Realistically is 2019 a Top 8 Shot ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Mate, unlike most here I think Barrett offered a lot more than suggested. I don't think he was afforded all the tools to do his job properly. He wasn't afforded all the staff and resources Des has been provided.

Now, I love Des, Monnas, Ballin and Donny, and think we will improve, but not with the instant magic wand people think, and I also think people are going to be disappointed a fair bit next season, because expectation is being set way too high (and I'm trying to temper that a little).

The best teams these days (on paper) DO win (see Storm, Roosters etc). Even The Sharks were stacked their Premiership Year.

Now, as for things changing, I see exactly the same behavioural traits in our players today on social media as I always did, so I don't see a cultural movement at all, like people claim will happen under Des. Suli aside (I'm not ragging on him anymore), Fainu appears to be partying every single day. His perogative of course, but not what the club said was going to change.

See when you really look at it, has Des really been given a huge amount more than Trent Barrett?

Barrett’s team

Assistants - John Cartwright and Chad Randall (Des has the same for 2019).

Head of Strength and Conditioning/Performance - Dan Ferris, whom Barrett wanted initially when he came in and was extended earlier this year to keep him appeased. (Des has recruited Don Singe for the same position).

Head Physiotherapist - Andre Richenbach - Long time Manly’s Physio. (Des has brought in James Rahme from the Dogs).

Under 20’s Coach - Wayne Lambkin, experienced lower grade coach. (Des has brought in Matt Ballin with little coaching experience at that level. Ballin also made it known he had been looking to become more involved with the club for some time so potentially there was the opportunity for Barrett to have utilised him).

List Manager/Recruitment - An area the club has been looking for (for some time admittedly), however if Barrett stayed he would have been afforded this position within his team, which is now filled by Noel Cleal.

The appointment of a Pathways Coach to sit over the coaching structure of the elite player pathway and to become a third NRL assistant coach was announced in August, prior to Barrett leaving.

He had three years at this club and during that time little to nothing improved. Our culture disappeared and on field our performances we’re extremely poor - I feel a good coach would have done more during their tender.

Quote ....
"Mate, unlike most here I think Barrett offered a lot more than suggested. I don't think he was afforded all the tools to do his job properly "

Mate, my answer to your quote is that Barrett was not the sharpest tool in the shed as far as head coaching goes . No idea mate . No fcking idea lol

Which players are not partying in the off season ? I have been working at venues all over Sydney over the years and I see players from every club party during the season and off season .
What do you think young players do after footy game mate ? .

View attachment 10454
When Jack Gibson started his 3 year tenure at Parramatta the only tools/resources he had was, other than an extraordinary coaching ability, Ron Massey and a fur coat, a mix of players on the way out and players on the way up.
He didn't even have a home ground for the last 2 years.
They played at belmore and trained at Granville and gained that useless club 3 from 3 premierships.
Yet here's the mug that we had for 3 years complaining about his lack of resources.
F*ck me gently.

(Des has brought in James Rahme from the Dogs).
Oooh dear. Is that the 'she don't like, dead Canada beaver' guy?
The poor players will never be able to understand what he's saying about managing their injuries.

The squad compared to others overall could struggle at times in 2019, but there are some quality juniors and hope to maybe surprise a few also.
The pack is competitive and with Des pouring on the salt and pepper, expect more aggression.
Need 2-3 surprise packets to shine and become house hold names, which is always the start of a new dynasty also....there is the quality sprinkled about the team to help make this happen.
Maybe a bit over optimistic here but I am calling a 7-8 finish and some big scalps along the way....with not enough to compete come finals time.....almost the build up to our successful period, with the addition of 2 more quality players by 2020 to be serious contenders.
Des and the staff will create some energy lacking recently, but are not magicians.....the competitive nature will certainly help ensure the intensity is there which is a great thing to build on and sneak into the 8 by a feather...
What's the thoughts - is Top 8 a show, or is it No go ??
With no good centers we are in trouble. Depends on the walker situation the guys a winner and could form a deadly combo with dce and turbo on the right side... or we lose him and we have to have who? Parker? Elliot? Suli? This walker has put us in a bad situation especially with kelly now gone

This thread is a waste of bandwidth

Top 4 or bust with a coach this time around
Top 4 cmon mate we came 2nd last and now we have both centers out or gone! We will be lucky to make the 8 under these circumstances. Yes barrett was a crap coach but now with walker possibly getting sacked or at least be out for a few months we are in big trouble little China my friend. Lets hope Dessy boy can conjure something

When Jack Gibson started his 3 year tenure at Parramatta the only tools/resources he had was, other than an extraordinary coaching ability, Ron Massey and a fur coat, a mix of players on the way out and players on the way up.
He didn't even have a home ground for the last 2 years.
They played at belmore and trained at Granville and gained that useless club 3 from 3 premierships.
Yet here's the mug that we had for 3 years complaining about his lack of resources.
F*ck me gently.
The best essential tools players need to deliver on the field is a shrewd game plan and uplifting motivation from their coach and mentor to go with it . No point of having great facilities and plenty of support staff if they cant have those two winning essentials .

My ambitions for us for 2019 are pretty simple. More aggression and mongrel in the forwards, nice structure and organisation in attack and having a red hot crack every game for 80 mins. Rome wasn't built in a day. If we improve in many areas and look like a team with some direction and on the up I'll be happy.

My ambitions for us for 2019 are pretty simple. More aggression and mongrel in the forwards, nice structure and organisation in attack and having a red hot crack every game for 80 mins. Rome wasn't built in a day. If we improve in many areas and look like a team with some direction and on the up I'll be happy.

Agree mate. Under Barrett we looked unfit, unmotivated and uncoached. With little to zero structure.

Under Des there is little doubt all areas will improve. But I think like you said it will take time.
Will take at least a year for Des to stamp his authority and style.

9th-12th for me

With the addition of players 2020 will be much better..

Defence is where We should see improvement with Des. He has always had well structured defensive sides. Our defence has been at times non existent for periods over the past three years and if we improve that our ladder position will also no doubt improve to some degree.

What games have you been watching last season mate ? Defensively last season our centres were the worst in the comp . Walker was again selected in the position he does not excel at 5/8. These young blokes vying for spots surely cant be any worse than what we had last season under CoCo boy . Des will provide structure and I see hope and improvement big time in 2019 !
First of all our defensive structure and ruck control were never great under Barrett so these issues with our defence out wide was not primarily related to both players---even though they both make errors in this department.(Both under Hasler would perform much better in this aspect of the game)

Secondly what i am referring to is that we are starting again with two new centres, this position especially defensively takes years to hone so we are on the back foot from the start, even under Hasler. Walker and Kelly at least had a few years under their belts and could build upon and learn from errors in the past.

If Manly can control the ruck better and improve our fitness plus attitude we wont be as exposed/thinned out for numbers, or require as many critical out-wide up and in decision making.

In 2017 we won most of those close games... in 2018 it feels like we lost most of the close games and unlosable games... if Des can get the defence in order than we are every bit a chance of sneaking into the 8!

Maybe not deep into finals but all you need is a bit of luck!

2017 vs. 2019 - (Upgrade vs. downgrade)
01. Tom Trbojevic vs. Tom Trbojevic (Same)
02. Jorge Taufua vs. Jorge Taufua (Downgrade)
03. Brian Kelly vs. Moses Suli (Large Downgrade)
04. Dylan Walker vs. Reuben Garrick (Huge Downgrade)
05. Akuila Uate vs. Brendan Elliott (large Downgrade)
06. Blake Green vs. Kane Elgey (small downgrade)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans vs. Daly Cherry Evans (Same)

3 players out of 7 will be the same. That's 4 players out of 7 who are different or 58%

In the backline, we've also lost Jono Wright, Matthew Wright, Tom Wright, Jackson Hastings, Pita Godinet & Cameron Cullen.

Fowards wise, we've lost (from 2017): Billy Bainbridge, Lewis Brown, Jarrad Kennedy, Shaun Lane, Brenton Lawrence, Darcy Lussick, Nate Myles
Forwards wise, we've gained (from 2017):
Corey Waddell (downgrade on Lane)
Joel Thompson (large upgrade on Nate Myles)
Kelepi Tanginoa (same as Brenton Lawrence)
Manase Fainu (upgrade on Lewis Brown)
Taniela Paseka (upgrade on Darcy Lussick)
Toafofoa Sipley (upgrade on Jarrad Kennedy)

2017 vs. 2019 - (Upgrade vs. downgrade)
08. Brentan Lawrence vs. Marty Taupau (Huge upgrade)
09. Apisai Koroisou vs. Apisai Koroisou (upgrade as he was absent 2018)
10. Nate Myles vs. Addin Fonuia Blake (continuous upgrade)
11. Marty Taupua vs. Joel Thompson (Downgrade)
12. Curtis Sironen vs. Curtis Sironen (Upgrade as he was absent 2018)
13. Jake Trbojevic vs Jake Trbojevic (same)

14. Lewis Brown vs. Manase Fainu (upgrade)
15. Addin Fonua-Blake vs. Kelepi Tanginoa (Downgrade)
16. Darcy Lussick vs. Taniela Paseka (Upgrade, I'll be kind)
17. Shaun Lane vs. Corey Waddell (Downgrade)

5 players out of 10 will be the same. That's 5 players out of 10 who are different or 50%

Stats
Out of a starting 17, potentially 9 players 52% of the entire team will be different.
Based on my reckoning, we will have:
8 Downgrades
3 Staying the same
6 upgrades

Mate, we'll be a very different proposition, and the numbers / quality of players aren't trending in the right direction.

That's also not taking into consideration things like:
X DV cases
X Lude photo's on Snapchat
X Health / Weight issues
X Growing party culture

We are a huge long shot of making the 8 next season. That said, I expect positivity, and movement in the right direction. Thinking 10th - 13th.
If walker goes we make a big signing

If walker goes we make a big signing

That all depends on who is available. If nothing is known of Walker's fate until the end of January, at that stage there may not be anyone even half decent on the market to sign before the season. One of the rookies or someone like Suli or Parker may well be the only option we have.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8