Resting DCE and Turbo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Compare sims and hunt. They were very fatigued in the second half, particularly sims.
True, the Dragons were in a totally different situation and rolled the dice with those two backing up and the suspensions.

way too many doomsdayers in here .. have faith in the team and the coach...
Too many butt scratching arm chair coaches that think coaching is all about team list Tuesday on here, il love to see any of us coach 1 session at training with plays and tactics and which set of players will work which moves, plan Bs, contingencies etc etc... lot of NFI freddies with glazed stares id say. Back to butt scratcing for us and let Des do what a professional coach does, rightly or wrongly hes got his own thoughts which are 1000% better than anything we could dream of doing.

Too many butt scratching arm chair coaches that think coaching is all about team list Tuesday on here, il love to see any of us coach 1 session at training with plays and tactics and which set of players will work which moves, plan Bs, contingencies etc etc... lot of NFI freddies with glazed stares id say. Back to butt scratcing for us and let Des do what a professional coach does, rightly or wrongly hes got his own thoughts which are 1000% better than anything we could dream of doing.

Hey I do a lot of butt scratching. But then I love chilli, curry, garlic and wasabi on just about everything. Not wise to get to close to me though.

What I like about Des is that when he is forced to stand down DCE and Turbo because of Origin commitments he refuses to coach for the win. But when it is his decision to rest them he goes for gold. That is the sign of a great coaching mastermind.

the sandlot wtf GIF

For some, it seems whenever Des is right, he's still wrong. Then there's the blessed injuries which have resulted in turning our season around - let's not forget those wonderful injuries.

But but but
It's pretty easy being an NRL 1st grade coach when you have thousands of experts to tell you what to do.

That's a silly argument. DESpicable is a professional coach and is very well paid for it. Of course he should know more than anyone except another professional coach. But that doesn't mean he is always correct or free from judgement.
We have opinions on politicians, personalities, neighbours, refugees, retirees, other professions.... even if we have never walked in their shoes.
I like to think that many of us on this Forum are knowledgeable enough about rugby league to comment on each game day performance. It is irrelevant how the training sessions go. The only result that matters is how well the team plays.

That's a silly argument. DESpicable is a professional coach and is very well paid for it. Of course he should know more than anyone except another professional coach. But that doesn't mean he is always correct or free from judgement.
We have opinions on politicians, personalities, neighbours, refugees, retirees, other professions.... even if we have never walked in their shoes.
I like to think that many of us on this Forum are knowledgeable enough about rugby league to comment on each game day performance. It is irrelevant how the training sessions go. The only result that matters is how well the team plays.
Pfft ..Hindsight coaching and unqualified opinions thats whats silly! please. We have NFI about what it takes to coach... come to think of it ill tell my plumber how to fix the plumbing next rime because Im qualified to since ive seen what pipes look like ....

Pfft ..Hindsight coaching and unqualified opinions thats whats silly! please. We have NFI about what it takes to coach... come to think of it ill tell my plumber how to fix the plumbing next rime because Im qualified to since ive seen what pipes look like ....
If you want to use the plumber analogy:
I trained as a plumber for many years (played rugby and RL, including one SOO match), I've watched plumbers work (Rugby League) for some 60 years, I know what sewerage is (I've seen plenty of ordinary RL players and coaches) . . .

If you want to use the plumber analogy:
I trained as a plumber for many years (played rugby and RL, including one SOO match), I've watched plumbers work (Rugby League) for some 60 years, I know what sewerage is (I've seen plenty of ordinary RL players and coaches) . .
The point which you seem to be missing is that anything we think as arm chair coaches means SFA.. to keep having our self entitled opinions is futile and wont change a damn thing.. to keep speculating what could have been done week in week out is just moronic. No one here is the coach of Manly but Des and he will do what he thinks is best if we like it or not he is better than us all... btw congrats on playing SOO great achievement , but so did plenty others who don’t/can’t coach... just sayin.

Last edited:
The point which you seem to be missing is that anything we think as arm chair coaches means SFA.. to keep having our self entitled opinions is futile and wont change a damn thing.. to keep speculating what could have been done week in week out is just moronic. No one here is the coach of Manly but Des and he will do what he thinks is best if we like it or not he is better than us all... btw congrats on playing SOO great achievement , but so did plenty others who don’t/can’t coach... just sayin.
Thank you for your congratulations on playing SOO. I have to come clean, I played for NSW V Queensland in a Journalists' Cup match on the Gold Coast in 1971, which was an annual event and probably sparked the idea for the actual SOO. It was a reasonable standard, and quite violent. There were a few well known journos in both teams.

I doubt Des would have kept DCE off the field if Schuster was still injured. He needed play makers to support Foran and he got it today.

Which despite that he went OK on Friday, suggests that Des only considers Cust as an injury replacement player and not as a first grade starter.

Truth be told, if we were playing any of the top 4 sides on Friday night, at the very least Cherry would have played. I think it was because we were playing an expected to be depleted St Merge that Des took the punt to rest him.

Tom I never expected to play even if we had been playing Melbourne or Penrith.

Which despite that he went OK on Friday, suggests that Des only considers Cust as an injury replacement player and not as a first grade starter.
I'm sure Cust would walk into First Grade in several teams. I'd retain him if possible. DCE won't last forever.

I'm sure Cust would walk into First Grade in several teams. I'd retain him if possible. DCE won't last forever.

With some of the teams, he probably would walk straight in. I just don't think he's in what Des considers his best XVII.

Thank you for your congratulations on playing SOO. I have to come clean, I played for NSW V Queensland in a Journalists' Cup match on the Gold Coast in 1971, which was an annual event and probably sparked the idea for the actual SOO. It was a reasonable standard, and quite violent. There were a few well known journos in both teams.
Did Peter Peters play some of those old Journalist cup matches?

This is one of those great hind sight posts..
Yes I agree it's good these guys were rested.. because we won..
Had we lost, we would have given up a 4 point buffer to be in a shootout with 5 other teams for 7 and 8th spot..

I was filthy we rested players as we NEEDED to win last night, and we switched on for 20 minutes in the second half to make that happen... Could have been a very different story had we not, and nobody woulda been happy to rest the players had we lost last night
Coach has to show belief in his players that they can get the job done doesn't have to be pretty but will help with confidence down the track if the unthinkable happens and we lose Turbo or Chez to injury

I think he's a decent first grade half or 5/8, just not in the DCE, Schuster Foran class. Maybe in time he might be but I suspect it will be in another club..

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8