Pro-Referee thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
So is the farking **** that Melbourne have been dishing up for the last 10 years. Don't you get the NRL and referees know that fans don't want stop start games?

They aren't dumb and ignorant, but they are doing what they have to do to try and get the game back to what it should be...

It's short sighted to think that this is just referees ruining the game for no good reason. There is a purpose. No one likes the penalties, that we can all agree on. But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to happen in the short term to fix a problem that is rife in the NRL.

All fair points apart from the part about the NRL not being dumb and ignorant.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
According to the commentators, the refs are pissed off with it too. So I'm not entirely sure that you're actually supporting the refs.
I honestly don't care about the letter of the law as long as it's exactly the same for both sides. Gives me a free flowing game any time.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I too can put up with a stop/start game if it means the likes of Smith get binned. Will be interesting to see if the refs keep up their hard core stance for the remainder of this weekends games'.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I too can put up with a stop/start game if it means the likes of Smith get binned. Will be interesting to see if the refs keep up their hard core stance for the remainder of this weekends games'.

Just sitting down with a coldie after mowing the lawn and watching Rorters v Worriers, I’m expecting a LOT of penalties.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
We as fan's bitch and moan for 8 months a year about how inconsistent the refereeing is; year in, year out. Then, when we finally start seeing the ref's man up and give penalties for things that, well, are penalties?; the media and co jump all over it and cry that they cant get the whistle out of their mouths.

I know right now it is creating a stop and start game and may not be to every-bodies liking, however, at least they are having a crack at the things we fans hate the most. Keep blowing the penalties, keep sending the smiths and co to the sin-bin. Eventually the players/ teams will get the picture and that's when you get your free flowing football back.

The first team that realises its not going stop and adapts, will go a long way to making finals this year.

D

Deleted member 24974

The game has become unwatchable. I completely disagree we needed this penalty blitz to clean up the game. Many people think the best rugby league is State of Origin which has less penalties than any other regular season match.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
We as fan's bitch and moan for 8 months a year about how inconsistent the refereeing is; year in, year out. Then, when we finally start seeing the ref's man up and give penalties for things that, well, are penalties?; the media and co jump all over it and cry that they cant get the whistle out of their mouths.

I know right now it is creating a stop and start game and may not be to every-bodies liking, however, at least they are having a crack at the things we fans hate the most. Keep blowing the penalties, keep sending the smiths and co to the sin-bin. Eventually the players/ teams will get the picture and that's when you get your free flowing football back.

The first team that realises its not going stop and adapts, will go a long way to making finals this year.
Excellent post.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
According to the commentators, the refs are pissed off with it too. So I'm not entirely sure that you're actually supporting the refs.
I honestly don't care about the letter of the law as long as it's exactly the same for both sides. Gives me a free flowing game any time.
But that's just the point...we won't (and haven't) have free flowing games until the likes of Melbourne start playing to the rules. "Real" free flowing football was 10 years ago. The free flowing football before this crack down, was not really free flowing at all. It was wrestle mania and line speed that Usain Bolt would be proud of. It has to stop before we get back to the real free flowing game of the pre- Bellamy coaching era.
The only way back is to penalise the offenders until they change their approach.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
Finally some fans that actually agree with me.

I’m sitting on half way once again at Brookie, and I’ll have the best view of if in fact teams get on side or jump early al a Scam Smith.

Mentioned a few years ago they should penalize and sinbin like crazy for 2yrs for the greater good of the game in the long run, hope they stick with it this time.

Way too many commentators just want to "relate" to the "regular fan" for their own popularity wanting low penalty counts, way too many coaches want to "appear" they are all about low penalty counts for a "free flowing game" when it benefits their team to keep the status quo.

What these penalty counts show is how much leniency and overlooking has been done over the years, no point having a game with rules if they don't apply.

Low penalty counts make it easy for coaches to manipulate the game in a variety of obvious and not so obvious to the casual observer ways.

In saying that i will never agree with fast play the balls offering a better spectacle---i don't find darts out of dummy half or show and goes against a retreating defensive like for simple line breaks all that appealing.

And to imply(in a roundabout way) Melb would have been easier to defeat is nonsense---they were so far ahead technically for the most part along with game analysis, fitness and targeted recruiting.

The other 15 coaches should all be sacked if one club over the last decade was the only team to wrestle with any consistent benefit for continued success----or there is some major conspiracy theory suggesting the rules didn't apply to Melb which is ridiculous.

If teams start following the rules we will get a free flowing game with lasting benefits and lower penalty counts than at present, not lower overall compared to the previous years but low enough to get the right balance.

D

Deleted member 24974

Mentioned a few years ago they should penalize and sinbin like crazy for 2yrs for the greater good of the game in the long run, hope they stick with it this time.

Way too many commentators just want to "relate" to the "regular fan" for their own popularity wanting low penalty counts, way too many coaches want to "appear" they are all about low penalty counts for a "free flowing game" when it benefits their team to keep the status quo.

What these penalty counts show is how much leniency and overlooking has been done over the years, no point having a game with rules if they don't apply.

Low penalty counts make it easy for coaches to manipulate the game in a variety of obvious and not so obvious to the casual observer ways.

In saying that i will never agree with fast play the balls offering a better spectacle---i don't find darts out of dummy half or show and goes against a retreating defensive like for simple line breaks all that appealing.

And to imply(in a roundabout way) Melb would have been easier to defeat is nonsense---they were so far ahead technically for the most part along with game analysis, fitness and targeted recruiting.

The other 15 coaches should all be sacked if one club over the last decade was the only team to wrestle with any consistent benefit for continued success----or there is some major conspiracy theory suggesting the rules didn't apply to Melb which is ridiculous.

If teams start following the rules we will get a free flowing game with lasting benefits and lower penalty counts than at present, not lower overall compared to the previous years but low enough to get the right balance.

Pretty obvious teams are starting to milk penalties as they know referees are looking to penaltalise at every opportunity to please there bosses. It’s a joke if there are not 30 penalties given in this years State of Origin.
I honestly do not have understand any argument suggesting more penalties will cleanup the game. Coaches will always adapt to the rules. Less penalties stand off side and wrestle, more penalties milk penalties as we now see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
Agree 100% @Snake

Hate the penalties but love the sentiment.

As I posted in another thread start using the sin bin a LOT more, in fact a LOT LOT more.

The players , and coaches will very quickly learn and the first team to adapt will win every game through penalties and then the penny will drop!!

No pain, no gain!!

PS: I hate two refs too but that’s not Snakes argument!!
I would bring back the 5min bin and introduce a 3rd one for repeat offenders of 15min.
If coaches aren't deterred by that then they'll lose.
In doing this I would only blow 3 penalties for the same offence the whole game, after that it's just the bin.
That way you wouldn't have the penaltyathon.

johnperi01

Reserve Grader
Penalize them more I reckon, how Leilua didn't get binned for that foul had me scratching my head. I am one eyed though so I'll let it slide :rofl:
In spite of winning that game fairly comfortably, it again highlighted to me how little feel refs have for the crucial incidents. Leilua should have been binned twice, even if the second one was just for making such a dumb play.
Similarly in the Bulldogs Souths clash, Tolman made a legitimate attempt to play the ball but was penalised. From there Souths had the next 4 sets and scored to get themselves back in the game, but didn’t earn the right, as it was only the ref again stepping in when he shouldn’t have. I am no Bulldogs fan, but the Jackson incident on half time again typifies the crucial calls they get wrong.
As for the match tonight, Uate should go if Walker is back with Parker to the wing. Croker is string defensively but adds nothing to our attack or kicking game, while DCE only converts the easykicks.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Pretty obvious teams are starting to milk penalties as they know referees are looking to penaltalise at every opportunity to please there bosses. It’s a joke if there are not 30 penalties given in this years State of Origin.
I honestly do not have understand any argument suggesting more penalties will cleanup the game. Coaches will always adapt to the rules. Less penalties stand off side and wrestle, more penalties milk penalties as we now see.
The focus of the current clean-up is on the ruck area and 10m. How are teams milking penalties in regards to this (apart from the odd pass thrown into an opposition player in the ruck area)?

And yes, coaches will adapt to the rules as you said... they will start to coach their teams to clean up their ruck work and stop racing off the line too early. Sounds good to me.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16