Roosters’ cap crisis could send star to rugby, and force half to rival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They've signed Dominic Young, N Brown. J. Paulo, J Turpin, S Leniu, upgraded Sualli, Butcher, Radley then they have players on very good money in Manu, Crichton, Collins, Smith, Toupeniua, Keary, Walker and Tedesco, not to mention the rest of the squad, yet we're to believe that there's nothing to see here!
Throw this is as well

Smith signed a four-year contract valued at $4.4 million and will be an unrestricted free agent beginning in 2026. Smith will be paid a base salary of $705,000 in the 2022 season.That annual base salary will increase to &870,000 in 2023, to $985,000 in 2024, and up to $1.1 million in 2025

Throw this is as well

Smith signed a four-year contract valued at $4.4 million and will be an unrestricted free agent beginning in 2026. Smith will be paid a base salary of $705,000 in the 2022 season.That annual base salary will increase to &870,000 in 2023, to $985,000 in 2024, and up to $1.1 million in 2025
Brandon Smith? Why would they pay him in 2022 when he didn't join them until this year?

As for the figures, yes various journos love to 'report' player contract details but no-one knows for sure. As someone recently posted, there is a pretty strong argument against keeping player contracts hidden from view. Everyone knows what public servants are paid, same with sports people in most major leagues around the world. What are they frightened of?

Nathan Brown signs on with Roosters for the remainder of 2023……Tallis going right off haha! And everyone convinced they don’t rort the salary cap…….oh but he’s gone to the Roosters because of the culture & less money……..yeah right Lolol!!

Interesting that we could not afford his asking price, but the Roosters had plenty left in their cap.
And he signed for unders as every player wants to play for the Rorters. 🤔

What I don’t understand is Parra wanted a swap with Manly for Morgan Harper and yet Parra ‘gift’ him to the Roosters.

I reckon there’s another arrangement we may not see until year’s end.

Throw this is as well

That only adds up to $3,660,000?

PS & I thought backended contracts were forbidden now?

What I don’t understand is Parra wanted a swap with Manly for Morgan Harper and yet Parra ‘gift’ him to the Roosters.

I reckon there’s another arrangement we may not see until year’s end.
Roosters released a player today,so that freed up a spot in their 30 and given the difference in salaries between Harper and Brown, I suspect there would not have been just a straight swap.

Last edited:
Never said it was a big name player but it was a top 30 player so it opened up a spot for Brown.My point is that the signing of Brown should not bring out the boring,repetitive salary sombrero calls
Never said you did. I was just emphasising that he was a not big name player and its not a sombrero, its a circus tent :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Throw this is as well

If that is true that is way overs!! Insane. He’s not a million dollar player. It can’t be right.

Brandon Smith? Why would they pay him in 2022 when he didn't join them until this year?

As for the figures, yes various journos love to 'report' player contract details but no-one knows for sure. As someone recently posted, there is a pretty strong argument against keeping player contracts hidden from view. Everyone knows what public servants are paid, same with sports people in most major leagues around the world. What are they frightened of?
That only adds up to $3,660,000?

PS & I thought backended contracts were forbidden now?
If that is true that is way overs!! Insane. He’s not a million dollar player. It can’t be right.
SER8 I just did a basic google on B Smiths contract, I noticed the 22 error as well, but still I just copied and pasted those details as found to add some weight to swoops post.

47MVE, I did the same and questioned the the numbers as you did, but again it was about adding weight to swoops post as he’d left B Smith off his list. I‘ve read elsewhere his on 800k a year, so who knows.

Shoe1, I don‘t disagree, thing is it’s not so much what B Smith earns or is worth, I just tend to agree with Swoop, Gordie and those that are questioning the Rorters ability to fit the talent they have in their squad under the cap, on the surface of things it doesn’t seem possible, it has a bad smell about it and I think those questioning it are right to do so. For me, it pretty much seems like where there’s smoke there’s usually fire.

Wouldn’t hurt to NRL to protect the integrity of the cap and look into their roster, remembering we couldn’t sign Gifty for unders, if alls above board, then well and good, if not, then you would like to think there would be consequences.

SER8 I just did a basic google on B Smiths contract, I noticed the 22 error as well, but still I just copied and pasted those details as found to add some weight to swoops post.

47MVE, I did the same and questioned the the numbers as you did, but again it was about adding weight to swoops post as he’d left B Smith off his list. I‘ve read elsewhere his on 800k a year, so who knows.

Shoe1, I don‘t disagree, thing is it’s not so much what B Smith earns or is worth, I just tend to agree with Swoop, Gordie and those that are questioning the Rorters ability to fit the talent they have in their squad under the cap, on the surface of things it doesn’t seem possible, it has a bad smell about it and I think those questioning it are right to do so. For me, it pretty much seems like where there’s smoke there’s usually fire.

Wouldn’t hurt to NRL to protect the integrity of the cap and look into their roster, remembering we couldn’t sign Gifty for unders, if alls above board, then well and good, if not, then you would like to think there would be consequences.
It is probably an authentic example of Brandon Smith “doing the math” :0) “let me see yeah that’s 4.5 million or sumfn”

Wouldn’t hurt to NRL to protect the integrity of the cap and look into their roster, remembering we couldn’t sign Gifty for unders, if alls above board, then well and good, if not, then you would like to think there would be consequence
Nothing to see! Good roster management @:D

At a glance – Chooks have got
  • the current Test captain
  • plus current Test mega-stars Manu and Sualii
  • plus 3 other backs who’ve played Origin
  • plus Sam Walker
  • plus 5 current Test forwards
  • and now they’ve added another forward with Origin experience
  • and for next year signed 2 of the games best young stars!! Dom Young and Spencer Leniu
Does make it extremely amusing when they fail to win though!

Can see the Roosters signing a rep player for season 2024 on top of who they already have signed and saying yeah we let Brown go which has given us enough space in the cap.

They always sign them for under's but they leave after being on big dollars.

Nothing to see! Good roster management @:D

At a glance – Chooks have got
  • the current Test captain
  • plus current Test mega-stars Manu and Sualii
  • plus 3 other backs who’ve played Origin
  • plus Sam Walker
  • plus 5 current Test forwards
  • and now they’ve added another forward with Origin experience
  • and for next year signed 2 of the games best young stars!! Dom Young and Spencer Leniu
Does make it extremely amusing when they fail to win though!
Agreed, but it won’t be funny if they happen to salute in Oct.

current Test mega-stars Manu and Sualii
IMO, Sua'ali'i is over hyped. His game is all about power & height. He doesn't seem to have the same footy smarts as other young players - I doubt he has many NRL try assists yet. His King's College union team mate Penisini is arguably a better player and there's no way I'd swap Koula for Sua'ali'i

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2