PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Parramatta v Manly [Round 25, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
MATCH PREVIEW

Eels v Sea Eagles: Moeroa, Stone called up; Elliot in for Turbo
Manly are back to life without Tom Trbojevic (pectoral tear) as they head to Bankwest Stadium to battle the Eels.

Both clubs are finals-bound so there's no immediate squeeze on this result. But the Sea Eagles' progress through September might have a shorter shelf life now that 'Turbo' has had his engines switched off.

Manly won four of the 10 matches Trbojevic missed earlier in the season through two separate hamstring tears, as further evidence of his value to the side.

The Eels would enjoy ironing out a few wrinkles that have caused a minor drop in form. They followed four straight wins with back-to-back losses to the Bulldogs and Broncos over the past fortnight.

Match odds provider: sportsbet
Home Team Eels Odds
$1.55
Away Team Sea Eagles Odds
$2.40

The Rundown
Team news
Eels: Brad Arthur has made a couple of personnel moves, promoting Tepai Moeroa and Ray Stone to the bench at the expense of Peni Terepo and David Gower. Marata Niukore has been named to start at lock, with Daniel Alvaro back to the bench.

Sea Eagles: Brendan Elliot slots into the fullback role in the absence of Tom Trbojevic (pectoral). Also on the injured list are back-rower Jack Gosiewski (knee) and bench forward Morgan Boyle (arm). Corey Waddell moves into the starting side and Sean Keppie comes onto the bench for his NRL debut. Lloyd Perrett also joins the bench.

Key match-up
The way opposing halfbacks Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles) and Mitch Moses (Eels) choose to end their sets will be a feature of this game. The Eels failed to complete 11 of their 38 sets in the loss to the Broncos and the Manly didn't finish off 10 of their 31 sets going down to Storm. Both these No.7s pride themselves on not only controlling their game plans, but getting to their kicks. So whoever impresses more on the fifth tackle options will go a long way to securing a win. They are also in top-three in the NRL for try assists this year.

For the Eels to win
Getting the back five back to ignite more often. Both centre Michael Jennings and winger Blake Ferguson have been out injured recently, which has disrupted the flow a little. Jennings and Maika Sivo are a powerful combination but Ferguson and mid-season Penrith recruit Waqa Blake could be equally as dangerous - they just need time. Last week was their first game together.

For the Sea Eagles to win
Cherry-Evans, his two hookers in Api Koroisau and Manase Fainu, and five-eighth Dylan Walker have to make sure they continue to keep the attack flowing without Trbojevic. Engaging the ball-playing skills of the other Trbojevic brother, Jake, will go a long way towards that. TT's likely replacement Brendan Elliot also knows the drill as he's played 11 of his 15 games this year at No.1. So he won't need a lot of tutoring from Cherry-Evans - he just needs to pick up where he left off the last time Turbo was absent.

Brett Kimmorley says
The great old rivalry is back again. The unfortunate thing for Manly is that Tom Trbojevic is gone. His absence takes so much away from the team and will put a lot of pressure on DCE to be the main creator in attack outside of the forwards. Blake Ferguson’s return was a huge in for Parramatta last week. They want to get on a winning note before the finals and I think Brad Arthur will have them absolutely primed for this. Eels by 2

Stat Attack
Cherry-Evans leads the NRL in 40/20s and he loves to turn the momentum of a game by catching the opposition off guard.

And another thing ...
Former Roosters and Fiji international prop Kane Evans is looking to celebrate his 100th NRL game by playing in Eels colours. He's run over 110 metres per game for the past four weeks so another effort like that will warrant popping a champagne cork or two.

eaglebuzz

Bencher
Unfortunately our lack of depth is being exposed now. This has been a great year but I can't see us lifting the trophy at season's end.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If Fainu doesn’t start there is something wrong. You get one chance in knockout semis. Playing API for 30 minutes and not scoring as is usually the case is a dangerous move. Bring him on to protect a lead at the backend or to rest Fainu either side of half time. We are a different side with him on the field. It’s very frustrating to watch.

In fairness its cherries job and not apis to get us rolling and good field position in the first 30. Api is there to keep the ruck tight and help jake with the d in the middle so jake can ball play and help api run the team unti Fainu comes on it seems

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It’s up to our 2 front rowers to get stuck in early make those metres ,Once we get on the front foot and keep powering forward the rest will take care of it self
The slime will try and bash us no doubt about it , If we can maintain that and make the metres through the ruck that’s when this Manly team is at its best , everyone has to step up and remember we are at the business end now and show the haters we are not done yet

brad

First Grader
MATCH PREVIEW

Eels v Sea Eagles: Moeroa, Stone called up; Elliot in for Turbo
Manly are back to life without Tom Trbojevic (pectoral tear) as they head to Bankwest Stadium to battle the Eels.

Both clubs are finals-bound so there's no immediate squeeze on this result. But the Sea Eagles' progress through September might have a shorter shelf life now that 'Turbo' has had his engines switched off.

Manly won four of the 10 matches Trbojevic missed earlier in the season through two separate hamstring tears, as further evidence of his value to the side.

The Eels would enjoy ironing out a few wrinkles that have caused a minor drop in form. They followed four straight wins with back-to-back losses to the Bulldogs and Broncos over the past fortnight.

Match odds provider: sportsbet
Home Team Eels Odds
$1.55
Away Team Sea Eagles Odds
$2.40

The Rundown

Team news
Eels: Brad Arthur has made a couple of personnel moves, promoting Tepai Moeroa and Ray Stone to the bench at the expense of Peni Terepo and David Gower. Marata Niukore has been named to start at lock, with Daniel Alvaro back to the bench.

Sea Eagles: Brendan Elliot slots into the fullback role in the absence of Tom Trbojevic (pectoral). Also on the injured list are back-rower Jack Gosiewski (knee) and bench forward Morgan Boyle (arm). Corey Waddell moves into the starting side and Sean Keppie comes onto the bench for his NRL debut. Lloyd Perrett also joins the bench.

Key match-up

The way opposing halfbacks Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles) and Mitch Moses (Eels) choose to end their sets will be a feature of this game. The Eels failed to complete 11 of their 38 sets in the loss to the Broncos and the Manly didn't finish off 10 of their 31 sets going down to Storm. Both these No.7s pride themselves on not only controlling their game plans, but getting to their kicks. So whoever impresses more on the fifth tackle options will go a long way to securing a win. They are also in top-three in the NRL for try assists this year.

For the Eels to win

Getting the back five back to ignite more often. Both centre Michael Jennings and winger Blake Ferguson have been out injured recently, which has disrupted the flow a little. Jennings and Maika Sivo are a powerful combination but Ferguson and mid-season Penrith recruit Waqa Blake could be equally as dangerous - they just need time. Last week was their first game together.

For the Sea Eagles to win

Cherry-Evans, his two hookers in Api Koroisau and Manase Fainu, and five-eighth Dylan Walker have to make sure they continue to keep the attack flowing without Trbojevic. Engaging the ball-playing skills of the other Trbojevic brother, Jake, will go a long way towards that. TT's likely replacement Brendan Elliot also knows the drill as he's played 11 of his 15 games this year at No.1. So he won't need a lot of tutoring from Cherry-Evans - he just needs to pick up where he left off the last time Turbo was absent.

Brett Kimmorley says

The great old rivalry is back again. The unfortunate thing for Manly is that Tom Trbojevic is gone. His absence takes so much away from the team and will put a lot of pressure on DCE to be the main creator in attack outside of the forwards. Blake Ferguson’s return was a huge in for Parramatta last week. They want to get on a winning note before the finals and I think Brad Arthur will have them absolutely primed for this. Eels by 2

Stat Attack

Cherry-Evans leads the NRL in 40/20s and he loves to turn the momentum of a game by catching the opposition off guard.

And another thing ...

Former Roosters and Fiji international prop Kane Evans is looking to celebrate his 100th NRL game by playing in Eels colours. He's run over 110 metres per game for the past four weeks so another effort like that will warrant popping a champagne cork or two.
4 from 10 with Elliot, if I can remember we should of won another 4 , not bad really.

susan

Bencher
Think we are a decent chance v Parra as they are overrated and Brown missing hurts them. After that we are toast. Bench outside of Fainu just simply not near the level required.
Either way what a year. Credit to everyone in the club. Manly is back.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Think we are a decent chance v Parra as they are overrated and Brown missing hurts them. After that we are toast. Bench outside of Fainu just simply not near the level required.
Either way what a year. Credit to everyone in the club. Manly is back.

They said the same things about not just our bench but our whole side in the beginning of the year . They said we were no chance of top eight

They wrote us off

But the Mighty Sea eagles keep on writing their own script

The moral of the story .....

It matters nothing what the negative nellys think

self-image-blog.jpg

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Good points.
The challenge may well be mental as much as anything.
Very deflating for fans that we've lost our big gun, and it must have affected the players too. And this after they've come through the toughest run home of all clubs, not to mention every so-called expert saying we are zero chance without Tom.
However I think Des will relish the challenge of raising the players' spirits, so I am looking forward to seeing how we play on Friday.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
This may be our most important game of the season!

We are very deserving of our place on the ladder. Personally, I've never had expectations of Manly winning the comp this year as we are still developing combinations and haven't fully dominated many sides. Apart from that, teams like the Storm & Roosters with much more experience and fire power across the park are ahead of us at present.

Earlier in the year, we were playing very well without Turbo, Walker & DCE for differing periods. Now, at the pointy end of the season, we are without Turbo again and Thompson for the first time (for the last two games) plus a couple of regular bench forwards. Can we recover mentally (in time) & regain the resilience we've been demonstrating all year?

The Eels are virtually at full strength, whereas we are down on troops - at Brookie the reverse was true. This will be our first game ever at BankWest where the Eels have a very good record. They will be pumped to blow us off the park as was the Storm last week.

They have lot of strike power in the backs - on paper, more potential for points than us. However, the Eels don't always respond well to pressure and if we aim up from the opening whistle, our forwards can dominate theirs. This, together with astute kicking games from our halves, can put us in the position to control field position, create points and win the game. It is very very important that our senior players show the way with inspiring performances!

May we all be smiling during & after the game @:D @:D @:D

all is not lost as we have not had more than two losses in a row all year ...

Rosko

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Totally agree. We are going to have our best finish in years and we have people already looking at the cricket calendar. Look at who we have in our squad and how they are used. We can win the 1st 2 weeks of semis still with the injuries we have.
Still a lot of fight left here and I tell you we won’t lie down easy.
Bring on some dry weather and some slick footy! Anything can happen.
Love ya work (although we did actually finish 6th only 2 years ago, and probably will again...)

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was on a work site yesterday and heard a tradie say to another tradie something along the lines of "I'm looking forward to Friday's game against Manly. Tom Turbo's out so we should have a good win."

:giggle: (which is exactly what I did)

If that's the slime's mentality then I say pfftt :wait: there's more than one player in our team and we're coming to get you :rock:

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16
13 6 6 26 15