Realistically is 2019 a Top 8 Shot ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Could come down to Dessie's game plans, getting a bit stale the old fella. But like our players the change should work in all our favours!

Tom T to centres?

Tom's fullback play should continue to develop next year under the mentoring of Brett Stewart. Perhaps 'Technical Coach' is thinking of Tafua, Parker or Thompson?

Last edited:
Tom's fullback play should continue to develop next year under the mentoring of Brett Stewart. Perhaps 'Technical Coach' is thinking of Tafua, Parker or Thompson?
Thompson started his nrl playing centre for the raiders. Maybe worth looking at.

2017 vs. 2019 - (Upgrade vs. downgrade)

01. Tom Trbojevic vs. Tom Trbojevic (Same) :heavymultiply:
02. Jorge Taufua vs. Jorge Taufua (Downgrade) :heavycheck:
03. Brian Kelly vs. Moses Suli (Large Downgrade) :heavycheck:
04. Dylan Walker vs. Reuben Garrick (Huge Downgrade) :heavycheck:
05. Akuila Uate vs. Brendan Elliott (large Downgrade) :heavycheck:
06. Blake Green vs. Kane Elgey (small downgrade) :heavycheck:
07. Daly Cherry-Evans vs. Daly Cherry Evans (Same) :heavymultiply:

I disagreed with Tom because I think he has more confidence these days. I also think that he'll be a lot fitter with Donny running that show than with that fraud Ferris. And DCE mostly because I think he is a better player now. Before he couldn't game manage to save himself, but through necessity in 2018, he had to improve that side of his game and did. Unfortunately, as much as he improved, being the only half on the ground for most of 2018 hurt him a bit because he couldn't do it alone.

It remains to be seen if Dylan Walker plays or not.

08. Brentan Lawrence vs. Marty Taupau (Huge upgrade) :heavycheck:
09. Apisai Koroisou vs. Apisai Koroisou (upgrade as he was absent 2018) :heavycheck:
10. Nate Myles vs. Addin Fonuia Blake (continuous upgrade) :heavycheck:
11. Marty Taupua vs. Joel Thompson (Downgrade) :heavymultiply:
12. Curtis Sironen vs. Curtis Sironen (Upgrade as he was absent 2018) :heavycheck:
13. Jake Trbojevic vs Jake Trbojevic (same) :heavycheck:

14. Lewis Brown vs. Manase Fainu (upgrade) :heavycheck:
15. Addin Fonua-Blake vs. Kelepi Tanginoa (Downgrade) :heavycheck:
16. Darcy Lussick vs. Taniela Paseka (Upgrade, I'll be kind) :heavycheck:
17. Shaun Lane vs. Corey Waddell (Downgrade) :heavycheck:

I wouldn't say Joel Thompson in the back row is a downgrade on Marty. Sure Kapow can play in the back row, but he didn't have the speed on the edges, nor was he actually used properly when Barrett played him there (I lost count of the amount of times that Walker at 5/8 crowded him on the left and failed to get him decent ball. In one game against Souffs at Brookie, numerous times there was only Adam Reynolds between Marty and the try line.....and Walks failed to pass him the ball or did when it was too late and Reynolds had gotten forwards help). The best thing that happened was Marty was moved to prop where he's been a lot more effective, and Walks back to centre.

Personally, I think our top 17 can be a top 8 side. Our problem will be if we get injuries. We don't exactly have a lot of quality in depth right now. And that's not just in the backs, halves or forwards.....that's everywhere.

In the backs, of those you didn't mention the first choice reserves will probably be Parker and Hopoate. A mediocre and a talented but untried rookie. In the halves, its Hodkinson. Talent is there, probably the clubs best goal kicker, but suspect whether he can provide for 80. After that, with Croker on the development list there is very little in the way of first grade or even NSW Cup experience. And in the forwards, first drop would probably be someone like Perrett. He's not bad, but hasn't really kicked on and his heat stroke episode last year set him back a bit. We're definitely going to miss Shaun Lane.

Last edited:
Bar humbug.

Top 4 all the way. Originally I was thinking about 10 - 8 but i see a Fairy tale in the making.

With the band of brothers coming back together in Ballen, snake and possibly more anything could happen.

TT could with some guidance from snake take a huge step forward. The forward pack with the right attitude could be great. A manly us against the world attitude could return. Ballen was Mr indestructible and a bit of that could also rub off on the team. Fitness shouldn't be an issue under Donny. Dessie might tear off his fair share of doors and scare the ****e out of some of the boys.

Of course none of the above could always happen and if that's the case were stuffed. Just covering my bets.

Losing two centres is a big loss especially defensively as they have to be pro-active decision makers snuffing out potential overlaps, helping weaker inside shoulder defenders, yet also have to be calm and collected not coming in too early and leaving the winger exposed.

I could see a really good season if Manly went in with both Walker and Kelly, there is so much punch in the forwards to create enough space and opportunities to pile on points through the middle or out wide with creative halves even in the early stages---- but i worry about the composure of our defensive line big time.

There could be one big positional change during the year for a player who is already showing signs that he is plateauing out development wise.
What games have you been watching last season mate ? Defensively last season our centres were the worst in the comp . Walker was again selected in the position he does not excel at 5/8. These young blokes vying for spots surely cant be any worse than what we had last season under CoCo boy . Des will provide structure and I see hope and improvement big time in 2019 !

01. Tom Trbojevic vs. Tom Trbojevic (Same)
02. Jorge Taufua vs. Jorge Taufua (Downgrade)
03. Brian Kelly vs. Moses Suli (Large Downgrade)
04. Dylan Walker vs. Reuben Garrick (Huge Downgrade)
05. Akuila Uate vs. Brendan Elliott (large Downgrade)
06. Blake Green vs. Kane Elgey (small downgrade)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans vs. Daly Cherry Evans (Same)

3 players out of 7 will be the same. That's 4 players out of 7 who are different or 58%

In the backline, we've also lost Jono Wright, Matthew Wright, Tom Wright, Jackson Hastings, Pita Godinet & Cameron Cullen.

Fowards wise, we've lost (from 2017): Billy Bainbridge, Lewis Brown, Jarrad Kennedy, Shaun Lane, Brenton Lawrence, Darcy Lussick, Nate Myles
Forwards wise, we've gained (from 2017):
Corey Waddell (downgrade on Lane)
Joel Thompson (large upgrade on Nate Myles)
Kelepi Tanginoa (same as Brenton Lawrence)
Manase Fainu (upgrade on Lewis Brown)
Taniela Paseka (upgrade on Darcy Lussick)
Toafofoa Sipley (upgrade on Jarrad Kennedy)

08. Brentan Lawrence vs. Marty Taupau (Huge upgrade)
09. Apisai Koroisou vs. Apisai Koroisou (upgrade as he was absent 2018)
10. Nate Myles vs. Addin Fonuia Blake (continuous upgrade)
11. Marty Taupua vs. Joel Thompson (Downgrade)
12. Curtis Sironen vs. Curtis Sironen (Upgrade as he was absent 2018)
13. Jake Trbojevic vs Jake Trbojevic (same)

14. Lewis Brown vs. Manase Fainu (upgrade)
15. Addin Fonua-Blake vs. Kelepi Tanginoa (Downgrade)
16. Darcy Lussick vs. Taniela Paseka (Upgrade, I'll be kind)
17. Shaun Lane vs. Corey Waddell (Downgrade)

5 players out of 10 will be the same. That's 5 players out of 10 who are different or 50%

Stats
Out of a starting 17, potentially 9 players 52% of the entire team will be different.
Based on my reckoning, we will have:
8 Downgrades
3 Staying the same
6 upgrades

Mate, we'll be a very different proposition, and the numbers / quality of players aren't trending in the right direction.

That's also not taking into consideration things like:
X DV cases
X Lude photo's on Snapchat
X Health / Weight issues
X Growing party culture

We are a huge long shot of making the 8 next season. That said, I expect positivity, and movement in the right direction. Thinking 10th - 13th.
2019 is an unknown factor . Games are not won on paper and a different culture under a proven and more experienced coach makes a difference .
Another factor you did not mention was that our 2017 team was defensively bottom 3 in the NRL . In fact all our teams in the 3 years under the inexperienced and incompetent CoCo boy were bottom 3 worst defensive team in the comp . Des will be a massive upgrade to Co Co boy . The only way is up

0386aa7bdb3cdfc3ea1614c2ac081b6c (1).png

Realistically this is the biggest factor in 2019 ....
How can any team progress under this attitude from their leader and mentor under adversity .
Show us the way enlightened one .......Under adversity on the field our team became quitters like their mentor .
We Des (perately) needed a massive culture change and we are getting it
download (1).jpg

2019 is an unknown factor . Games are not won on paper and a different culture under a proven and more experienced coach makes a difference .
Another factor you did not mention was that our 2017 team was defensively bottom 3 in the NRL . In fact all our teams in the 3 years under the inexperienced and incompetent CoCo boy were bottom 3 worst defensive team in the comp . Des will be a massive upgrade to Co Co boy . The only way is up

View attachment 10452
Mate, unlike most here I think Barrett offered a lot more than suggested. I don't think he was afforded all the tools to do his job properly. He wasn't afforded all the staff and resources Des has been provided.

Now, I love Des, Monnas, Ballin and Donny, and think we will improve, but not with the instant magic wand people think, and I also think people are going to be disappointed a fair bit next season, because expectation is being set way too high (and I'm trying to temper that a little).

The best teams these days (on paper) DO win (see Storm, Roosters etc). Even The Sharks were stacked their Premiership Year.

Now, as for things changing, I see exactly the same behavioural traits in our players today on social media as I always did, so I don't see a cultural movement at all, like people claim will happen under Des. Suli aside (I'm not ragging on him anymore), Fainu appears to be partying every single day. His perogative of course, but not what the club said was going to change.

I’m sorry but I don’t share the love for TB that a few have on here. I went to the first game against the dogs in 2016 and the team were disorganised rabble with the footy and turn styles in defence conceding 28 unanswered points. We saw that frequently and 2 seasons later little changed!

Additionally TBs decision making was poor and at times flawed. His treatment of Hastings in such a public manner was diabolical.

I expect to see us playing structured and controlled footy bleeding far fewer points in 2019. Whether that gets us into the finals will be seen.

Mate, unlike most here I think Barrett offered a lot more than suggested. I don't think he was afforded all the tools to do his job properly. He wasn't afforded all the staff and resources Des has been provided.

Now, I love Des, Monnas, Ballin and Donny, and think we will improve, but not with the instant magic wand people think, and I also think people are going to be disappointed a fair bit next season, because expectation is being set way too high (and I'm trying to temper that a little).

The best teams these days (on paper) DO win (see Storm, Roosters etc). Even The Sharks were stacked their Premiership Year.

Now, as for things changing, I see exactly the same behavioural traits in our players today on social media as I always did, so I don't see a cultural movement at all, like people claim will happen under Des. Suli aside (I'm not ragging on him anymore), Fainu appears to be partying every single day. His perogative of course, but not what the club said was going to change.
Quote ....
"Mate, unlike most here I think Barrett offered a lot more than suggested. I don't think he was afforded all the tools to do his job properly "

Mate, my answer to your quote is that Barrett was not the sharpest tool in the shed as far as head coaching goes . No idea mate . No fcking idea lol

Which players are not partying in the off season ? I have been working at venues all over Sydney over the years and I see players from every club party during the season and off season .
What do you think young players do after footy game mate ? .

170707_SPT_MANLY.jpg

01. Tom Trbojevic vs. Tom Trbojevic (Same)
02. Jorge Taufua vs. Jorge Taufua (Downgrade)
03. Brian Kelly vs. Moses Suli (Large Downgrade)
04. Dylan Walker vs. Reuben Garrick (Huge Downgrade)
05. Akuila Uate vs. Brendan Elliott (large Downgrade)
06. Blake Green vs. Kane Elgey (small downgrade)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans vs. Daly Cherry Evans (Same)

3 players out of 7 will be the same. That's 4 players out of 7 who are different or 58%

In the backline, we've also lost Jono Wright, Matthew Wright, Tom Wright, Jackson Hastings, Pita Godinet & Cameron Cullen.

Fowards wise, we've lost (from 2017): Billy Bainbridge, Lewis Brown, Jarrad Kennedy, Shaun Lane, Brenton Lawrence, Darcy Lussick, Nate Myles
Forwards wise, we've gained (from 2017):
Corey Waddell (downgrade on Lane)
Joel Thompson (large upgrade on Nate Myles)
Kelepi Tanginoa (same as Brenton Lawrence)
Manase Fainu (upgrade on Lewis Brown)
Taniela Paseka (upgrade on Darcy Lussick)
Toafofoa Sipley (upgrade on Jarrad Kennedy)

08. Brentan Lawrence vs. Marty Taupau (Huge upgrade)
09. Apisai Koroisou vs. Apisai Koroisou (upgrade as he was absent 2018)
10. Nate Myles vs. Addin Fonuia Blake (continuous upgrade)
11. Marty Taupua vs. Joel Thompson (Downgrade)
12. Curtis Sironen vs. Curtis Sironen (Upgrade as he was absent 2018)
13. Jake Trbojevic vs Jake Trbojevic (same)

14. Lewis Brown vs. Manase Fainu (upgrade)
15. Addin Fonua-Blake vs. Kelepi Tanginoa (Downgrade)
16. Darcy Lussick vs. Taniela Paseka (Upgrade, I'll be kind)
17. Shaun Lane vs. Corey Waddell (Downgrade)

5 players out of 10 will be the same. That's 5 players out of 10 who are different or 50%

Stats
Out of a starting 17, potentially 9 players 52% of the entire team will be different.
Based on my reckoning, we will have:
8 Downgrades
3 Staying the same
6 upgrades

Mate, we'll be a very different proposition, and the numbers / quality of players aren't trending in the right direction.

That's also not taking into consideration things like:
X DV cases
X Lude photo's on Snapchat
X Health / Weight issues
X Growing party culture

We are a huge long shot of making the 8 next season. That said, I expect positivity, and movement in the right direction. Thinking 10th - 13th.
Nice breakdown there Ryan. Love all the stats stuff.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8