Same old Same old

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des will give the existing team half a season before he brings in any new players He doesn't have much choice as we have no depth and a lot of our Fg are reserve grade standard

With 24 off contract this year 2020 will see us with a completely different team

In the meantime we just have to enjoy any wins we get which won't be many I can see us 0-6 or 0-7
Have to agree with you here. If Walker was playing and we had Turbo from round one I think the team looks so different. With the personnel we have on hand though we should just be thankful when we get a win

Des will give the existing team half a season before he brings in any new players He doesn't have much choice as we have no depth and a lot of our Fg are reserve grade standard

With 24 off contract this year 2020 will see us with a completely different team

In the meantime we just have to enjoy any wins we get which won't be many I can see us 0-6 or 0-7

A new coach cannot build confidence and morale in his team by making changes after only 2 games .

The fact is
The same team and players that the pessimists are calling for massive changes is the team that played their last 40 minutes outscoring the roosters by 3 tries to one .

That effort was an improvement from game one and we can only get better with team stability and confidence

Premiership winning teams do not put the cue on the rack but the team to the sword . That is why they are the premier team

This pathetic excuse of the premiers putting the cue in the rack at half time undermining our teams great effort to out score them in the second half convinngly by the tune of 3 tries to one is from the same pessimists that predicted a cricket score against us .

First they predict a cricket score against us then they cover up the pitch with their excuses

Thats just not cricket feathered friends

Very irrational post and you have 2 likes out of all our 10, 000 members to support your logic of comparing our 2 game team under Des with the 3 year rookie quitter and failure .

He seems to be doing a lot better than you in the likes department...

we don't like losing .... but sometimes we do ... we are rebuilding .... this is not our year .... I hope its not going to be our first wooden spoon .... but we are not showing enough killer instinct ... again DCE needs a really good 5/8 ... etc

Personally feel that first game, pretty unlucky and deserved to lead by 12 - 14, but that Tigpies team was there for the taking and performed below average.
Problem I had with that game is once they scored a lucky try, seemed to dominate and by games end, the better side clearly won and our attack looked pedestrian....weather permitting...

The Roosters game, though proud the boys fought back and didn't hold the white flag we have seen in recent times, game was shot after 40 minutes regardless of the FT score.

I see the points Sue has made and its hard to argue that Fainu certainly changes the tempo in attack and asked far more questions of the defence, to go a step further opened up some extra doors for DCE to get into the game and look dangerous....its not a negative call really, simply a true assessment of how it played out.
Api is a solid defender and put on a few crackers, but his predictability in attack basically allows the defence to control our attack...the tempo around the ruck was night and day.

Also agree on the Parker situation and I felt he put in a full blooded performance last Saturday, but simply not really up to it....Elliott same page, but will reserve judgement till he plays om the wing.

The situation will be far better with Tom T, who will allow far more space for DCE and Elgey around the ruck and the likes of Parker, Suli, Elliott and Garrick to look a liitle more dangerous out wide.
Just having him out there will attract a heap of defenders his way and open up more space and could well be the missing piece that improves the side dramatically, especially with the ball.

I’d honestly have Parker out and Elliot in the centres. Taufua needs to go though. All this carrying on about giving it time?? Des was brought in to revamp the joint, yes were down in troops but giving old heads time to keep doing what they’re doing isn’t what we need.

01. Turbo
02. Garrick
03. Suli
04. Funa
05. Elliot

We're only 2 games into the season, have players missing due to various reasons (Walker, Turbo, AFB etc) & both games have been played in terrible conditions.

It's a running joke that the Roosters have been rorting the salary cap &/or TPA rules for a long time so even without Cronk, Friend & Keary they can field a team full of rep-level players.

I'm a lot more confident in Des' abilities as head coach & am sure he knows what he's doing & is doing what he's doing for good reason.

So far we've seen improvement in our defence, improvement in some of our players who struggled last year (Suli) & have been impressed by some of our new players (Garrick & Waddell).

We've shown the ability to fight back instead of retreating into our shells like we did the previous 3 years when facing a score like 26 nil, which indicates self-belief, determination & a desire to win, which is streets ahead of what we've shown over the last 3 years.

Des is obviously looking at getting rid of players he doesnt see in Manly's future (Winterstein) & is picking up underrated (under the radar) players (Boyle) in what is obviously the start of a rebuilding phase.

24 players are off contract after this season & I'm sure Des has already started thinking about who he wants here next year from those 24, as well as players from elsewhere he wants to target.

I'm comfortable knowing the wheels are in motion towards improving our current situation (something I never felt while Barrett was at the helm) & am sure we'll all be pleasantly surprised at our form over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Almost 30 in the rain is a cricket score, simple as that. Tupou had a field day, and carved us like a Christmas dinner for the second year straight.

Let me make this VERY clear. I'm not changing my tune. They did exactly what I expected. I thought the rain would be a leveller, but it wasn't.

30 odd points ripped through you in that weather, is like 50+ on a dry track. You hear the commentators say that after 10 points against us, and the rain coming down, "in this weather, that's a LOT of points to pull back". They are the pros, and they are right.

I know you're a very passionate supporter mate, which I think is great.

I've noticed you've complained several times about being called negative but I do think it has a basis in some truth.

There was one post you made in the match day thread where you said words to the effect of "everyone who said otherwise" (referring to the improvement they expect this year) "deserves everything that's about to happen" (in regards to expecting us to be walloped by the Roosters in the second half).

I thought that was unnecessary, because it had connotations of vengeance against others on here who have disagreed with your opinion.

I know emotions were riding high, but that's how it came across to me.

Maybe just focus your passion on supporting our team & discuss negative aspects more rationally instead of letting emotion take over mate? It doesnt need to be an "us vs them" situation.

In your post I quoted you're citing the commentators as being experts but they have opinions just like the rest of us. They said after 10 points against us that it was a lot of points to pull back, yet we scored 8 more than that in a spirited comeback?

Last edited:
You are using your catastrophic ALMOST word once again .

The game is played under 80 minutes and not only 40 and unlike last season we did not capitulate but bounced back and won the second half and to use your own word ALMOST
We ALMOST won the mach

I get the feeling you’re hitting your head against a brick wall on this one mate. Pointless using facts to argue with irrational emotions.

Let’s not sweep under the rug the fact that we’re 0-2, and potentially could easily go 0-4 for the start of the year. The pre season has been full of positives. Our roster is down in comparison to other clubs, des should be under pressure to perform, penn brought him in on that basis that he was a proven performer...attitude has changed within the playing group but it needs to bring wins. With the current backline were trotting out it won’t happen.

I know you're a very passionate supporter mate, which I think is great.

I've noticed you've complained several times about being called negative but I do think it has a basis in some truth.

There was one post you made in the match day thread where you said words to the effect of "everyone who said otherwise" (referring to the improvement they expect this year) "deserves everything that's about to happen" (in regards to us being walloped by the Roosters in the second half).

I thought that was unnecessary, because it had connotations of vengeance against others on here who have disagreed with your opinion.

I know emotions were riding high, but that's how it came across to me.

Maybe just focus your passion on supporting our team & discuss negative aspects more rationally instead of letting emotion take over mate? It doesnt need to be an "us vs them" situation.

In your post I quoted you're citing the commentators as being experts but they have opinions just like the rest of us. They said after 10 points against us that it was a lot of points to pull back, yet we scored 8 more than that in a spirited comeback?
Mate after the Chooks went in for their first try it was lights out. Fact is we are the most useless pack in the wet. Can’t remwber the last time we won a game in the rain or the wet.

So we get towelled up in our first two games and don’t score a single try in the first half of either game - with the obvious issues being a lack of organisation and speed in the ruck leading to a terrible kicking game and no go forward and a backline that only plays to the right side due to Cherry being there and poor left hand side options.

So to address our issues in attack we keep the same left hand side - a bloke whose handling is putting us behind the eightball every game and another who since the start of last year has played 19 games, scored three tries, made three line breaks,had zero try assists and run for a staggering 70 metres metres per game despite playing almost all his games on the wing.How can a modern day winger run for 70 metres! To have figure like these and be considered for an NRL position is staggering. Goat photos ???

To keep both these guys in the side we dispatch a bloke who has a very good try scoring record and filled in pretty well at fullback.Parker needed to go. Jorge is our only genuine winger and at least has some runs on the board.Im assuming Funa is still injured.

We then also keep a bloke at starting hooker who has played the majority of time on the field and in that time we have scored one eightieth minute try and looked a disorganised rabble, as we have for three years.To cater for that selection we have a bloke warming the bench who lit up Brookie last week for the first time in living memory, had the forwards rolling and DCE on fire.

I hope we can jag a win against a poor Warriors side last week to get our season rolling but to say I’m confused is an understatement. Lose this game and inevitably the Bunnies the week after and any remote top eight chance is gone. Thought there might have been a bit more urgency with selections.If we don’t start well like the sad starts of the last two weeks the crowd and emotion will give them a huge lift. We know it doesn’t work - surely something different needs to be tried.
Everyone knows Des is loyal to a fault. He is inclined to start the year with who he thinks will best suit the team going forward, and then stick with them. Week after week, despite various undulations in their form line. I for one won't second guess his choice as to our strongest side.
The exception to doggedly sticking with his selections is that for this year he will certainly have an eye on bringing in some of our young talent. Already he's picked Fainu, Garrick and Waddell and by season's end will probably also have blooded Hoppa and Funa.
Given the weather in our first 2 games I don't have a problem with Elgey getting another chance.

Serious question, with Walker, Turbo, Hoppa injuries and $300k tied up in cap penalties, can I ask who you would have trotted out?

Guessing maybe Funa? Perhaps Des doesn't think he's ready...? Who knows.

So it’s just acceptable that we keep losing whilst not trying other avenues? I’d rather lose having young kids given a shot. Then we can say it was tried. We dealt with des and his lack of wanting to change up his squad before...it’s round two and under his watch in previous seasons we’ve started worse, but we where in a better day back then. Not now.

Take a look at dean pay. 5 changes due to the fact the dogs have performed like puss. It’s a shame because I put us in the same boat.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8