Sack Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should we sack Trent

• Total voters
I wouldn’t sack him yet, because it’d just leave Cartwright at the helm for the rest of the season. I’d certainly be looking out for someone for next season though.

I wouldn’t sack him yet, because it’d just leave Cartwright at the helm for the rest of the season. I’d certainly be looking out for someone for next season though.

Leaving Cartwright at the helm is a truly frightening thought. And maybe that's part of the problem - wasn't Barrett supposed to be surrounded by experienced assistants, with Bozo as his sounding board? I know he has to take the "P plates" off sooner or later, but has anybody given him any actual help?

I'm just about done with Barrett. The presser last night said it all...that is, he said nothing, just the same old same old wishy washy excuses. And DCE didn't show - leaves it to poor Jake to front the media.
I watch Ricky Stewart in his pressers and he's not backward in coming forward. If his players deserve criticism, he doesn't hold back.
I watched Bellamy today at half time barking to his players, demanding an improvement, laying down the law. He doesn't hold back either.
As @niccipops says, TB is too nice. He gives the impression he does hold back, there's no emotion, no passion rammed into the team. Similarly, DCE holds back his emotion too. I get so frustrated watching him behind the goalposts with the team, waiting for the opposition to kick a goal - he should yelling at his players and encouraging them, instead of quietly standing there and just being one of the boys.
In all fairness to Tooves, if its such a results driven business, then Barrett's surely had his chance and should be moved on as well.
Maybe it's time for us fans to be contacting Gorman. I think the fans deserve a forum to seriously discuss the future of our club, playing group and staff. We are traditionally successful, not rabble. All we hear is positive. Smiley Instagrams. The same press conference week in week out. We can't criticise the effort...blah blah.
What's going on now isn't working and we need change. Although I'll never forgive him for ruining the 2011 GF celebration, I'm beginning to think the answer very well could be Des with someone overseeing his contract dealings.

Barrett has not been doing himself any favours recently with some of his both public and negative coaching related roles and input . Can seriously not make him responsible for the lack of control and direction from our halves in recent games and injury issues but it is a very demanding environment coaching in the N R L and would at least expect to see some improvement at this stage with especially coaching inspired attacking structures and certainly more frank and forthright press conferences of late . Apart from dropping D C E and Hodko, not too sure what really can be done there to get a much better performance level out of them and the forwards have been putting in and not being outplayed . Again just mainly the continuing lack of attacking variety and gaining better field position , and we have our 1. 3 million dollar captain and another experienced play maker supposedly to make this happen . Anyway ten more fixture games to go and irrespective of what views are expressed on here , Barrett"s job will be safe for the remainder of the season . If there is a review at season:s end and things do not seem better by then either on a coaching or playing or atmospheric level . and despite two more years of his contract remaining , no doubt his job will be on the line and would most likely be shown the exit door . . Apart from the complications then with any pay out , not too sure who would be available to offer some thing better but would like to see guys like Ballin and a Manly flavour at least bought back in some capacity .

Time is up for Barrett and Cherry bring back Toovey and at least when we lose we can feel our own interests are in the hands of someone that cares.

Have you ever seen a bloke escape criticism more than TB? In 3 years of dishing up mediocrity and pure "Rocks or Diamonds" efforts his coaching ability has never once come into question in the media, not once. Even at the start of the year when it went bad they blamed DCE, Hastings, The Club, Gladstone Strippers, Injuries, Salary Cap drama (which he was involved in) & Bozo. They even said at one stage that Manly was tarnishing him & bringing him down and he should get out. Every other coach at every other struggling club has come under fire from the media and they have hounded them to their grave, but not Barrett.

I will concede he has had a tough run with Injury but the difference between our best and worst is still so huge and has not improved. This roster is the quick fix him and Bozo wanted. He was part of the assembling of this pile of shyte team which is half superstars half 3rd grade garbage players. It was completely his decision to sign the likes of Lewis Brown, Jackson Hastings and Uate along with being complicit in signing Nate Myles all whilst letting Jamie Buhrer, Clint Gutherson and Matt Parcell sign elsewhere whilst still under contract to accomodate these clowns. Yet he will escape criticism. Every inch of our recruitment whilst he has been around has been garbage and only for the likes of the Turbos coming through our juniors we would be in a seriously bad way.

I said all of this three years ago and was howled down by some on here. Barrett is a myth and always was, but unfortunately we are now in a position where he is our only option so we may suck it up. Piss poor management from the club since 2015.

100% agree with your post @conanu

And the the thing that goes with avoiding any blame or criticism is no pressure on him.

He will not be punted because it wil be an admission of poor judgement sacking Toovey for him.

Have you ever seen a bloke escape criticism more than TB? In 3 years of dishing up mediocrity and pure "Rocks or Diamonds" efforts his coaching ability has never once come into question in the media, not once. Even at the start of the year when it went bad they blamed DCE, Hastings, The Club, Gladstone Strippers, Injuries, Salary Cap drama (which he was involved in) & Bozo. They even said at one stage that Manly was tarnishing him & bringing him down and he should get out. Every other coach at every other struggling club has come under fire from the media and they have hounded them to their grave, but not Barrett.

I will concede he has had a tough run with Injury but the difference between our best and worst is still so huge and has not improved. This roster is the quick fix him and Bozo wanted. He was part of the assembling of this pile of shyte team which is half superstars half 3rd grade garbage players. It was completely his decision to sign the likes of Lewis Brown, Jackson Hastings and Uate along with being complicit in signing Nate Myles all whilst letting Jamie Buhrer, Clint Gutherson and Matt Parcell sign elsewhere whilst still under contract to accomodate these clowns. Yet he will escape criticism. Every inch of our recruitment whilst he has been around has been garbage and only for the likes of the Turbos coming through our juniors we would be in a seriously bad way.

I said all of this three years ago and was howled down by some on here. Barrett is a myth and always was, but unfortunately we are now in a position where he is our only option so we may suck it up. Piss poor management from the club since 2015.
I always tune in to the first 20min of Hadley, generally hoping he's tearing Queen Arthur or greenturd a new one.
Today I was curious to see if he turned the blowtorch on Trent.
I really already knew the answer but yeah he skipped over it.
Hell rip into Lyall at any given chance but the koala escapes criticism because he's his buddy's appointment.
Lucky boy.

100% agree with your post @conanu

And the the thing that goes with avoiding any blame or criticism is no pressure on him.

He will not be punted because it wil be an admission of poor judgement sacking Toovey for him.

You can add penn bozo and co to that list.
The current management team and previous members have never been held accountable in the media for what they have done to this club.
Said it since 2V's we need a clean out of management until then we are and will be a basket case.

My ideal coaching scenario is:
Tooves as football manager (and running the water again) with the Walker Brothers as coaches.
That's a perfect combination of Passion and Pizazzz.

I was one who thought Barrett had something to offer, and maybe in a year or two he might. But his reactions to the crisis Manly are presently experiencing on the field suggest he has lost the plot.

Lets take the Hastings issue as an example. I not disputing that Hastings may have been a problem child and was causing some disharmony. But nothing he has done has justified cancelling his contract, he hasn't brought the game into disrepute through illegal activities, or public stupidity. He's apparently just been a pain in the ... So what is the club doing about it. Nothing it seems other than have him play for the Reggies.

So ask yourself who loses by exiling him for the rest of the season. For Hastings, he may have had his ego knocked about a little, and he doesn't get to play first grade this year, but he's been there before. Nothing New. Meanwhile he is picking up his healthy salary playing against opposition players of a lower standard. He may want to play first grade, but hey, I'm still being paid, he is saying.

Now how does it affect the Sea Eagles. Well No 1 we are down one player available should injury occur, and we are now seeing with the injury to Api just how damaging that is becoming. We are down one of the more creative players, who in recent close matches may just have been the extra element to win some of those games. We have been down a goal kicker. We have only one hooker of note in the 30. Manly are losing far more by exiling Hastings, than Hastings is losing. Does that show common sense

Look, if we were playing back yard or district footie, exiling someone doesn't hurt much. You lose a good player, but for the enjoyment of the game, that may be justified. But NRL teams are big business. A lot of money is involved and winning and losing are everything. You cant afford to reduce your available back up players. Maybe Hastings doesn't get on with the other players. But hey, this is a business. They are playing for big bucks. They are not there to be coddled. They are there to win. And if that means they have to play with someone they don't like but may just get you over the line, worrying about hurt feelings is way down the priority list. If the player misbehaves, sack him for a match or two, fine him, but don't exile him, because that hurts the club more than the player. In my mind Barrett is blundering here and showing he's not ready to manage players effectively.

Then comes the selection policy. I've said before Barrett seems caught in inertia and when he does act, its forced on him by factors out of his control. He keeps using the same structures and tactics on the field that have now been identified by other clubs. He's not adapting. He's using the same players who have consistently not offered more than safe and slow, and not showing a little flair and risk by bringing up players like Tom Wright. Maybe he's worried he's not ready, but if your team is consistently losing you've got to try something different. To date he has done the same tired things over and again and we all sit back knowing the consequence.

Barrett needs someone to come up and say to him, wake up lad, you are coaching an NRL side and your reputation is on the line if you don't come up with something that works. Having a CV in future that reads the first 'wooden spoon' of the Sea Eagles club, is not going to earn you kudos and future opportunities. Other coaches will say you're doing a good job because they will support each other. Don't listen to them. I've always believed it best to listen to those who constructively criticise, rather than pat you on the back. That's how you learn.

Get your eye back on the ball Trent before you embarrass yourself further. Take charge, do what has to be done to win. Otherwise go back and coach park football.

If he walks, he's showed he is a failure. Again not a good look on his CV, no matter how he justifies it.

I'm sorry, Barrett has more people around him at his disposal than Toovey and Hasler ever had, and both those existing coaches got us to Grand Finals, winning two, and also had twice the winning percentage as Barrett.

Instead of whingeing and complaining about external factors, and what he doesn't have, how about Trent focus on intensity, passion, aggression and up tempo football, with what he does have?

He set the benchmark with DCE, when DCE completely disregarded Barrett's instruction and went out. Then he gives DCE a tiny slap in the wrist.

He's lost Trent. The problem I see is that he has an experienced, well travelled what was a senior head coach at another club as his assistant (the guy who laughed at Barrett when we were getting flogged by Panthers) in Cartwright.

So no excuses anymore. Lift your game Manly. Bring pride back to the jersey.

I'm sorry, Barrett has more people around him at his disposal than Toovey and Hasler ever had, and both those existing coaches got us to Grand Finals, winning two, and also had twice the winning percentage as Barrett.

Instead of whingeing and complaining about external factors, and what he doesn't have, how about Trent focus on intensity, passion, aggression and up tempo football, with what he does have?

He set the benchmark with DCE, when DCE completely disregarded Barrett's instruction and went out. Then he gives DCE a tiny slap in the wrist.

He's lost Trent. The problem I see is that he has an experienced, well travelled what was a senior head coach at another club as his assistant (the guy who laughed at Barrett when we were getting flogged by Panthers) in Cartwright.

So no excuses anymore. Lift your game Manly. Bring pride back to the jersey.

He may have people around him, but what are they saying to him. His lack of initiative suggests these are pat on the back types, not offering constructive criticism. If they were offering such criticism, then we would see changes in tactics. Otherwise he is not listening to them.

He may have people around him, but what are they saying to him. His lack of initiative suggests these are pat on the back types, not offering constructive criticism. If they were offering such criticism, then we would see changes in tactics. Otherwise he is not listening to them.
Absolutely agree with everything you're saying.

The whole club is in slow motion.

These players all need to look at each other in the eye, and admit to each other why they are letting one and other down.

Belrose Eagles would out muscle and out enthuse these players. And I'm not saying that to be pedantic, they would literally beat this team.

Our energy, passion, tempo is literally embarrassing. We have the slowest, most lethargic play the ball and ruck speed in the competition, and I don't mean this year. I mean ever.

Remember years ago, when Fatty made the players respond to fans, and the fans frustrations through social media, and the response from them on the field was immediate?

Sounds horrible, but these players need to be called out. Show some damned pride. You're not wearing Bears jerseys. You're wearing the maroon and white FFS.

Remember only a month or 2 ago he was calling Phil Gould to discuss how bad the situation was...
Gus alluded he would walk.

I don't think Baz even knows if he wants to be at Manly.

Nobody in their right mind would want to coach Manly. How sad this club had become!

Remember only a month or 2 ago he was calling Phil Gould to discuss how bad the situation was...
Gus alluded he would walk.

I don't think Baz even knows if he wants to be at Manly.
I don't think he had anywhere to walk to...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8