Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hozza, Crichton signed a three year deal worth close to 1m per year according to all media reports at the time, so not sure what you're disagreeing with.
Chuck I was disagreeing with your comment saying Dce isn’t a dud..

@Chuck and @HoldenV8 only time will tell who is right. And only a Premiership will vindicate Dce. Been 5yrs, only 3 to go boys. Times ticking..

Hey SL - There needs to be a Not For Profit entity set up if one hasn't already been set up. While I am a Lobbyist by trade being a forrmer senior public servant, the business I own and run operates across Australia and we now mainly focus on writing grants and tenders for NFP's and businesses and also chasing sponsorship. I would be happy to offer some free help if an entity is set up and we would help to chase some grant funding. Just let me know.

Mate, you seem to be the process guy, I'm the ideas guy with marketing attributes, so lets get our heads together for post "corona" discussions. Wouldn't be awesome that we as supporters could pay back our heroes by giving to those heroes their charitable dreams. I would think most on this site would support, and also the greater RL community. I'll send you a message...

BYW if anyone else wants to get involved let me know

Mate, you seem to be the process guy, I'm the ideas guy with marketing attributes, so lets get our heads together for post "corona" discussions. Wouldn't be awesome that we as supporters could pay back our heroes by giving to those heroes their charitable dreams. I would think most on this site would support, and also the greater RL community. I'll send you a message...

BYW if anyone else wants to get involved let me know
Thanks or email me - [email protected] - easy as.

@Chuck and @HoldenV8 only time will tell who is right. And only a Premiership will vindicate Dce. Been 5yrs, only 3 to go boys. Times ticking..

I know he was never at Manly but its still a valid comparison. In over 10 years with the Cows, even one of the so-called next Immortals couldn't do squat until he got players around him capable of doing the job.

There are a few players in our squad and squads of the past 3-4 years who would be flat out getting a regular place in first grade without injuries or suspension to those in front of them, let alone actually doing something like winning a first grade NRL premiership. Unfortunately most of them have ended up playing first grade with us because of injuries to others.

Seriously, have a settled spine with Turbo at fullback and not injured, a good hooker (Fainu) and a good 5/8 (Schuster over Walker IMO), plus upgrade on other positions (centre, wing) and we are a lot better side than where we currently are on the ladder. Remember, we were fighting for a place in the top 4 before the injuries culled our season, and that was after the rules changes. Since then DCE has played virtually a lone hand in trying to keep this team competitive. Even Johnathan Thurston struggled to do that at the Cows without help.

Last edited:
To be fair on DCE he has been forced to do all the attacking work. No one around him seems to have the know how or ability to help him. Our so called 5/8s drop balls, miss tackles and through ridiculous passes etc. I agree he's had a bad year, but until all the injuries we were in running.

In all reality, because of injuries the only constants in our spine in 2020 have been DCE and ... Danny Levi. And Levi went so well this year he's been told he won't be re-signed even though we're not likely to see Fainu back on the park until mid-2021 at best.

For around 2/3's of this season, DCE has been virtually our ONLY attacking player who was doing anything. Is it any wonder we dropped from 4th or 5th down to 11th??

Yet apparently he's the problem according to some..... He's not good enough, not a good enough captain and of course, his salary which was the clubs fault and not his, is holding us back.

Last edited:
I would love someone to run the numbers.
Yes I agree extending Paseka is great, but he was already contracted till 2021.
Isnt it more relevant to sign who is needed for 2021 and not who we already have locked in.
I would love to know exactly what's left in the kitty after DCE, The Turbos, Marty, Sironen, Jorge and Paseka collect and leave for the remaining 23 to divvy up.

In all reality, because of injuries the only constants in our spine in 2020 have been DCE and ... Danny Levi. And Levi went so well this year he's been told he won't be re-signed even though we're not likely to see Fainu back on the park until mid-2021.

For around 2/3's of this season, DCE has been virtually our ONLY attacking player who was doing anything. Is it any wonder we dropped from 4th or 5th down to 11th??

Yet apparently he's the problem according to some..... He's not good enough, not a good enough captain and of course, his salary which was the clubs fault and not his, is holding us back.

While i agree 100% , i dont think the team necessarily needed him to attack as much as he does. His speeds are fast and faster and at times the team needs a spell and he is speeding the game up to a frantic pace only to hand the ball over

I think our team would have fared better with less attack from DCE and more kicking, managing and a **** tonne more patience. Possibly even a plan . His need to overplay his hand too often when in possession has really worked against us

I wont go into individual skills as such , but what he does with the ball when in possession isnt always about who is on the other side of the field but decisions he makes 2 plays before he recieves the ball

When he does kick no one in our team seems prepared for it

Less is more, more or less

Isnt it more relevant to sign who is needed for 2021 and not who we already have locked in.
I would love to know exactly what's left in the kitty after DCE, The Turbos, Marty, Sironen, Jorge and Paseka collect and leave for the remaining 23 to divvy up.

If we waited any longer to extend Paseka other clubs could approach him from 30th November & tempt him away from us.

Yes but as they stagger contracts knowing who you lock in for subsequent years can impact next years signings

Remember the season isn’t even over yet so any signings ( as in decent ones) won’t be announced for at least a month and could even be two.

Only players who are off contract and haven’t been offered a new one could be announced straight away.

I look at who we’ve lost, and add up their dollars and even with a few upgrades we are having to make there must be a lot of money still to spend.

Have faith ( and patience ).

I don't think clubs, managers, players care one iota about contracts and who is on or off contract. If the player, manager, or new club want a player, dates mean nothing.
You're all forgetting, he was off to the NFL about 8 weeks ago and he had a contract. He's been the big improver most definately and great for Manly, but only after the NFL dream ended. He's playing NRL now with a different mindset, he's staying, not going.

Think about this.....

With most of the players that are currently on our roster, we still made the Semi's in 2019 and that was with Dylan Walker at 5/8. Now we all know that when he's in the halves, Walks is an out of position centre. But it wasn't so much how good he was in the position, it was that he was a constant in the position (from about mid-season anyway) and the other positions were also constant. Turbo mostly at fullback until he did his pec, Jorge and Reubs on the wings, Parker and Suli in the centres and Cherry at half. They all had time to get the combinations working.

Of course, we also had dummy halves who were actually good at their job and that helped ... a LOT.

This year after both Turbo and Walks went down injured, we've had Elliot, Reubs and Funa at fullback. Parker, Suli, Jetski, Funa, Hopoate and Harper in the centres. Reubs, Jorge, Hopoate, Funa and Miski on the wings. Cust, Croker and Schuster at 5/8, and Levi and Croker at dummy half. To use an old phrase, our backline has been all over the shop like a mad woman's custard and its not been helped by a couple of 3rd rate dummy halves. The only players in our backline who haven't ever been out injured for long periods (or at all) or been constantly moved around have been Brad Parker and DCE.

If we had a constant backline (Thommo and AFB aside, the forwards have been largely stable) where we had known and working combinations, even with Walks still at 5/8, I have no doubts we would be firmly in the top 8 right now.

The club want to move on a couple of players before November as the players are entitled to look at potential offers from other clubs, avoiding the bidding war and rewarding the players the club want.

The balance of the cap is always difficult, not an easy task. Heres hoping we lock the other two players up before November.

While i agree 100% , i dont think the team necessarily needed him to attack as much as he does. His speeds are fast and faster and at times the team needs a spell and he is speeding the game up to a frantic pace only to hand the ball over

I think our team would have fared better with less attack from DCE and more kicking, managing and a **** tonne more patience. Possibly even a plan . His need to overplay his hand too often when in possession has really worked against us

I wont go into individual skills as such , but what he does with the ball when in possession isnt always about who is on the other side of the field but decisions he makes 2 plays before he recieves the ball

When he does kick no one in our team seems prepared for it

Less is more, more or less

"His need to overplay his hand too often when in possession has really worked against us"

Considering that for the last 3 months he's had a backline consisting mostly of rookies and fringe players who aren't capable, DCE has had to do virtually all the attacking plays. He's pretty much had to overplay his hand to try and keep us anywhere near competitive. Yes its worked against us at times, but it would help if there were others who offered up more than exactly squat and left it all to one player.

He hasn't had and still doesn't have a game managing 5/8 to help. And don't get me started on our 3rd rate dummy halves who are about as useful as tits on a bull.

As for when he kicks ... it would be nice to have players actually putting in the effort to chase the ball rather than lumbering downfield waiting for the opposition ball runner to come to them. Turbo and Reubs are really the only players we have who do chase when Cherry puts up a high kick, and neither of them have played much lately. Seriously, in the past month how many bombs has he put up on our right for our winger, and he'd still chase through and beat Hopoate, the intended target, to the play? You watch if he puts a bomb up for our right winger this weekend. I bet you Reubs (who has been named) will be chasing it a lot harder than anyone else out there.

"His need to overplay his hand too often when in possession has really worked against us"

Considering that for the last 3 months he's had a backline consisting mostly of rookies and fringe players who aren't capable, DCE has had to do virtually all the attacking plays. He's pretty much had to overplay his hand to try and keep us anywhere near competitive. Yes its worked against us at times, but it would help if there were others who offered up more than exactly squat and left it all to one player.

He hasn't had and still doesn't have a game managing 5/8 to help. And don't get me started on our 3rd rate dummy halves who are about as useful as tits on a bull.

As for when he kicks ... it would be nice to have players actually putting in the effort to chase the ball rather than lumbering downfield waiting for the opposition ball runner to come to them. Turbo and Reubs are really the only players we have who do chase when Cherry puts up a high kick, and neither of them have played much lately. Seriously, in the past month how many bombs has he put up on our right for our winger, and he'd still chase through and beat Hopoate, the intended target, to the play? You watch if he puts a bomb up for our right winger this weekend. I bet you Reubs (who has been named) will be chasing it a lot harder than anyone else out there.
I agree. Would be pretty crap being a half back in this current side ATM with no full back, dud hookers, reserve grade 5/8, your best centres injured. I actually think other than Cleary, DCE has been the second best half in the comp. You put any other half in this side and I don't think they would of managed to come up with as many tries single handily as Chez has done in 2020. People have asked him to kick better, run more, pass it to the backs more, be a better leader etc. I actually think he is trying to run more, but is weary of getting tackled on the 4th, he is trying to pass it to the outside backs, on both sides, he is having to deal with a lot of one out running, not much intent in the way we have been carrying the ball, no one supports the ball carrier. Hookers that go themselves when they should pass, or pass it to your head. Anyway, would not be easy is what I'm saying. Not sure many players would have done anything any better to change where we are sitting on the ladder.

Thats being pretty selective with the quote. My post is about attacking less and thinking more, as opposed to being required to play catch up at every opportunity .

1 player. 1 posession , 100 choices. Poor choice is owned
If a prop runs sideways , it isnt the other props fault because he is a plodder

At times he hasnt had to overplay his hand but does. It was a choice that had nothing to do with the hooker

Our kick chase is poor. I agree, but so are the constant mid field bombs that do nothing but hand ball over cheaply and without contest . The first job of the chase team is to be onside , but invariably they are being thrown dodgy late balls due to cherry running Out of options because he hasnt got a plan.

Taking the ball on the fly from the dummy half with the intention of kicking is basic kicking skills that allows the chase team to come with. Instead shielding behind the ruck he is any easy target and the chase team is flat footed and wondering what play is coming

This reluctance to copy the other 20 or so kickers in the comp is staggering and a big part of why we score very little of kicks, getting repeat sets and applying pressure. This momentum building move also adds massive metres to everyones kick and the extra time , vision and space helps find the grass instead of the player. Until this basic skill is adopted much of the other hoo haa is invalid

This tactic does open the player up to being tackled hard and this seems the major deterrent

If its tried and doesnt work, get back to me then , but its one of the reasons foran is being sought out. His understanding that both passing and kicking at the line or through it , has a much greater affect on the outcomes of footy games than looking for hole runners all night

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2