PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Warriors [Round 13, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Oh yes
showers with 30 mm of rain predicted for Friday.
just what we need.
i know this sounds crazy but after what we dished up tonight I will go so far as to say warriors start favourites in my mind.

If we can’t turn up against the warriors after what we showed tonight then we never will.

This week for me is Des’s biggest test so far.

on paper we should beat the warriors if we play a high completion , error free game, kicking into the corners, playing smart footy.

But after what I saw tonight I really don’t know.

no where near. but probably better than Taufua, Elliott and maybe Parker in attack at least.

The players you highlighted are a classic example of manly being too old for the times. Staggs, Farnworth & Crichton are all arguably the best young centres in the game and have limited NRL experience... we have 'experienced guys' who are just simply worse than them, there is no two ways about it.
If Fanu is no where near as you say to all the other top centres then what have we achieved in competing with the best by replacing the others with Fanu ?

Warriors nearly beat the roosters and beat Wests in their past 2. This could go either way. We will cone out firing I think. Man I hope Siros not out. But on the flip side if he is at least Suli will see sone early ball

It gets bandied about often, however there is no doubt this is the MIGOTY. With some of these poor performances we’re extremely lucky to still be in the finals mix, but a win this week and one that actually shows some ruthlessness is a must.

How do you compare Funa with Farnworth , Staggs , Crichton , Ramien ?
I haven't seen funa play to much other than his fg appearances and a cpl of cc games. Its safe to say staggs is well ahead of him and may be his whole career. Staggs is something special. He is probably closer to chricton in terms of development. I think chricton is a lil overrated at this stage. Lucky to be in the team he is in. Makes him look better. Solid player but I think he will drop away. But until funa gets a crack In the centres who knows... has potential

The teams Manly has trouble with are the ones with speedy backlines and 'instinctive' players. Cronulla, Illawarra and the 'Riff showed that.
Generally speaking we can handle teams with structure who try to beat us through the forwards.
I'm expecting us to beat the Worriers because they have lost some of their backline strike power but I reckon the Titans would beat us if we played them next round because they chance their arm and throw the ball around.
It's plain to see that our forwards are not only our strength but it is where we are scoring our tries. How many tries have Sandwich, Parker and Suli scored between themselves? Four? Five, maybe?
Yet the young Typhuna has scored that many from just three appearances.
Isn't it obvious that our backline without Turbo just isn't good enough. Turbo plastered over the cracks, but without him we lack speed and creativity.
The only answer is to try new players. Now is not the time to "play safe" and stick to the known under performers. What is the worst that can happen? We get beaten by more than the 32 points we did last night?

The teams Manly has trouble with are the ones with speedy backlines and 'instinctive' players. Cronulla, Illawarra and the 'Riff showed that.
Generally speaking we can handle teams with structure who try to beat us through the forwards.
I'm expecting us to beat the Worriers because they have lost some of their backline strike power but I reckon the Titans would beat us if we played them next round because they chance their arm and throw the ball around.
It's plain to see that our forwards are not only our strength but it is where we are scoring our tries. How many tries have Sandwich, Parker and Suli scored between themselves? Four? Five, maybe?
Yet the young Typhuna has scored that many from just three appearances.
Isn't it obvious that our backline without Turbo just isn't good enough. Turbo plastered over the cracks, but without him we lack speed and creativity.
The only answer is to try new players. Now is not the time to "play safe" and stick to the known under performers. What is the worst that can happen? We get beaten by more than the 32 points we did last night?
Commonsense and spot on. There is another downside to not blooding players now. You just have to do it next season and that pushes their development another season down the track. Fair dinkum if there is anyone out their still harbouring hopes of winning a comp this year they are delusional.

In all likelihood the results won’t change , may get worse but the experience will be invaluable.

We need a centre because Parker has taken too many head knocks, he needs an extended period without contact. I'm no doctor but it's almost every second week and a big concern.
The obvious solution of Walker to centre is a non-starter because he's busted again.
If Hoppa is available... I'd like to see him and Funa come in to replace Parker and Jorge. Sorry Jorge.
Funa could go to centre with Albert wing, or maybe Albert fullback, Elliott left centre and Funa wing.
Olakaua'atu must come onto the bench if Siro is out.
Schuster? Maybe too many inexperienced guys at once but if he gets put in anywhere it will be a positive and something for me to look forward to.

Said in another thread. What are the NRL protocols re concussion??? Surely this amount of head knocks is looked at in head office. It’s a joke if it isn’t. If Brad was a boxer he wouldn’t be fighting for twelve months.

If Fanu is no where near as you say to all the other top centres then what have we achieved in competing with the best by replacing the others with Fanu ?
Fanu is a great hooker but not known as a center,besides he is awaiting the outcome of his legal case .Funa is who I think you mean ,and he was getting better each game tbh and not sure why he was ever dropped in the 1st place

Schuster for Parker
Funa for Jorge
Cust for Walker
Olokoatu for Siro
Metcalfe for Croker.
These aren't as drastic as they may seem but gives us so much variety in attack. And other than Siro should stay that way all year.

Side note: Id also consider Boyle as he can atleast make metres off the bench.
I like that team ,has Metcalf played hooker ,supposedly his defence is not that good ? also what about Sipley ,last year he was bending the line and improving with each game before I think an injury

Interesting comments from Zorba this morning. Can’t say I don’t agree with him on a number of those.

Zorba said he talked to Des about bringing some young blokes in to make changes to our weaknesses in the team but he said Des wants to stay loyal to his players
Dear Des ...
**You need to stay loyal to all the Manly players in your squad and not just the same team you keep selecting
**Staying loyal to players that are not up to standard is like the captain that is staying loyal to the sinking Titanic and eventually those players will take you down along with the star players in the team and sink the lot of you down to the bottom of the ladder.
** The young guys in the NRL Manly squad are there for a reason . Give them the opportunity and the confidence and the reason why they can excel .
** There is nothing more sadder than watching players give it their best when their best is not good enough and that is what I saw last night . Watching the same weaknesses and deficiencies as the more faster , stronger , Athletic and skillful opponents humiliate them and the Legendary Manly Jumper .
** Your loyalty to the same 17 is only creating a comfort zone and I think that you do know that great things have never come from comfort zones
7bbd4a4a12278dd6419e21aada8580d2.jpg

I like that team ,has Metcalf played hooker ,supposedly his defence is not that good ? also what about Sipley ,last year he was bending the line and improving with each game before I think an injury
100% yes, Sipley is in my 17 each and every week. Must have forgotten to add him. I deadset reckon our players not playing would beat our current 17 minus AFB , jake and chez

Even not including Walker and Turbo we have this spare.
Hoppa
Funa
Harper
Schuster
Miski
Cust
Metcalfe
Sipley
ZDC
Saddler
Olokoatu
T rex
Gosiewski
If you added Turbo, Chez, AFB, Taupau, Suli and Jake to that side it would easily beat the side named against Panthers

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2