Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was just searching for any news on this total debacle and found this by Brent Read (the 'journo' who was angry we wouldn't let players speak to him re: Hastings etc) and anyway....here's the link.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...d/news-story/6143f6c4bfa0ea824ed9aff2193d6fb4

Any hope Manly had of making a big splash in the player market before June 30 appear over after their application for leave to appeal their salary cap sanctions was scheduled for June 25 — five days before the cut-off for signings.

The Sea Eagles have applied to appeal the sanctions they received from the NRL in March for breaches of the salary cap over the past five years.

Among those sanctions was a $660,000 penalty to be applied to the cap this season and next. Manly are seeking to have those penalties overturned and should they be successful they would be in a position to spend an additional $330,000 this season. The result is now likely to make little difference to their squad this year given the date set for the application to be heard is so late in June.

The outcome of Manly’s hearings will also have significant ramifications for their spending next season. If they are successful, the Sea Eagles could suddenly become one of the big players given it would mean an additional $660,000 to spend over this season and next.

Should Manly win their application for leave to appeal, the appeal is likely to be heard on the same day by a three-man body headed by appeals committee chair Ian Callinan QC.

So.... two months to decide whether Manly can appeal or not, if Manly can they have/will probably do it on the same day.

Seems fair and legit. Feels like a fair bit of intoddgrity going on! @Batty

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So.... two months to decide whether Manly can appeal or not, if Manly can they have/will probably do it on the same day.

Seems fair and legit. Feels like a fair bit of intoddgrity going on! @Batty
'Leave to appeal granted, appeal dismissed.'
Doesn't take very long to utter those words so one day should be ample!

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
'Leave to appeal granted, appeal dismissed.'
Doesn't take very long to utter those words so one day should be ample!

I think you may be right!

I mean I know you are technically right, I meant I think that is what will happen.

giphy.gif

I find it difficult to believe that should manly win the right to appeal that a hearing to decide this could be determined in one day. What happened to the volumes 80,000 so called documents etc.? Surely it would take a lot longer to nut it out unless the proceedings are stitch up? At least a date has been set and we don't have to re-live the #nextweek posts from @Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I find it difficult to believe that should manly win the right to appeal that a hearing to decide this could be determined in one day. What happened to the volumes 80,000 so called documents etc.? Surely it would take a lot longer to nut it out unless the proceedings are stitch up? At least a date has been set and we don't have to re-live the #nextweek posts from @Mark from Brisbane

With 800,000 not 80,000 to read it’s no wonder it’s been #nextweek

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sounds about right.

Civil court here we come.
Maybe, maybe not, I guess we'll see.
If the appeal is dismissed, at least Penn has proclaimed his innocence and he can use the exorbitant cost of legal proceedings as the reason to fight no further.
Manly cops a moderate financial penalty deducted from the NRL grant (not from Penn's pocket), Greenberg escapes without the risk of what would be a humiliating if not devastating defeat, and we can all just get on with the game!

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
My mail is that the paperwork is ready to be lodged with the Supreme Court with a hefty damages bill. Will be lodged 15 mins after we get knocked back by the NRL.

Evidently we are prepared. To me that's a first in itself?
Ooh goody, a high stakes game of bluff and double bluff.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Maybe Penn is banking on someone at NRL HQ standing up to Greenberg and saying we are not spending countless dollars just to protect your pride.
Win-win-win. Adequate settlement, Manly recovers our dignity and salary cap, and the NRL rids itself of Greenberg who by all reports has lost a lot of his allure among league power-brokers.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Maybe Penn is banking on someone at NRL HQ standing up to Greenberg and saying we are not spending countless dollars just to protect your pride.
Win-win-win. Adequate settlement, Manly recovers our dignity and salary cap, and the NRL rids itself of Greenberg who by all reports has lost a lot of his allure among league power-brokers.
That's because he's grossly incompetent.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That's because he's grossly incompetent.
Historically that has never really been seen as a problem for a league administrator!
Even dishonesty, a la K Humphreys, was accepted with a shrug and a 'Oh well, what's for dinner?"
It is Greenberg's manner & style which has him counting numbers.
And hopefully he's off to parliament or the Olympics or something soon before the game hits some tipping point from which recovery is impossible.

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
So the countdown to D Day is on. In 19 days we will (hopefully fingers crossed) know the outcome of this witch hunt.

Whatever happens though, Greenberg will likely come out of this unscathed.

tookey

First Grader
My mail is that the paperwork is ready to be lodged with the Supreme Court with a hefty damages bill. Will be lodged 15 mins after we get knocked back by the NRL.

Evidently we are prepared. To me that's a first in itself?
And if you know it then the NRL will also know

It will be no surprise if the NRL end up cancelling out salary cap penalty so as to avoid dragging the game through the surpreme court

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Please let the above be true !!!!!!

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Greenburg ha been very quiet of late i wonder if he’s been gagged. It must be killing that huge ego to have to keep his mouth shut.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18