PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Storm v Manly [Round 16, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Every year without fail we have to have a theme of turning an underperforming outside back into a forward. It's been Matai and Taufua in the past and now it's Parker's turn. Remember that last great red headed back that got converted to a backrower ?? Nathan Green says hi Trent

Parker doesn't offer anything as a backrower in my opinion. Certaintly not when we have Guaca, Waddell and possibly Schuster in the squad too.

C & C that's just conjecture as I said, an opinion. Until we see if he can we cant know. I never saw Matai as a forward. Too effective out wide. Parker is no Matai. As for Taufua, the issue is about pace and turning speed. Many backs have become outstanding forwards. Menzies, Randall, Cleal, Tony Williams, Hasler all started in the backs. Even Buhrer played centre at one stage. Wally Lewis started at 5/8 but graduated to lock. It happens.

Keep having to point out that Parker is bigger than some back rowers. He's bigger than Menzies. He plays like a forward in the back line and that's why he cops head injuries like forwards do. His defence is good, he's fast enough to be effective as a back rower. Forwards take head knocks. It happens. Perhaps a Menzies head gear is the answer. But add a few kilos and I think he'd make an excellent roving back rower. But until we see him in that position it is, I accept, only conjecture. But so are suggestions that he couldn't handle it. Lets see if he can.
I like your thinking Bear, we just dont know.
Parker to lock or 2r with Menzies head gear,
then have Funa and Walker as centers
Suli and Hoppa as Wingers, Turbo out the back.
Jake to Prop getting a rest..
Cost us nothing and look at that Super Team.

Parker could kill it with the gear on, The Red Headed Menzies !
I like it

Tom Symonds was a red-headed five-eighth from Easts who became a valuable second rower and good clubman for Manly.
T-Red was good but I don't think he ever played 5/8 at NRL level. Came to us as a backrower who could cover centre in a pinch. Bit different to a guy who has played 4 or 5 seasons as an NRL outside back and then makes the transition to the pack.

Not saying it can't happen, plenty of players have done it, we all know that. Just saying Brad Parker won't be one of those players IMO

T-Red was good but I don't think he ever played 5/8 at NRL level. Came to us as a backrower who could cover centre in a pinch. Bit different to a guy who has played 4 or 5 seasons as an NRL outside back and then makes the transition to the pack.

Not saying it can't happen, plenty of players have done it, we all know that. Just saying Brad Parker won't be one of those players IMO

He actually started on the wing, moved to centre when he joined Manly and then the forwards Never said he played 5/8

Looking like Albert’s debut is imminent - really looking forward to seeing him tomorrow!
If Hoppa doesnt play after that talk-up I will never attempt to work out what Des is thinking or saying again...
Sure makes the loan decision and blow-up by John seem even stranger when Des speaks so glowingly about Albert's 'journey'... maybe a last throw-at-the-stumps to keep him in the maroon and white?

Looking like Albert’s debut is imminent - really looking forward to seeing him tomorrow!
Yep Hoppa will debut and I am guessing it’s at fullback.

Next question is where will Jack G play? The dominos will fall into place after that

Firstly, I dont know if Des had just woke up, or it was just the camera angle and lighting, but he looked quite drawn. Could the stress be hitting him that badly? His endorsement of Albert says something to me about a concern that he is looking elsewhere especially given his father's rantings. The comments were frankly glowing and one wonders if that is not just aimed at us, but also for the Hopoate family, to have Albert wanting to stay. Just a feeling I was getting. A bit of sales talk there

Superb evasion on that question. Really he was saying no comment.
Even if we get to that point and he doesnt play the club is not gonna come out and say "we are holding him back"... fans come to games to watch the turbos of the NRL play... the narrative will be "he's not ready"... with maybe a r26 appearance to reassure NSW selectors...

If our players play with half of the intensity that their Legendary coach did they will give them selves a chance of winning against the odds

LOL MAN WIN LOL. The storm could play there 3rd grade park footy team and this current squad would probably let put 50 on em before they even started to play.
I dont think this is a LOL match . Far from it
The fact is ....
We might not be a Consistent winning team
We have proven to be a Capable winning team
We are are going in with a Chance
*EVERY MOMENT OF OUR LIFE IS A SECOND CHANCE . LETS TAKES IT MANLY AND TAKE THE STORM OUT !!! *
be71a6432f88953c3b1af39d2efd0334.jpg

With the team selected, we don't have many options available.

Considerations;

1. A back rower selected as centre - this has been discussed at length
2. An untried junior who, if selected would have to stand up in front of experienced hard men, Papenhuyzen, Brenko Lee or Olam. That is unless he replaces Jorge where he opposes Addo-Carr.
3. If he did go to the wing, it does not solve scenario 1 above?
4. Miski is a winger, and winger only. I feel he on the list as insurance against last minute injury.
5. At the moment the only cover for a mid game injury in the backline is Croker.

I think that Jetski will stay where he is and Hoppa may get a run instead of Jorge.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6