PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Raiders v Manly [Round 6, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
YOU KNOW.....

I was watching a repeat of the france v tonga rugby world cup 2019 match on tv as I'm 3 parts french and 8 parts tongan....

And a try was scored but they went to the TMO for a ruling.

Guess what on

A FORWARD PASS.

So league "bosses", don't tell me you need some magical space aged techno-filled ball when in a world cup match last year officials can quite competently use the tmo (bunker) to rule on forward passes.

#givemanlythetwopoints

YOU KNOW.....

I was watching a repeat of the france v tonga rugby world cup 2019 match on tv as I'm 3 parts french and 8 parts tongan....

Guess what on

A FORWARD PASS.

So league "bosses", don't tell me you need some magical space aged techno-filled ball when in a world cup match last year can quite competently use the tmo (bunker) to rule on forward passes.

#givemanlythetwopoints

So how many parts do you have in total?

YOU KNOW.....

Guess what on

A FORWARD PASS.

So league "bosses", don't tell me you need some magical space aged techno-filled ball when in a world cup match last year can quite competently use the tmo (bunker) to rule on forward passes.

#givemanlythetwopoints

Ahhh...but Rugby balls are different to Rugby League Balls!

YOU KNOW.....

Guess what on

A FORWARD PASS.

So league "bosses", don't tell me you need some magical space aged techno-filled ball when in a world cup match last year officials can quite competently use the tmo (bunker) to rule on forward passes.

#givemanlythetwopoints

Just watched it too.
Funny thing is the touchie was right there on two occasions ( the pass from the halkback back to the hooker from the lineout looked forward too ) in that play but did nothing. In his defence it is Rugby Union and history tells us that forward passes are okay.

I think we might be in trouble this week. No Taupau, Suli, Taufua on top of Fainu for the season is a massive injury toll leading in to last year's grand finalists at full strength. It's going to take a big effort and an extremely smart game for us to get up in this one. Not sure we are playing smart enough so far this season.

It's not just what he does with ball in hand BBTB... I know who shows up in cover defense more out of cherry and walks - despite being 20kmh slower... not saying dce is perfect, he is human and has good/bad days but I dont believe for a second that he is a cat (like some ST contributors seem to think) and I reckon he is a lightning rod for blame when we dont win or aren't at our best... broncs game is a good example, he turned that game with 10 min to go in 1st half (drew penalty to prevent a try and got repeat 6 with tidy grubber b4 Funa try) but he still copped crap... but that's why he gets paid the big $ I guess...
Exactly he only played the last 10 minutes after walker and turbo got us back in the game. He also cost us taupau with his lack of reading the game. Turbo called for a chip and chase as there FB was on the goal line and what does cherry do? He kicks long straight to the fullback.. next tackle taupau injured middle of the field. Instead of a certain 4 pointer. Iv watched the game 3 times now.

Last edited:
I think we might be in trouble this week. No Taupau, Suli, Taufua on top of Fainu for the season is a massive injury toll leading in to last year's grand finalists at full strength. It's going to take a big effort and an extremely smart game for us to get up in this one. Not sure we are playing smart enough so far this season.
They havent been too hot the last few week as well. If we start fast we can get them... i dont see us coming back from another 18 points deficit with these guys. They arent that good we beat them twice last year

Might be an unpopular opinion but I reckon Jorge is a massive loss for us at the moment. George Williams will pepper Funa all night long and have Rapana all over him. Obviously Tafua has his faults and isn't great at jumping, turning, reading the play yada yada and there's been a lot of talk of the need and importance of tall dynamic wingers. Well we had one the other night against brisbane and he was exploited. Did his best and good on the young fella, but Seibold exploited him and the damage was done. Not saying Jorge would have been any better but he is a presence. He could've belted Xavier Coates in the first 10 minutes and the broncos play the rest of the game on the other side of the park. For all his faults, just being on the team sheet puts the oppositions whole right side on notice and has them all nervous. It's the Matai effect. We also missed his carries. Tom was taking the hit ups that Jorge normally would. Courageous, but not our star fullbacks job to be doing grunt work.
Xavier Coates is close to the best jumping winger ive seen. You should see the tries he’s put on for Tweed. Funa learned and was much better in second half.
And when he was offered a chance he was positioned well and finished with polish.
That said I too love my Horhay and he is obvious first choice

Exactly he only played the last 10 minutes after walker and turbo got us back in the game. He also cost us taupau with his lack of reading the game. Turbo called for a chip and chase as there FB was on the goal line and what does cherry do? He kicks long straight to the fullback.. next tackle taupau injured middle of the field. Instead of a certain 4 pointer. Iv watched the game 3 times now.
Alright so our interpretations of 'certain 4 pointer' are totally different and how you can blame cherry for Tapau's injury is beyond me... walker and TT got us back in the game AFTER chez stopped the try for 24-0 and got a repeat set from nothing - as you know if you've watched it 3 times (only twice for me)... he also ran a perfect line for his try...

Interesting that you are not critical of some of TTs early efforts (eg his attempted 'tackle') on Boyd... or what about Walkz 'effort' on Staggs?

I guess we all see what we want to see in the end...

Wait, so you're now blaming Chez for Marty's injury?

Thai-gay might be a 'good bloke' but there are plenty of those that are bitter... and he is just bitter that cherry pulled that penalty on him and hes taking his opportunity to bring it back up and have another whinge about how unfair it all is...

its weak but predictable 'commentary' from the broncs 'legend'... I have no issue with him addressing what happened last week - i hate the ruling too - but to call DCE a serial diver because of an incident 3 years ago is P*SS WEAK and personally I prefer my 'legend's to have a bit more class...
Hey Frank i was just making a point, i dont actually think the third man( in a toilet cubicle) is a good bloke.

Alright so our interpretations of 'certain 4 pointer' are totally different and how you can blame cherry for Tapau's injury is beyond me... walker and TT got us back in the game AFTER chez stopped the try for 24-0 and got a repeat set from nothing - as you know if you've watched it 3 times (only twice for me)... he also ran a perfect line for his try...

Interesting that you are not critical of some of TTs early efforts (eg his attempted 'tackle') on Boyd... or what about Walkz 'effort' on Staggs?

I guess we all see what we want to see in the end...
Stopped the try... what the heck it was pure luck he stopped nothing. You mean the dive? Wow.. walker passed to dce didn't he? Staggs kicked behind Parker and the winger walker tried to get there but thats not his man its parkers. Walker got us a repeat set and set up all the tries or had a hand in them.
Certain 4 pointer as the fb was on the goal line and dce and turbo were in prime position you can see turbo call for it yet... then moments later taupau gone

Stopped the try... what the heck it was pure luck he stopped nothing. You mean the dive? Wow.. walker passed to dce didn't he? Staggs kicked behind Parker and the winger walker tried to get there but thats not his man its parkers. Walker got us a repeat set and set up all the tries or had a hand in them.
Certain 4 pointer as the fb was on the goal line and dce and turbo were in prime position you can see turbo call for it yet... then moments later taupau gone
So Chez cops it for his bad (and the imaginary with a 'certain' 4 points and the Tapau injury) while Walkz is praised for his good (suggest you have a 4th look at how much effort he made to get to Staggs - "Yours!")... makes sense now...
Your mind is obviously made up on DCE which makes any further discussion pointless...

Xavier Coates is close to the best jumping winger ive seen. You should see the tries he’s put on for Tweed. Funa learned and was much better in second half.
And when he was offered a chance he was positioned well and finished with polish.
That said I too love my Horhay and he is obvious first choice

Indeed. Rapana cannot do what Coates did last week, Funa will be fine.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8