Rainbow Jersey Press Conference

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well done to Des and Cherry for the way that they handled that press conference, but poor form to the club basically sending the captain and coach out to face the wolves.

But as Manly fans I think we're all asking where are the Penn's or the other higher ups who made the decision to wear the pride jumper???

Surely 2 premiership points is worth more than virtue signalling ??
Hi Mark, if you'd seen the presser (I just watched it on the Manly site) and saw the passion with which Des spoke about Ian Roberts, you'd realise it isn't mere virtue signalling. The way this issue was handled by people at the club was a total disaster, but the motive was sincere, and whichever players run out on Thursday will be supporting those values of the club. As do I.

Des and DCE both spoke very well indeed.

I tested positive for Covid this morning. Heartbroken that I cannot support the team and wear the Pride jersey on Thursday.
Well done Des and DCE, but our management is gutless as well as inept.
How dare they put Des up apologise for their incompetence.

I tested positive for Covid this morning. Heartbroken that I cannot support the team and wear the Pride jersey on Thursday.
Well done Des and DCE, but our management is gutless as well as inept.
How dare they put Des up apologise for their incompetence.
Des and DCE volunteered to speak to the public. Massive credit to them for that.
As for you, get well quick, there'll be other games to attend!

If the entire team and board were not in favour
Why can't the players just release a statement or whatever saying they don't support the message, but will still play and back their team.

Alternatively, why can't the NRL just make a f*cking exception and let the 7 wear the regular strip?

So many people are in the wrong here, but seems no-one wants to budge.
the team should have worn the normal jersey and not announced it before it went through due process and checks. It’s a failure from marketing to the CEO and board.

If the entire team and board were not in favour

the team should have worn the normal jersey and not announced it before it went through due process and checks. It’s a failure from marketing to the CEO and board.

You're giving pretty mixed messages, so I'm struggling to understand where you sit with this issue.

Can you indicate in what capacity you are able to ascertain this information? Do you work for the club or know someone that does?

I suggested one of my kids play it as soccer is too tame and poorly organised and nrl too rough for him. He and another of my kids watched a few games and have gone mad for it.

In fact the ADHD one I have never seen so involved in a watching a game for so long.

That and we have been offered members tickets so you know
mate, all good..sounds like your kids love it.
Enjoy

I've tried at times to get into but can't, no matter how much i tried
Ps - I LOVE Soccer, so I can't talk haha

If they wanted to the NRL could fix this quickly and allow the pride version play along side the whitestrip version of jerseys....there's very little difference. Simple.
But apparently they've already canned that idea. And why wouldn't they. They get to see what reaction a Pride in league weekend would get. They already knew this would happen.
Anyway...is it possible Penrith might give everyone else a chance by using a pride jersey on GF day and having 10 players out.
yeah exactly, the NRL should be flexible on this now, since its become such a ****show

Hi Mark, if you'd seen the presser (I just watched it on the Manly site) and saw the passion with which Des spoke about Ian Roberts, you'd realise it isn't mere virtue signalling. The way this issue was handled by people at the club was a total disaster, but the motive was sincere, and whichever players run out on Thursday will be supporting those values of the club. As do I.

Des and DCE both spoke very well indeed.
Just listened to Des and Chez and they was soooo impressive. These guys are both smart and genuinely empathetic. Des's two personal stories were so genuine and heartfelt. Chez's attitude to his team mates and the task on Thursday night were really impressive and oozed leadership.

Tony Mestrov surely has his work cut out as Dessie laid bare. What a screw up!

Look whatever your personal views is we all have them.. and above all we all as individuals have the right to make choices and decisions based on our own beliefs and culture.. so I'm not hanging the player, i also support inclusiveness and ecceptance no matter what minority, i also see what the club is doing to step up onto a platform .. i think Des did well, he's not a scholar or politician abs has been put into a very difficult space.. as for DCE he showed why he's our captain . Lead from the front, backed his team mates, the club and the fans.. pointed out the difficulty in the situation as footy players this is not their world but vowed to lead the team abs the club with pride and not just in the jersey but to the fans..

Just listened to Des and Chez and they was soooo impressive. These guys are both smart and genuinely empathetic. Des's two personal stories were so genuine and heartfelt. Chez's attitude to his team mates and the task on Thursday night were really impressive and oozed leadership.

Tony Mestrov surely has his work cut out as Dessie laid bare. What a screw up!
The sigh from Des at the very end spoke volumes about his last 48 hours I reckon...

As I understand, some of the players who were considering being bought into 1st grade have now declined citing the same reasons as the initial players who refused to wear the jersey. It’s getting worse by the minute

Des and DCE both spoke very well indeed

You're giving pretty mixed messages, so I'm struggling to understand where you sit with this issue.

Can you indicate in what capacity you are able to ascertain this information? Do you work for the club or know someone that does?
He is close to the team, is disappointed the new jersey didn't go through the usual screening process and was hoisted on the team without due process.

Des and DCE are golden and I won't ever hear a bad word about them

Hmm well...such an ethical quagmire our beloved Pointsbet Sea Eagles find themselves in.

I mean that press conference at Lottoland, sponsored by Bet365, really laid bare the controversial ethical situation our players find themselves in.

Maybe we should cross to Joel Caine at Sportsbet for some advice on how we can set-up a multi...tolerant position to pursue?

I don't know whether to turn and run from this, or carefully walk away from this. Perhaps a compromise. I will amble away at a leisurely stroll - rest assured I will....amble responsibly.

/sarc

Well done to Des and Cherry for the way that they handled that press conference, but poor form to the club basically sending the captain and coach out to face the wolves.

But as Manly fans I think we're all asking where are the Penn's or the other higher ups who made the decision to wear the pride jumper???
If this issue was so important why didn't the club flag it at the start of the season, along with the myriad of other jersey designs our players have been forced to wear and we fans have been forced to endure?
The issue could then have been discussed over time and the ramifications understood by not just our club but the NRL and all other clubs. How many NRL clubs do you think will be following the Manly example?
This issue smacks of a marketing brainfart in the last few weeks rather than a genuine undertaking to support the rainbow nation.
Anyway, if it's such a good idea I look forward to seeing the jersey designs for the other 15 clubs in the NRL.

Who honestly believes more notice of the jersey & discussion with all of the players would have resulted in a different outcome?

These guys aren't boycotting because they weren't consulted, they're boycotting because they don't support the message.

I cannot disclose my position or my contacts for obvious reasons lest I be fired .
What I can add is that of the ten players selected to be included in 1st grade in light of recent events have declined based on the same reasons as the initial players and objections to the treatment of said players. Things are becoming much worse by the minute

my position not my contacts for obvious reasons

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8