Pro-Referee thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Although I agree that we need one referee...

We can't have it both ways...I can remember us all complaining about Josh Reynolds being 5m offside at the play-the-ball in the 2014 semi-final when DCE tried to take a field goal shot. Finally the referees are policing blatant manipulation of the rules. The rest of the NRL might actually have a chance at beating Melbourne now because Scam and his boys won't be able to wrestle the buggery out of the game and rush up before the ball has been played on their own line anymore.

Sure, there will be teething problems and yes the spectacle will be ruined in the meantime, but we might get our game back at the end of the day. It hasn't been rugby league for a number of years now, just a wrestle-a-thon. If the NRL can keep the teams apart (by using off-side penalties), eventually the game will open up properly and permanently. That's better than simply letting coaches and clubs manipulate the rules to their advantage (Craig Bellamy - check) and choke the contest.

I'd prefer the referees stay strong and keep their stance until teams learn to play the game within the rules, as intended. Short term pain for long term gain.

The Who

Journey Man
Offside can be adjudicated by one linesman; you don't need another ref.
A good game is one that flows.
Penalties kill the match as a spectacle, reduce the chance of tries and lead to undeserved results.
It is a spectator sport - not a punishment!

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Offside can be adjudicated by one linesman; you don't need another ref.
A good game is one that flows.
Penalties kill the match as a spectacle, reduce the chance of tries and lead to undeserved results.
It is a spectator sport - not a punishment!
Did you see the disclaimer at the beginning of the thread?

Yes, one referee.

but...

the spectacle was killed long before the referees started their crack down...and that's the whole point of this penalty-a-thon...it's to try and wrestle back the way the game is played from the coaches who are bending the rules and dictating a dour and colourless product.

The way the game has been played for the last 10 years has been BORING. It's boring because the teams aren't kept apart, the play-the-ball is slow and the teams rush each other so the only tries that are scored are block plays.

The referees are trying to get the teams to change the way they play the game...to play it BY THE RULES.

What is wrong with that?

Why would we turn a blind eye to something that is ruining the game? We need to teach the players and coaches that they need to get back 10 meters, not 8. We need to teach them that they can't rush up until the ball has cleared the ruck...then we might see open and expansive football again.

If we use your model of turning a blind eye, we will continue to watch Melbourne cheat their way to premierships.

No thanks.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Disagree, stop ,start games are boring as bat ****
So is the farking **** that Melbourne have been dishing up for the last 10 years. Don't you get the NRL and referees know that fans don't want stop start games?

They aren't dumb and ignorant, but they are doing what they have to do to try and get the game back to what it should be...

It's short sighted to think that this is just referees ruining the game for no good reason. There is a purpose. No one likes the penalties, that we can all agree on. But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to happen in the short term to fix a problem that is rife in the NRL.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Agree 100% @Snake

Hate the penalties but love the sentiment.

As I posted in another thread start using the sin bin a LOT more, in fact a LOT LOT more.

The players , and coaches will very quickly learn and the first team to adapt will win every game through penalties and then the penny will drop!!

No pain, no gain!!

PS: I hate two refs too but that’s not Snakes argument!!

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm ok with the refs enforcing the rules, but they need to start penalizing blatant milking.
The milking had basically stopped until the refs started this crackdown, now players know the whistle is out, they will play for it all game.

Slater, sereyago etc last night was an embarrassment to Rugby League, and the refs just lapped it up.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I will say...

the NRL should have come out and explained this situation to fans so they understand. They need to come out and publicly address the crack-down and explain to fans the purpose of this approach and the outcome they are aiming for.

Then they might save themselves from so much criticism.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Agree 100% @Snake

Hate the penalties but love the sentiment.

As I posted in another thread start using the sin bin a LOT more, in fact a LOT LOT more.

The players , and coaches will very quickly learn and the first team to adapt will win every game through penalties and then the penny will drop!!

No pain, no gain!!

PS: I hate two refs too but that’s not Snakes argument!!

Actually re-reading he does mention one referee.

Regardless of if they stay with 2 ( and they will) this is about wrestling ( pun intended ) the game back from where Bellamy and co have taken in.

Hate Greenslime with a passion but he and the refs are on the right track!!

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I'm ok with the refs enforcing the rules, but they need to start penalizing blatant milking.
The milking had basically stopped until the refs started this crackdown, now players know the whistle is out, they will play for it all game.

Slater, sereyago etc last night was an embarrassment to Rugby League, and the refs just lapped it up.
Agree with that 100%

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Actually re-reading he does mention one referee.

Regardless of if they stay with 2 ( and they will) this is about wrestling ( pun intended ) the game back from where Bellamy and co have taken in.

Hate Greenslime with a passion but he and the refs are on the right track!!
No you were correct. My central argument is not about the one referee, but I put that at the beginning of my post as a disclaimer to make it clear that this thread is not a direct attack on the other referee thread...some good points were raised and there are issues with the refereeing, but nothing is perfect. Yes, there are certainly areas that the referees could be better, as Mave has pointed out. However, I totally see the purpose of this huge crack down that is currently taking place.

manly al

First Grader
No doubt more judicious use of the sin bin is required in conjunction with any intentional refereeing penalty crack down for the right reasons . Didn"t see much of last night "s game but 33 penalties does seem a bit excessive so again appropriate sin bin utilization may be also be required . Also the big concern in anything to do or associated with N R L refs , consistency . Baz likes the fatigue factor and any better rule enforcement should eventually result in better , more open contests and also ideally with just one ref .

Snake

Snake's Alive!
No doubt more judicious use of the sin bin is required in conjunction with any intentional refereeing penalty crack down for the right reasons . Didn"t see much of last night "s game but 33 penalties does seem a bit excessive so again appropriate sin bin utilization may be also be required . Also the big concern in anything to do or associated with N R L refs , consistency . Baz likes the fatigue factor and any better rule enforcement should eventually result in better , more open contests and also ideally with just one ref .
You make a good point. I imagine teams are more likely rethink their strategies when the sin-bin is used, as opposed to excessive penalties, which they are probably not as concerned about.

Giving away a lot of penalties (albeit less than is currently apparent) was a tactic of sorts, so although it is getting out of hand, it's not that far removed from what teams were already experiencing anyway...but losing a man in the defensive line can have serious ramifications and teams will probably start getting back onside.

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
They really need to introduce a 5-minute sinbin for consistent offside infringements. The penalties keep mounting up because I'm sure the refs aren't comfortable with 10-minute send-offs. Let's just get things over with as quick as possible so we can get back to enjoying some free-flowing footy.

And yes one ref.

brad

First Grader
#Breaking news , History created for the first time in rugby league when a referee gets sent to the bin.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It's shaping as a Mexican standoff - who will bow to public and media pressure. I support the refs adjudicating the actual rules of the game - what a crazy concept that is eh. Problem is cynical farks like Bellamy will continue their gamesmanship as that is how the spirit of the game is applied in Melbourne - push the envelope and bend the rules. I hope that the refs stay the course, and more use of the sin bin will help the message sink in. Problem is that muppets like Gould will use their media profile to whinge and complain and put pressure on Greenturd to put an end to it and we'll be back to where we started.

One area that continues to disappoint massively is how the refs still allow themselves to be milked - have they no self esteem ? There were a couple in last nights game that were down right embarrassing. That's what loses fan support for their efforts.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
They really need to introduce a 5-minute sinbin for consistent offside infringements. The penalties keep mounting up because I'm sure the refs aren't comfortable with 10-minute send-offs. Let's just get things over with as quick as possible so we can get back to enjoying some free-flowing footy.

And yes one ref.
If a second player from your team is sin binned for a similar offence then the captain also must join the 2nd player in the bin.
Make the captain responsible for the team.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Slater took a dive Segeyaro milked a penalty ... players can't loiter in the play the ball ruck or whatever you want to call it. imho

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16