PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Storm v Manly [Round 16, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Well if Hoppa turns out to be the next big thing in RL at least I can say I saw his debut live. It many will get that chance.

Wackos whispers saying thommo might be a late out Waddell to run on and hoppa to bench. Doesn’t make sense to me - if thommo is out hoppa starts at centre and JetSki goes to bench for mine

Bloody sCam if he sits out we could win.. after last weeks epic beat down im expecting a massive turnaround. We'll see what team DES goes with. DT claiming hoppa will debut.. he better be fullback. If its Garrick plus Slowfua on the wing i cant see us winning
LOL MAN WIN LOL. The storm could play there 3rd grade park footy team and this current squad would probably let put 50 on em before they even started to play.

I like that idea , Jake plays like that in origin
I think Paseka could play on the edge
Oka & Paseka as the edge forwards
Marty, AFB Jake & Keppie front row rotation & Sirro at lock

For mine, Paseka isn't mobile enough for the edge. He'd get burned for pace big time (to that point, we've already seen that happen whenever he does have to fill-in in the back row). He's a prop. A bloody big prop and he's only now starting to realise that his size is his big advantage. I'd be leaving him in the front row if at all possible.

A front row rotation of AFB, Jake, Marty, Paseka and Keppie would be a strong rotation. And both Jake and Marty (or even Keppie) can also be used for the back row and lock if needed so it covers all 5 spots that aren't hooker.

For mine, Paseka isn't mobile enough for the edge. He'd get burned for pace big time (to that point, we've already seen that happen whenever he does have to fill-in in the back row). He's a prop. A bloody big prop and he's only now starting to realise that his size is his big advantage. I'd be leaving him in the front row if at all possible.

A front row rotation of AFB, Jake, Marty, Paseka and Keppie would be a strong rotation. And both Jake and Marty (or even Keppie) can also be used for the back row and lock if needed so it covers all 5 spots that aren't hooker.
Is a front row rotation without Taupau any less effective?I think he could hold the key to Manly strengthening other areas.Taupau’s best years are behind him and his money could be spent to add back row depth or a quality centre.Not to mention the fact he is still an attractive proposition for another club.

Is a front row rotation without Taupau any less effective?I think he could hold the key to Manly strengthening other areas.Taupau’s best years are behind him and his money could be spent to add back row depth or a quality centre.Not to mention the fact he is still an attractive proposition for another club.
Agreed.

If Hopa FINALLY gets to play and we have DCE, Funa and Cust in that back line, and Olak somewhere in the forward mix, they are starting to look like a potential winning outfit, and we have a chance against the Storm. Still would like Parker somewhere on the bench as a mobile forward. Other than Sirro most of our forwards are power players but not that mobile. And then there's Schuster

Ditto ... as in agreed.

If Hopa FINALLY gets to play and we have DCE, Funa and Cust in that back line, and Olak somewhere in the forward mix, they are starting to look like a potential winning outfit, and we have a chance against the Storm. Still would like Parker somewhere on the bench as a mobile forward. Other than Sirro most of our forwards are power players but not that mobile. And then there's Schuster

Parker ... he who gets KO'd with alarming regularity just playing in the centres, as a bench forward?

No no no no no.

Brad Parker is in the unfortunate position of really being a one position player. Yes he can play wing if need be (though not very well really, and his lack of pace isn't good), but essentially he's a centre and that's it. He's not the ball playing type centre that you can play at 5/8 or fullback occasionally (though he does seem OK at catching a bomb.....and that seemed enough for Brendan Elliot). And physically he's not really tough enough to be a back rower, even off the bench.

It leaves a bit of a quandary when (or if) there are better centre options available.

Keep having to point out that Parker is bigger than some back rowers. He's bigger than Menzies. He plays like a forward in the back line and that's why he cops head injuries like forwards do. His defence is good, he's fast enough to be effective as a back rower. Forwards take head knocks. It happens. Perhaps a Menzies head gear is the answer. But add a few kilos and I think he'd make an excellent roving back rower. But until we see him in that position it is, I accept, only conjecture. But so are suggestions that he couldn't handle it. Lets see if he can.

Hopefully the rain stays away tomorrow, prediction of a "chance" of a small shower in the late afternoon 22°

Parker has actually seemed to have improved his running style and has developed an ability [ or knack ] since the end stages of last season or so to beat an opposition first tackler effort quite well . Front on defence and general tackling quite consistent as well so maybe as an edge player and runner away from the teeth of a ruck and as a backrower could make him quite effective .Still would rate Hamole and most likely Schuster ahead of him if that was a consideration and then to accommodate siro as well . More like in the Gavin Cooper mould and he has made a decent fist in playing there . Certainly as a versatile bench player as well with his given strengths and dedication not out the question in the future as well if there are some better centre options .

Keep having to point out that Parker is bigger than some back rowers. He's bigger than Menzies. He plays like a forward in the back line and that's why he cops head injuries like forwards do. His defence is good, he's fast enough to be effective as a back rower. Forwards take head knocks. It happens. Perhaps a Menzies head gear is the answer. But add a few kilos and I think he'd make an excellent roving back rower. But until we see him in that position it is, I accept, only conjecture. But so are suggestions that he couldn't handle it. Lets see if he can.
Parker needs to turn himself into Aubusson 2.0. He can cover wing, Centre, second row at s pinch. Then he would have sone value as a bench player or fringe player.

Every year without fail we have to have a theme of turning an underperforming outside back into a forward. It's been Matai and Taufua in the past and now it's Parker's turn. Remember that last great red headed back that got converted to a backrower ?? Nathan Green says hi Trent

Parker doesn't offer anything as a backrower in my opinion. Certaintly not when we have Guaca, Waddell and possibly Schuster in the squad too.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8