite and George Rose to play out their careers at Manly.

"This is what we were always going to be faced with but to be fair I think we have done a terrific job of managing that process, probably up until last year when it was going to be difficult to retain a couple of guys," Penn said.

"I have been very vocal about my feelings that the process wasn't handled well and against how I wanted it to play out, and that has created a number of issues for us which we are now mopping up.

"There has been criticism about Kieran and Daly both coming off contract at the same time, but the fact is that when their contracts were negotiated three or four years ago, they were still up and coming players who are both now fantastic players and in high demand.

"We were therefore always at risk in the broader market of another club needing a marquee player and being prepared to go over the top in terms of price, and in both cases there were other parties out there who were very interested and who came to the table with significant offers putting them both in the top five players in the game.

"For us, there were multiple scenarios about how this was going to play out; it was keep both, keep one or keep none. We scenario planned for all of those, it was certainly not our preferred outcome but we have got a solid plan against that outcome anyway and now we are in the market for the first time in a long time."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ryevans-and-kieran-foran-20150319-1m2vrx.html
The sooner those imbeciles are gone the better for the club!
Have not lived up to anything they've promised. Plus they just keep taking money out of the club. Are they going to pay up next year as major sponsor since Kaspersky are gone? Are they going to give us any of the $16million profit they made from the Leagues club? Are they going to give us anything? No, just cause us grief! Please sell your shares and do everyone a favour!

Incredible that penn scenario planned for both to leave or to put in another way he scenario planned for manly to be mediocre for the next 3 years. F$$king unbelievable that they downgraded dce who wanted to stay to keep foran who as we all know agreed to terms with parra last sept.

Dce is the kangaroo half and a once in a generation player FFS

You may own the club Penn but we are the f$$king fans who support the team and have done since way before you were around.
They wouldn't know how to run a brothel. Useless!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6