Raider (Wighton) in pub fight.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I know this will upset the PC brigade, but what possible justification would there be for Wighton to front a ‘special court for Aboriginal offenders’?! Quite apart from the fact the guy is whiter than I am, he would have to be one of the wealthier young men currently before the courts, where’s the ‘gap’ that needs ‘closing’ with special treatment?!

I know this will upset the PC brigade, but what possible justification would there be for Wighton to front a ‘special court for Aboriginal offenders’?! Quite apart from the fact the guy is whiter than I am, he would have to be one of the wealthier young men currently before the courts, where’s the ‘gap’ that needs ‘closing’ with special treatment?!

.. to be fair Yoka, they may be taking into consideration the gap between his ears ..... how that would necessitate a special tribal council .. no idea ..... wouldn't be because they are hoping for a sweetheart deal would it?

Re Wighton I do not know enough about his childhood / up bringing to comment. It serves a legitimate purpose for indigenous offenders who struggle through the current corrections system

I think this gives Canberra an 'out' for the rest of the season. Because his punishment is not known I'd argue that he should be free to play. Who knows, the punishment could be 100 hours of community work served in the off season with no conviction recorded.

I disagree - he's been found/pleaded guilty.

Whatever punishment he receives under the judicial system should have no bearing on the punishment the club &/or NRL hands down.

Re Wighton I do not know enough about his childhood / up bringing to comment. It serves a legitimate purpose for indigenous offenders who struggle through the current corrections system

Point taken. That said, I also have a relative who’s managed to dodge the same sentences as her accomplices on a few occasions, on account of playing the indigenous card. Being intimately familiar with her background and family structure, fair to say the tribal council does give a softly softly approach in cases where it’s not warranted at times.

The guy pleaded guilty.
Why would he need a different system to sentence him, compared to non indigenous offenders ?

according to rothfield he pleaded(pled?) guilty as long as the video was not shown to the public, the only way it will be seen is from a leak as the deal has been taken.

And the nrl expect the fans to take them seriously, what a joke they have become. Todd obviously knew of this incident and made a decision to look the other way, these charges are serious yet he was allowed to play this year, says alot about his coach. Shame Todd and Ricky shame maybe if it was ur innocent son or daughter getting bashed by a thug u might see things differently.

I would think that penalty is very lenient for pleading guilty to 5 counts of assault and requesting the video not be made public. The video is apparently very brutal.

Lucky he didn't get a year and 100k.

I think what the Raiders' chairman says has merit:
"This penalty is excessive, as Jack still has to face further penalties imposed by the ACT Magistrate and Galambany Courts. We are perplexed as to why the NRL felt the need to impose further punishment before this process was concluded and it sets an extraordinary precedent to the way matters are handled by clubs in the future.

"In light of this, it appears clubs don't really have a role in imposing penalties on their own employees, so perhaps it's time for the NRL and its Integrity Unit to decide these matters, so that there will be a consistent approach for future offences."

Surely this decision pre-determines any penalty the judge will hand down. The NRL shouldn't be interfering until the court case has concluded.

I can’t agree, @The Who.
He is being stood down by the league for blackening the reputation of the game. Lots of folks lose their jobs over bad behaviour independently and before a court ever gets hold of them.
And a court can also have regard to whatever extra-Curial punishment someone has sustained, and take that into account when sentencing.

I think what the Raiders' chairman says has merit:
"This penalty is excessive, as Jack still has to face further penalties imposed by the ACT Magistrate and Galambany Courts. We are perplexed as to why the NRL felt the need to impose further punishment before this process was concluded and it sets an extraordinary precedent to the way matters are handled by clubs in the future.

"In light of this, it appears clubs don't really have a role in imposing penalties on their own employees, so perhaps it's time for the NRL and its Integrity Unit to decide these matters, so that there will be a consistent approach for future offences."

Surely this decision pre-determines any penalty the judge will hand down. The NRL shouldn't be interfering until the court case has concluded.

Wighton has pleaded guilty to the charges, all that remains from a judicial perspective is sentencing.

The NRL don't hold a court to examine his innocence, nor have they punished him before being found (or having pleaded) guilty (unlike one Brett Stewart).

I fail to see why the NRL should wait until the court has sentenced him before deciding their punishment for him?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6